• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fatal Exception error

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know what causes the error message below?

Fatal Exception: Possible Deadlock - OS Lock Timed out!

I get it when opening topics (or while waiting for them to open), usually the ones with DHTML features.  I have several of them in my project (25-50 topics).  It does not cause RH to close but does ignore the open topic request, which (for me) hangs to begin with.

Edition - RH HTML

Version - RH8

Project Size - 1500 topics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where is your project stored when you edit? Your local C drive or on a network resource? If it's on the network, close things down and copy the project to your local C drive. Then try again.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the timely response.  To answer your question, my project is located on my hard drive - my Desktop to be exact.  I learned the hard way a long time ago about storing it on a network drive/disk share.  I think it is related to the issue I'm having surrounding the slowness of the program (sorry for plugging that issue), which is still unresolved.  My next step may be to back everything up and do an uninstall/reinstall, per a suggestion from someone.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to consult the Robo brain trust about this error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Per your suggestion, I went to Peter's site and followed the instructions for step 7....No more fatal exception errors, topics open faster and the program runs faster overall.  I appreciate your assistance with this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. What about RH 7? That's what I have. As far as I can remember, I only seem to be getting this on one particular project though. I tried the suggestion on #7, but I still get the Fatal Exception error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is one project, it's the old solution. Zip up a copy as a backup. Then make a couple of copies of the project to work on. In one copy trash half the topics and see if you still get the error. If not, in another copy trash the other half, that should error. Now make copies of that. Repeat the process and you will eventually find the rogue topic(s).

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, something in a topic or topics is causing this? Any idea what? Maybe that would help me know what to look for.

Also, once the bad topic(s) is found what do I do to fix it?

Many thanks,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared.

I'd carry out the same process on the topic content as you did on the project content (i.e. thrash half the content). It is difficult to say what to do once you have found the offending item. It may be worth creating a new topic and copying / pasting the content but this may just copy the offending item. I'd create the topic from scratch in this instance.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Colum. Thankfully right now it seems to be behaving. Maybe my system restart helped, I don't know. But so far today, I'm not getting those errors on this project.

*crosses fingers*

If it crops its head again, I'll see if I can track down and correct the offending topic(s).

Regards,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp