Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Location bar does not display in CSH window

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning all,

I've got a RH8 project calling a custom CSH window. We want the location bar to appear in the help window so users can navigate forward and backwards among the topics.

I've created a new window in RH8 and selceted the Location Bar and Resizeable checkboxes under Properties (CSH API use only).

When I generate and test on my local system, the location bar does indeed appear. However, when calling the help topic from the web application, no location bar appears.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Where does RH8 store information on the custom window I created?

2. Is the file they're stored in human-readable? I'd like to check that what I'm doing in the RH8 UI is properly getting written to the files I'm sending to the developer.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick

What you define using the WebHelp Window definiton just gets pushed out to a JavaScript file. The WebHelp API simply contains a function that causes a new window to present using the attributes you specify in RoboHelp.

You need to ensure your developer is properly coding the call.

Question for you here. Did you define a specific size and location as well? When you test the call, does the window open at the specified size and location? If not, you are seeing a definite issue with the call being made.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I set a specific height/width, and that is getting picked up properly and has been since day 1. We've just recently added the requirement for having the location bar.

So, from your info, I suspect somewhere a .js is getting written by RH8 that has a window.open with an attribute of location=yes. And it's this .js that's getting referenced by the CSH API Robohelp_csh.js, yes?

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Methinks it's time for a clarification then. You initially posted:

We want the location bar to appear in the help window so users can navigate forward and backwards among the topics.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Location bar simply displays the URL. Based on what you initially asked and what has transpired, I'm inclined to think you may be meaning something else. Perhaps the surrounding frameset so that you see the Navigation Mini-toolbar with the Previous and Next arrows that traverse a Browse Sequence?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Definitely don't want the browse sequence stuff. Just the browser window fwd/back buttons.

As far as I can tell from looking at the HTML DOM, there's no separate controls for adding just the fwd/back buttons. So I added the Location and the top of the CSH window appears as in the attached image.

Capture1.gif

So maybe I just got lucky and the fwd/back buttons came along w/ the Location bar?

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

My original intent was to determine that RH8 was indeed recording my choice of using the Location check box and properly writing that choice to a file somewhere. Then I would know the issue is in the developer's hands.

Since I get the desired reaction on my local system, I conclude that yes, that's what's happening. Even if I can't point to a specific file and say "this is where the choice is recorded".

I've searched all the files thus far and have found no window.open statement with a location=yes parameter. The quest for knowledge continues.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp