• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone know how to save / preserve image maps when updating graphics?

Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a RH7 HTML project, which I've designed to be used in support of a software application.

Some of the application's dialogue boxes have quite complex multi-tabbed GUIs, so when it comes to describing their functionality, you often end up with a long list below the graphic image. What this means of course, is that the user is forever scrolling up and down to make reference between the GUI and the explanatory text.

I hit upon an idea I'd used previously, whereby I created popups to multiple image map hotspots. It works like a dream and the client and users really like the concept - but there's a snag (apparently).

Because the application is still in development. some of those GUIs are (and will continue to) change. No problem with that either - until I try and insert the updated graphic. Poof !! All my hotspots disappear . . .

Surely I'm not alone in trying this approach and there must be some way of preserving the hotspots?

Any suggestions?

Bob (in a UK time zone)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It sounds like you are using the standard methods of inserting an image. Don't do that!

All you need to do in these cases is to use Windows Explorer to save the updated image using the same file name and replacing the former image. When you do this your other data will remain intact. If the new image is a different size, just right-click it inside the RoboHelp HTML editor and choose Reset Size. You also may need to tweak your hotspots if things shifted some.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - your answer does provide me with a workaround, which I had sort of figured out with a little test that I ran myself, subsequent to my posting.

The only downside to the technique is that we're supposed to have strict version control on all updates, which means that simply overwriting the original file destroys that integrity. The trade-off is to re-do hundreds of hotspots each time if I use the "standard" method of bringing in a replacement graphic - which of course, destroys all the image map information

I've come up with a solution - less time consuming, but nonetheless still requires considerable effort, and that's to copy all the existing graphics into an archive, rename them to reflect the (previous) version of the build and then bring in the new graphic by saving it under the original name. Messy and no room for error.

But thanks again for your advice - which as I said, it works . . .

I was rather hoping for a slicker solution . . . It's just a pity that the guys on the Adobe / RH development team don't take that on board and come up with some way of preserving the image map information . . .

Cheers from London!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again Bob

You really should take a moment and submit this as a Bug or a Feature Request (depending on your particular view).

Link is in my sig line.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp