• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse sequences and DHTML text not working in some topics when accessed with Context Sensitive Help

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2006 Apr 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone
I need your help, please. I cannot figure out what the problem is with some of my topics. I have a 500 topic CHM file with Map IDs accessed by our software program. Almost all of the topics have a browse sequence associated with them as well as DHTML text in the same topic. Most of the topics display as they should be (browse sequence is showing and DHTML drop down links open when clicked).

However, some of the topics do not work, and I can’t figure out why. The browse sequence does not display, nor do the DHML drop down text links work (they do not open when clicked). I can’t figure out what might be in the topics or the CHM file that is messing up the help.

Furthermore, once a topic like this shows up, it appears to corrupt the rest of the help. What happens is none of the DHTML links in any other topic once this “bad” topic is opened. I have to close the application and restart it to get my DHTML and browse sequences to work again. Yikes!

Has anyone seen this behavior before and have a resolution? I have tried reformatting the offending topic and have taken out all the DHTML links. This has not worked.

Your help is much appreciated. I don’t know how to move forward with this problem. Thanks so much!

Best regards - Leora

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leora,

From your description, I would suspect that there is something interfering with RoboHelp code. DHTML and Browse sequences are custom RoboHelp features, that depend on javascript functions supplied with RoboHelp's eHelpDHTM.js and hhactiveX.dll files.

Were any (or all) of these offending topics originally created outside of RoboHelp? Look in the True Code for any SCRIPT, ONLOAD, and LINK tags. Compare what you find to what you find in a good topic.

Good luck,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John for the quick reply. All of the topics are created inside Robohelps HTML editor.

I will check the Truecode sections you mentioned and compare them for differences.

Best - Leora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not working the project on a network, are you? If so, stop doing that!

BTW, a shared drive is a network drive in disguise.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon said:

You're not working the project on a network, are you? If so, stop doing that!

BTW, a shared drive is a network drive in disguise.

Nope - I learned not to do that a few weeks ago. This is all based off of a local project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: johnmccallum
Leora,

Were any (or all) of these offending topics originally created outside of RoboHelp? Look in the True Code for any SCRIPT, ONLOAD, and LINK tags. Compare what you find to what you find in a good topic.

Good luck,

John

I could not find anything significantly different in the True code. Here are the items of note:

Topics without DHTML do not have the kadov javascript section

I have no onload section

One of the topics that is working correctly has the following meta tag: <meta NAME=MS-HAID CONTENT=text>, a topic that is not working does not. What does this tag mean and is it necessary?

In Robohelp Truecode the link to my css has a backslash (href="..\name.css"), the javascript has a forward slash (src="../ehlpdhtm.js"). In the compiled help both html links use a forward slash

Finally, there is no ehlpdhtm.js in my baggage files. I have added it in. Is this necessary?

One more interesting aside. This same help system was created for a previous release. All of these topics worked as expected there. I'm not sure what may have happened to introduce this problem (besides copying my file to a network ,realizing it wasn't working, then copying it back to my local machine).

Thanks - Leora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leora,

You don't need to include the .js file in baggage. RH adds it to your project automatically.

I'm baffled, though I strongly suspect that it has something to do with your javascript functions. Leon's inquiry about the network was due to the common problem of the project files becoming corrupted over networks and it certainly seems like something got horked here. You might try opening your project from the .hhp file. Move or rename your project file just to back it up and then open the project from the .hhp file, recompile, and see if that clears things up.

If you'd like, I could take a look at a working and non-working topic. You can email me by clicking on my name.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi John
Thank for the great offer. I'm going to try a compiled version with the .js file added in manually - just in case. I've already tried recovering from my HHP file but that didn't help. I was really hoping that someone from Macromedia/Adobe would see my post and come to my rescue

If this still doesn't work, I will take you up on your offer to glance at some of my topics. I really appreciate it! Wish me kuck

Best - leora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp