• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would like to use syntax highlighting in body text for code snippets

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling this isn't actually possible without a whole lot of manual work, but I want to preserve syntax highlighting in code examples in my online help. Like this:

syntax_highlight.png

All I can do is black text. |:^(

I am using Robohelp 7, generating to WebHelp.

Thanks for any help anyone can pass on!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cmac24 and welcome to the RH community.

I managed to achieve this using RHX5 and producing a CHM file. I haven't tried it in a later version or using WebHelp but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Peter Grainge's site has documented how I achieved this. Go to his "Snippets" section and look at number 87.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not sure I was clear in my question though. I don't want to be able to run the code from the doc, I just want a way to paste multi-coloured text into Robohelp and not have it display as multi-coloured, not black. The first step in your process, "format the text (code snippet ) as required" is precisely what I want to avoid doing.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that can be done as each application has its own colour coding format rules. For example if you copy the HTML from a RH topic complete with its colour coding into Notepad, you loose the colour coding. If you make a change to the HTML in Notepad and then copy and paste it back into RH, any additional tags are coloured appropriately.

The RH WYSIWYG is just applying its colouring rules as it sees fit and nothing you can do will stop it doing so. If the snippet isn't what you want, could you embed the code sample in an file produced by the coding application and add this to your topic. Just a thought!

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm not sure if it's a feasible solution for you, but what about displaying the code (complete with color coding - oops, that's colour coding for you English chaps) in whatever application you use. Then grab a screen capture of the relevant area and insert as an image in RoboHelp.

My thought here is that you could maintain the code in the other app in case you need to change it at some point. Then if it does change, just snag another image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English? ENGLISH? Pah!

And don't say "British" either - to me at least. LOL!

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Almost a year has passed, but I stubled upon this and you might still like this answer...

There is a syntax highlighter javascript you can use in WebHelp: http://alexgorbatchev.com/SyntaxHighlighter/ It's javascript and css based and easy to implement. See the installation instructions on the before mentioned site. (Use the <pre> tags, the <script> tags won't work with RH.) You can simply highlight XML, JS, PHP, Perl and other languages.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp