• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF fails to generate correctly -- "malformed topic" error

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a screen shot of the output view log together with the topic files indicated as "malformed" therein.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/723109485/295a6159c17d8386b3308c9404681b90

Just what is meant by this word "malformed." There is nothing apparent to distinguish these topics/files from the others, and Web Help output is unaffected.

Or is this just another RH bug?

I have 15 projects for which PDFs urgently need to be generated.

Thanks.

Steven

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

First, I am not a developer, only an online help writer since 1990.

Secondly, how are third-party software, network issues, insufficient resources, overly aggressive anti-virus software, etc. under the purview of RoboHelp?

Looking at the files you provided, I suspect that the Previous/Title/Next tables at the very top of these topics, particularly if they were converted from Framemaker, might be at the root of your problem.

Try this:

1. Assign the Print conditional tag to that entire table, then add a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. the RHStyleMapping.css did the trick.

Your link shows quite an impressive list of known, unremedied bugs for this one crucial RH feature.

Is there a like list for every feature in this malformedWare?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2009 Aug 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your software is perfect? Also sometimes the problem is what the author has done, so it's not entirely a one sided problem.

The RHStyleMapping.css is not really meant for this purpose but if it works and gives an output that is acceptable, there is no reason why not. Using the Word Style Mapping template is what was suggested.

Look around the site to find out what else is covered.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is funny or would be if it did not betray an astonishing contempt for user and usability.

Yes "our" software has bugs. It is also given away, not sold, nor are we sanguine about our bugs, particularly in mission critical features, like print output in RoboHelp.

Nor are we Adobe, with 8 years of versioning. I recommended RH for our online documentation in large part precisely because of the "auto" pdf generation, only now to find there is nothing "auto" about it, instead it drowning in a stagnant pool of known bugs.

We are searching for an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry but I think you have taken more offence to the comment than was intended. You referred to RoboHelp as "this malformedWare" and I was simply pointing out that all software has bugs. I was also making the point that not all the causes are within Adobe's control.

I would also point out that Adobe have not owned the RoboHelp product for eight years.

I don't engage in comparisons with other tools, just make sure that you thoroughly test and that you are not jumping out of the frying pan...

Most printed documentation is created without issue. What you have seen is an accumulation of information gleaned over many years. Some of the items will not give problems in later versions. Most software will look poor if you document all the possible causes of problems, for most users they will not be an issue.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though it may have been there, I do not recall this problem before Adobe took it over from MacroMedia.

Also, I created these projects with an Adobe FrameMaker to Adobe RH workflow, itself a feature rife with CSS bugs. Working with developers as long as I have, it is laughable and pathetic to hear them blame the users and duck under "beyond our control" excuses. No fail-proof model is expressed in the so-called Help either.

There is no excuse for marketing "malformedWare" where critical features fail. None. Zero. Zip.

Emotional, you bet. The practice is shameless and disgusting, no less for being common. One expects more from Adobe.

If you can, please escalate to Adobe management.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malformed topics are generally caused by the user or by a third-party conversion (the software, network issues, insufficient resources, overly aggressive anti-virus software, etc.).

Putting the onus squarely on RH is a "malformed" conclusion.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typical developer attitude. the source of all malformedWare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

It's fine to have opinions. But please try to keep things on a civil level. This thread is growing perilously close to being locked by a forum moderator and put on report.

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am not a developer, only an online help writer since 1990.

Secondly, how are third-party software, network issues, insufficient resources, overly aggressive anti-virus software, etc. under the purview of RoboHelp?

Looking at the files you provided, I suspect that the Previous/Title/Next tables at the very top of these topics, particularly if they were converted from Framemaker, might be at the root of your problem.

Try this:

1. Assign the Print conditional tag to that entire table, then add a separate Chapter title (title only) with the Online conditional tag.
  2. Add a "NOT Online" conditional build expression to the Print Documentation layout.
  3. Add a "NOT Print" conditional build expression to the WebHelp layout.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon,

Didn't quite get your steps, but took the general idea and ran with it. No idea why, but yes it seems the Prev/Next nav tables were "upsetting" the PDF creation. So far (3 out of 15 projects), a conditional print build without them obviates the "malformed" error and the need for applying/removing the RH mapping CSS.

Thank you.

Afraid that changes nothing vis-a-vis shoddy development and the marketing of "malformedWare." I believe tech writers should unite in riding developers and their corporate masters just as hard as they can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but I'm way too busy to be "riding developers and their corporate masters." In putting together online help, I usually find myself as the "ridee," not the "rider."

I try to save my energy by accomodating my help practices to the HAT, so that I can more efficiently deal with the demands of my developers, my management, my IT, my release engineering, and my software product. There's not really much time to kvetch about the HAT I'm using (which by the way is darn good).

How's that "alternative" search going, by the way?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp