Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error msg - not enough memory available for this task - chm file

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I am using RoboHelp for HTML 8.0 and creating chm file.  I am using context sensitive help and the F1 key functionality.  I have in the past created some map ID's with F1 and they have worked properly with our company software application.  Now, I have a different database with our company and a larger help file and it is not working.  I am told that the database should work.  I also have lots of memory.  I am working off of my hard drive which is where the .exe is for the company application and my chm file.  I can open my .chm file.  When I go into the application and press F1 where I created the map ID;s I get the message, not enough memory available for this task and also topic not available. Quit one or more programs to increase memory.

I have lots of memory and my file is only 598kb.  I also only have RoboHelp and the application running.  When I did a search, I found an article for a fix from 2004 from Adobe - Rb_46124 - not sure if this is the fix but the steps dont match since it is old.

Please help me.

Thanks

Caryn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn,

Is the problem reproducible if you fire context calls at your Help file with, say, HTML Help Workshop (Test > HtmlHelp API) or FAR (Authoring > HH Utilities > Test HH API)? If not, this is a strong indication that the problem lies not in your Help file but in the coding of the context call.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete

I called Adobe also and they referred me to rb_3223. I have not tried it yet. Is your note the same resolution? Please explain what a context call is??

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn,

Sorry, I just meant that you should try to reproduce the problem by using the test facilities in HTML Help Workshop or FAR (or RoboHelp?) to replicate the call that your application makes to your Help file. Typically, this means passing in a map number to the Help file. See this message for instructions on how to do so with HTML Help Workshop:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2149192#2149192

But the presence of spaces in the file names of your topics, as suggested in the Adobe Knowledge Base article, would certainly cause problems.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete

I verified that all my topic and file names have underscores. Still getting error.

I am sorry but I do not understand the link you provided me. I do not have a HTML workshop to go to in RoboHelp HTML 8.

Please explain.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My All MAP ID's folder and BSSCdefault appear to have the same MAP ID files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, according to Adobe's resolution I need to check my advanced window property or advanced destination window - I cant find these in version 8.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Caryn,

HTML Help Workshop is Microsoft's tool for creating .chm files. You can download it from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985(VS.85).aspx

After you've opened HTML Help Workshop, click HtmlHelp API on the Test menu to specify the file name of the .chm file that you want to test, and the map number that you want to pass to it. If you can successfully open topics in this way then there may be a problem with the way that your application is trying to open the topics.

You can also use the BugHunter tool in RoboHelp to to test context-sensitive Help topics and diagnose problems. See this Help topic for details:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c571-7fe0.html

If you continue to have problems and are willing to let me take a look at your .chm file, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to investigate this further.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried another Microsoft patch for my error but it did not work.

I am trying to learn how to use bug hunter never understood it

TEST HTML box

What do I put in Window?

What do I put in Html file?

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete

I have no trouble zipping you my file..I would really appreciate it.

Do I just email my .chm file?

Let me know where

Thanks for your help

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caryn,

You can get my email address by clicking my user name at the left. Can you zip up and send me the .chm file and map (.h) file, and a few map numbers that you'd like me to test?

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would a flash file format work better even if the user has vista?

Just curious

What are the files needed to test flash file?

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Actually, if you were to use FlashHelp output, you might find that the problems are compounded, as now you have the Flash Player and all its idiosyncrasies in the mix.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Too bad - I love the way the help file displays

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp