Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing RoboHelp4x

Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've inherited a help project created and saved on the web server in RoboHelp4x. No CHM file.  We purchased version 8.0 to upgrade the project.

I've tried to import this file to v.8 several ways - directly from the web server, copied all files to my hard drive and import from there, copied just the .htm files, etc.  Every time it gets to the point of generating the messages "Successfully copied....." it generates an error message sayingit's stopped working "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."   I've gone as far as blowing everything out and re-installing  the program.  I also tried to repair it . 

I'm not illiterate but new to RoboHelp and can usually figure things out by playing with them.  I've now spent several days trying to get this to work - there has to be an easier way to upgrade this project.  HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

MargePet wrote:

I've inherited a help project created and saved on the web server in RoboHelp4x. No CHM file. 

Normally, when you say "Web Server", we understand this to mean output files. Are you saying you only have output files?

MargePet wrote:

We purchased version 8.0 to upgrade the project.

Sounds reasonable.

MargePet wrote:

I've tried to import this file to v.8 several ways - directly from the web server, copied all files to my hard drive and import from there, copied just the .htm files, etc.

You need to discern whether you are dealing with WebHelp output files only, or if you have actual project files. From what I'm seeing so far, it's sounding as if you may have WebHelp output files only. If so, hopefully you can locate the project files. Cleanup of output files for repurposing as source files can be a bit on the involved side.

MargePet wrote:

I'm not illiterate but new to RoboHelp and can usually figure things out by playing with them.  I've now spent several days trying to get this to work - there has to be an easier way to upgrade this project.  HELP!

Normally upgrading a project is a simple process. You install RoboHelp and open the project. It is then upgraded.

As I said earlier, it sounds as though you may be attempting to reverse engineer a generated WebHelp output. If that's the case, try the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're correct - I don't have the actual project. The files are those that have been copied to our web server but they look like the same files that are typically in a project. The problem I'm having is that I can't finish the import process - it closes down RoboHelp and when I go back in to open the project it's empty, although I can see the files if I go to my Windows Explorer. I'm using Vista and IE7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MargePet wrote:

The files are those that have been copied to our web server but they look like the same files that are typically in a project.

Ahhh but looks can be so so seductively deceiving! See, as WebHelp is generated, each of the source HTML files is modified. According to the options selected in the recipe, all manner of different JavaScript functions are added to each file. And if you take an output file and insert it back into a project? Well, let's say the parallel here is like oats going through a horse. The first time through, they are pretty nutritious. But the second pass through may cause the horse to gag.

It sounds like RoboHelp is gagging.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to get this thing up and running by Sept 1. 

What do I do after I finish crying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

Are we to assume there is no source to be found? Do you have any contact information or any clue as to who worked with it last or where the actual project files may be?

Reconstructing the project shouldn't be all that difficult. I'd be happy to work with you if you like to resurrect things. Shoot me a private message if that sounds remotely interesting. It will have to occur some time tomorrow as I'm about to leave for the evening for an engagement.

rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com

Basically I'll fire you back a link where we may connect and I can view your desktop to coach you along. I'll also need your phone number so I might call and speak in real time.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp