Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing project from source control

Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a project that is source controlled in RoboSource 3.1. There are currently three writers on the project and we each have a version of the project on our hard drives from which we are working. We are having a hard time keeping our projects synced between our hard drives and RoboSource. My question is this: If I go into RoboHelp and select remove project from source control, does it only remove the temporary project on my hard drive, will it remove the main project in RoboSource, and/or will it remove everyone else's project from source control.

Thanks.

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

I'm a bit confused as to why you are even using source control if each author has a different version of the same project on their local drive. The purpose of source control with RoboHelp is to ensure that all authors are working with the same project. Suzie's project should look identical to John's and so on.

Assuming Source Control is properly set up and configured, I would think if you deleted a project from the Source Control repository it would very likely affect the other users.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

What happens is that sometimes someone will go in and change the name of a topic that has already been created and when that happens, RoboSource doesn't seem to play nice. The other authors who might want to edit that topic cannot because RoboSource cannot find the old topic name. Also, there have been times when a folder has been deleted in RoboSource but shows up in RoboHelp anyway because the folder that was deleted is still on our hard drive. I know one solution is delete the .cpd file and rebuild RoboHelp, but at this stage of the development, with everything set up the way it should, I am unwilling to do that. Since we are newbies to RoboSource and did not have any time to look at it or play with it before we were told to use it, we might not be doing the things the right way. That being said, we feel development would go faster if we took it out of RoboSource.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and hope I haven't been too confusing.

Thanks.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've also recently moved to using RSC (as part of converting X5 to RH8), so expert advice this is not.

However, it seems that renaming should be done in RSC, and not in RH. In addition, the RSC Edit > Delete / Hide option might be the answer for folders.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I can understand your frustration with errors in RSC/RH integration. Strange things do seem to happen.
In answer to your original question, I do not believe that removing the project from source control on a single author's machine takes the project "Out" of source control for other authors.

The database of files on the RSC server will remain the same and the rpoject will be maintained locally. This can be a good way to clean up a project and then add it back to a new RSC database later.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I wrote this article a couple of years (and versions) ago. Not sure if it will still apply but it may. Perhaps take a look at the link below:

Click here to read

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, your article still applies to RH6/RSC3 projects. FYI, I also remove the pss file and the mssccprj.scc (if present).

I haven't checked the procedure for RH7/RH8 projects, but I'll bet it's the same.

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I followed Rick's instructions using RoboHelp 8. It works. But I did not have to delete the pblsvrs.sss file, which in RoboHelp 8 lists the names of the servers to publish (HTML files) to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, One more comment.

You can disconnect a project from source control instead. This makes the local set of files on your PC a local only project, but leaves the stuff on the RSC for other authors to connect to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eli

How do you disconnect a project from RSC?

My system Attributes:

RoboHelp HTML V8.02

RoboSource Control 3.1

RoboHelp Server V8.0

WebHelp Pro 5.50 (7.00.145)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon, you might want to be careful with renaming items in source control. If you make a change in source control, RH may not know about it. We generally make changes in RH, letting RH communicate the relevant changes to RSC. I don't usually make changes directly in RSC unless there's a problem.

I might mention that such problems tend to occur when there is a RH crash during certain kinds of operations. For example, say that the help author renaming a folder when his or her pc crashes. This kind of interruption can leave RH with one set of information and RSC with another. Then you can get stuck with having to manually rename and delete things to get them sync'd up again.

I'll agree with you on deleting/hiding folders in RSC. Sometimes there gets to be quite a bit of visual clutter, but you probably don't want to totalll obliterate the old items.

My 2¢.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We rebuild our CPD files quite often, for precisely the kinds of synchronization issues you describe. The only problem we run into when we do so is that it can take a long time to rebuild for the really huge projects. For most people, this shouldn't be a problem.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

So, I tried it out on one of my test systems.

Removing the project from source control will change that user's view of the project.

However, the user can re-connect to the project again (by opening it from source control) which will copy all the files back down as if it was new again.

However, if the issue you are having is that your authors are seeing different versions of the files, you should check on the status of the files for each user.

I reccomend you have each user save and check in all files.

This should put all changes back up. Then, when you open the project, have each user download the latest from the server. If there are any inconsistencies, you will get warnings about them.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp