Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Mirror" a path in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm wondering if it is possible to "mirror" a path in Illstrator (don't know the right term for it).

I've been working some in 3DS Max and in that application there is a feature that is very useful when creating symmetric models. I think it is called the "Symmetry Modifier". Let's say I want to create a head that is totally symmetric. In 3DS Max I would model one half of the face (i.e. the left) and use this feature to automatically do the other half (the right). The neat thing is that if I do changes to my original half, the other half automatically updates.

Is there something similiar in Illustrator? Or is there another good way of achieving symmetrical path easily?

I'm using Illustrator CS4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Select the object, then menu  Effect/Distort and Transform/Transform.

Use 1 copy and reflect as you want

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the object, then menu  Effect/Distort and Transform/Transform.

Use 1 copy and reflect as you want

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow that works tons better than Object > Transform > Reflect. Your way reflects on any given side whereas the object/transform/reflect stays in place -- which was so annoying!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you just change the original to change both/all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a cool tutorial which will allow you to make a reflecting layer. Everything you draw on the layer is reflected, check it out.

http://blog.choppingblock.com/2009/03/illustrator-cs3-cs4-reflection-templates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Reflect tool (O) and Copy. It's hidden under the Rotate tool.

You can also use the Scale dialogue box and enter a negative value (-100%). Then say Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute, nothing is ever "Hidden" in an Adobe product. It's just "Tucked Away" under the rotate tool. Adobe would never hide anything from there users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrepressPro1 wrote:

Adobe would never hide anything from there users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!!!

A follow up question: Can I "apply" this effect? That is make the path including both the original and the copy into one ordinary editable path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haagel,

1) Object>Expand Appearance,

2) Ungroup (as many times as needed),

3) Direct Select coinciding Anchor Points and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob!

I got it to work. However, I'm having really problems with the ungrouping and joining part. I have to try alot of ways before I get it to work, otherwise I get an error message saying:

"To join, you must select two open endpoints. If they are not on the same path, they cannot be on text paths nor inside graphs, and if both of them are grouped, they must be in the same group."

Though, I'm guessing I just haven't grasped all of this grouping...

It seems that I have to ungroup AND remove the fill (which will be there even if I didn't have any before the "mirror operation".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, haagel.

It seems that I have to ungroup AND remove the fill (which will be there even if I didn't have any before the "mirror operation".

The former should not be necessary, and the latter should not happen.

You may have something wrong in your preferences, so it may be worth trying to Move the folder. This method is thorough, and reversible in case it does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines