Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming a Project

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm baaccckkkk......

'Nother question (and I always seem to have the Really Weird Issues).

The client uses RH to create training tools for new hires. I've created a shell project, already set up with the templates, style sheets, common topics, basic TOC, index, graphics, etc. The idea is the developer copies the shell project, renames the directory of the copy to the new "tool" name, opens the project, and immediately selects File > Rename Project and gives it the name of the new tool.

EVERY time RH loses files. They're still in the directory when  you look in Windows Explorer, but RH doesn't see them, they have to be imported (and all the broken links vanish!). It's always the same files, too. I've experimented several times, it always happens, always the same files. I'm creating a job aid for the client to use in developing the new "tools" and when I renamed it, nothing was lost.

Any clues as to what's causing this? I've got it documented in the job aid as an annoying "gotcha" but if I can figure out how to keep it from happening we'll all be a lot happier.

Thanks!

Jo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo

Anything special about the names of the files that get missed? Odd characters or anything like that?

Perhaps you are seeing a bug we haven't encountered yet.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Rick...no special characters they all have a file_name.htm configuration.

That would be my luck, wouldn't it, finding the one undocumented bug that is so rare hardly anyone ever encounters it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried renaming the CPD and/or peeping inside it with Microsoft Access to see what's going on?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it's not the victim of an evil cpd file, Derek. I copied the master, renamed the cpd file, opened it, renamed it, same issue. When I get a few extra minutes I'll try looking at it in Access and see if I can find anything obvious - and it would have to whack me one, don't think I've ever actually used Access, been ages since I even opened the program!

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo

Yes, I was very skeptical of the suggestion about the .CPD. Had it been related, it would be sufficient to kill it and let RoboHelp rebuild it. No need to go spelunking.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jo, can you possibly give us a scenario to test? Perhaps something listing your topic names, folder names, topics missed, etc?

Maybe even make a copy of your project, strip away any real content from topics and attach here as a zip so we might download and test?

Just thinking out loud... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, don't know what the problem was, but I've nixed it. Got permission to strip content and submit the project. So, copied the project, renamed it, and it lost the same files it always does. Not the folders, just the contents. As a sidenote, these particular topics are common to all the projects, and have been copied back and forth umpteen times. The lightbulb (a politically incorrect one, can't STAND those ghastly CFL ones!) came on; just on a hunch, I deleted the topic, said "no" to keep my links (which immediately created all sorts of broken links, of course), then recreated the topic (thereby fixing the broken links, the whole point of saying no...) and pasted the content back into the topic. Did a trial run of copying, opening, and renaming, ant the recreated topics remained in the project. So, there must have been something in the coding of the topics that was....um...messed up.

One more challenge conquered!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp