Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arial Vs Arial MT

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is there a difference between Arial and Arial MT fonts? I have Arial TTF in my windows fonts directory. I searched and there are few bits and pieces that allude to both of them being "essentially the same" but nothing conclusive. I also thought Arial was a Base 14 font and so will not get embedded in a pdf document. But, I have a pdf from a third party source where Arial MT is embedded.

Anyway, my problem is that I use a third party report generation tool (Report Mill) to create a pdf. The font that I am using is Arial but on the fonts panel in the generated pdf, it is listed as Arial MT, not embedded and gets displayed as Helvetica. Helvetica is better in my opinion, but that is not what is wanted by others.

I am also trying to talk to the third party vendor, but any input of Arial Vs Arial MT and why I Arial font is embedded in pdf when it is a Base font would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post in the Typography forum. This forum is reserved for comments about the forum itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uninstall Arial MT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather have good ol' Arial anyday!

I used AMP Font Viewer to remove it but I imagine you could just delete it from the fonts dir.  Font Viewer is a nice free app though.

http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines