21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 8:32 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Installation problems- Photoshop CS4 Extended, Win XP

readysteady101

Hello, Im trying to install the trial version of Photoshop cs4 Extended, but keep getting an error message when setup starts. The message is "Setup has encountered an error, and cannot continue, please contact Adobe support". Nothing else, just that. Im running XP SP3, system is well up to requirements. Any help appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
          dec9 Community Member

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404127.html

Give this a shot

Try putting the folder on the desk top and run the .exe from there too. Run as Administrator. Anti virus off. 3rd party fire walls off too.

• 2. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
            readysteady101 Community Member

Hello Dec9, and thanks for the reply. I had alread tried all that to no avail. Also, made an ISO image and tried it that way. Tried using Adobe cs3cleanscript and its cs4 brother. Nothing. This is very annoying. Thanks again and would love to hear any other ideas.

• 3. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
              dec9 Community Member

Cleanscritp won't work on the registry for the trial versions. The DRM locks people out from trying to get another free download when the trial ends. The only option is to nuke the system and reload in order to get another tral. So if your install went past the DRM point and quit I see no other options.

• 4. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

Can you explain a bit more about "DRM" stage. When I tried to install, it doesnt finish the "Checking system profile" stage, the very first window that opens, and about 5 seconds into it. Are you suggesting I re-install windows in order to install PS. Thats a seriously extreme solution, thats why I ask to explain "DRM", and if  "checking system profile" at the very beginning of the install counts, as, I never actually installed the trial version, it never got that far. Thanks again for your reply, and if I dont reply immediately, thats just cos its late here. Readysteady

• 5. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                  dec9 Community Member

Digital Rights Management. It is protection built in the software to protect from theft. I don't know how their system works but it ends up somewhere hidden in the registry and who knows where else. The cleaners have no effect on trial. Just on the paid for product.

• 6. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

DRM, knew it sounded familiar But here's the thing, that couldnt have stopped the original installation attempt (first) as there was no previous install there to be registered anywhere on my machine before I tried the trial version. Does this make sense, kinda like the chicken and egg scenario, but I think you'll get what I mean. So, maybe this is not whats causing the problem. But if not that, then what. Thanks again Dec9, help is very much appreciated, Readysteady:)

• 7. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                      dfilias

I have the exact same issue. Dell Studio XPS bought around April. Downloaded trial. Can't even get past checking system profile. I get "Setup Error" about five seconds into it. Everything is off: firewall, anti-virus, etc. I even turned off User Account Control. I tried running as administrator. I even tried running 32-bit jscript and vbscript in this fashion:

(source:  http://vidmar.net/weblog/archive/2007/06/29/how-to-install-adobe-photoshop-cs3-on-windows- vista.aspx)

Before installing in Vista Ultimate X64
                      Click Start in bottom left
                      Search for cmd
                      Right click and run as administrator
                      type or copy and paste
                      cd C:\Windows\SysWow64
                      then copy and paste
                      regsvr32 jscript.dll
                      then copy and paste
                      regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Nothing works.

I have no issue installing the same exact file on Windows XP. When installing on my Vista 64 PC, I can't even get past five seconds into "checking system profile".

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them if it doesn't involve reinstalling Vista (because that clearly isn't the issue).

• 8. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

Well Dfilias, at least Im not all alone on this. But, Adobe wouldnt make a product that requires an OS re-install to install their product after trying the "trial" product, would they. Only I didnt even get to try it. When they say "Trial", they mean it, but seriously, there must be a fix for this. BTW Dfilias, your symptoms do sound exactly the same as mine, the only difference is Im on XP. Can someone out there sort us out

• 9. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                          dec9 Community Member

There is a newer version of Windows installer that may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f 9f4&displaylang=en

After install I would reboot just to be safe. Then after reboot open services.exe and look for windows installer towards the bottom of the list. It should be set to manual. Right click on manual (under start type) and choose properties. Change manual to auto click apply. Then start the service and hit ok then close the window.

Try to re-install.

Sorry, I am running out of ideas. Also you can change windows installer back to manual when your done.

• 10. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

Hello again Dec9, and apologies for not replying sooner, but was away from my pc for a while. Well your last reply has helped me make some progess. I can at last get past the initial  "checking profile" stage and into the setup procedure, but nothing is coming easy with this. I get to the stage to select custom or typical install (I forget the actual wording, its not typical, but something similar) and when I choose the typical install it tells me to insert the disk into my disk drive (which it already is). Ive been round in circles with this several times, Ive tried it with a physical disk in the optical drive, and also tried using Daemon tools. But no luck. Big thanks for getting me past the initial problem, Really appreciate that, any ideas how to get to "the next level

• 11. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                              dec9 Community Member

Well that is progress!!

What I would do is not the typical install. If you choose custom you can select not to install some other adobe items. For example AIR and I think I remember right Adobe reader. There might also be a player listed too. You can always down load this other software later from the website if you wish. Not installing this extra software will not hurt CS4 extended or bridge operation wise.

I did the custom install and everything went fine. Also install only on C drive. (CS4 plays better on C drive)

If you need a pdf reader Foxit makes a good free one and it won't hinder the CS4 install process either. 

• 12. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

No, it just doesnt want to get past this next stage. I know its not my optical drive, as the same problem persists in Daemon tools, and I dont have any issues except for this. Any other ideas. Thanks again, Readysteady

• 13. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                                  dec9 Community Member

Go to start and type in msconfig and click on it. Click on the startup tab and select disable all. Click apply then ok. You will have to reboot.

Later on you can go back and turn back on items you need to start when the OS starts.

Then try again.

• 14. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

Hello again Dec9, and happy to say I have now installed it. What I did was create a new folder on my desktop and copy the setup files into it, then ran setup from there. My thinking was, if it asks to insert the disk in optical drive then I can do that as a new action and maybe get past that part, but no need, it all went smooth from the desktop. I clicked "correct answer" on another of your replies as your suggestion to install the newer MS installer did actually solve my original problem, but stupidly I clicked "helpful answer" on that and so lost the option to correct my mistake, but most definitely wanted to give you the proper Kudos for helping me with this. So, once again, Thanks, you've been great, Readysteady:)

• 15. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended

Installing the Microsoft Installer did answer my original question, so big thanks to Dec9

• 16. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                                        dec9 Community Member

Your welcome. Glad it works.

• 17. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                                          dfilias Community Member

Thanks for all the replies. I figured out the problem. I'm sure this probably only happens to 0.001% of users, but there should be something in the installer/system profile check to tell you the details of the error instead of installation just stopping.

My problem? I had C:\Users\myusername\Documents (My Documents equivalent in WinXP) mapped to a NAS raid drive. I had that drive turned off by accident, and the Adobe Installer was choking when it was looking for that directory. It wasn't choking because the drive location wasn't default, but because it thought diskspace=0 since that drive was off. It would have been nice for the installer to mention the exact reason why it was choking. It took a step-by-step approach going through the install log line-by-line to find out what was wrong. Of course, it was at the end of the log when I noticed it.

Everything installed fine after I turned the drive on.

• 18. Re:HELLO,BUT HOW WILL I INSTALL THE ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS4 EXTENDED?
                                            ej sison

hello, but how will i install the adobe photoshop cs4 extended?

• 19. Re:HELLO,BUT HOW WILL I INSTALL THE ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS4 EXTENDED?
                                              the_wine_snob Community Member
                                              how will i install the adobe photoshop cs4 extended?

Welcome to the forum.

What problem are you having with the installation? The more detail that you can give, the easier it will be for someone to tell you what you need to do. If you are getting error messages, make sure to furnish the complete details of those error messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                                                bittershank Community Member

after i installion of the photoshop cs4 extended, i've  try to run the system but a dialog box came out and said, "the licencing of this product expired",

but ialeady put the licence key, an it accept it, but when i try to run it, it always the same  "the licencing of this product expired" keeps comming out

• 21. Re: Installation problems- Photoshop cs4 Extended
                                                  Noel Carboni Community Member

Any chance the serial number you're trying to use is from a beta version?  They expire.

-Noel