Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 - no sequence preview preset file

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error message as follows:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type." Attached image included. I can import the project that is generating the error into a new project and then edit and rendering final edits as desired. When I save the new project file and try to re-open it, I get the same error all over again.

My question is, how do I isolate the sequence and / or the property of the sequence in question?Premiere_Error.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the relevant details here?  Media type, project/sequence settings?  Premiere Version?  Etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Sequence/Settings. Not really difficult, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software version is CS4

Final render is for PC Playback; 640 x 480, Square Pixel, .WMV, progressive scan

Source files are of a whole host of conventional and non-conventional resolutions of video and still images.

I am at least three layers deep with nested sequences with a total of 7 sequences

I am using motion animation

The project file was saving and opening OK until I added one of my later sequences that is using a fake pan of an oversized still (1280 x 1920) with an animated still image layer over that. I am still getting use to CS4 jumping up from an a version of Premiere 6.5, so I am not sure what my sequence settings are for each one. I am doing the “learn as you produce” thing at the moment.

I am currently trying to remove one sequence at a time to see if I can get rid of the corrupted one. Once I isolate the offending sequence, I am going to try to narrow down what property it is that is throwing Premiere the curve. Are you familiar with any kind of sequence analysis utility that would do this automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source files are of a whole host of conventional and non-conventional resolutions of video and still images.

That could well be the source of your problem. No, AFAIK there is no automatic sequence analysis tool. Do all the individual sequences play correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble is in my custom sequence settings. After I import a sequence that didn’t work in the old project into a new project, I can copy / paste the clips from that sequence into a new sequence that uses an existing Sequence Presets (e.g. DV – NTSC, Standard 48 kHz). After I save that, it will open fine. It appears that I had created all the latest versions of my sequences with my custom setting, as none of them would reopen when isolated. I have included my custom settings below. Do you see anything in question with them?

These are my custom settings:

General

Editing mode: Desktop

Timebase: 30.00fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 640h 480v (1.0000)

Frame rate: 30.00 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan) (also tried Lower Field First)

Audio Settings

Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence

Total video tracks: 3

Master track type: Stereo

Mono tracks: 0

Stereo tracks: 3

5.1 tracks: 0

Submix mono tracks: 0

Submix stereo tracks: 0

Submix 5.1 tracks: 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing out of the ordinary with these settings. I was afraid with the wide variety of sources, that maybe you were working with sequences with resolutions like 1372 x 419 at 45 fps or other esoteric charateristics, but this all looks quite normal. What codecs are in use in your source material?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help in trying to figure this out. At least I do have a path forward even though I am not sure why Premiere doesn't like these settings.

The movie files are varied, but here is one of the more odd ones. I am using .PNG and .JPG for te still images.

Regards,

Kevin

Type: AVI Movie
File Size: 5.7 MB
Image Size: 368 x 208
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 25.00
Total Duration: 00:01:13:28
Average Data Rate: 79 KB / second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

AVI File details:
Contains 1 video track(s) and 0 audio track(s).

Video track 1:
Size is 5.68M bytes (average frame = 3.15K bytes)
There are 155 keyframes, 1694 delta frames.
Frame rate is 25.00 fps
Frame size is 368 x 208
Depth is 24 bits.
Compressor: 'MP42', Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't too far wrong after all.

These are really weird formats with 368 x 208 dimension and encoded with MP4.

To identify where your problem is, remove these AVI clips temporarily. Do you still have the problem? If not, then the solution is to convert these clips to something editable and preferably to a size that is easy to edit, like MS DV-AVI type2. That will give you non-square pixels, but using Interpret footage that is easily solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the resolution or codec are not the issues as I was using that clips without issue on my first iterations. It was only when I changed the Sequence Settings that Premiere started having the trouble. I can reproduce the error message with using the custom settings that I posted before and just a 640 x 480 .jpg image as a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a "test," try converting this Asset to match your new Sequence Preset, Import it and replace the original. How does it perform now?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your input. It ended up being the "Video Previews" codec setting for the Custom Sequence Presets. It was defaulting to “I-Frame Only MPEG”. When I set it to Microsoft AVI, it would re-open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news and glad that you got it sorted. Thanks for posting your settings changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Just trying to pay it forward!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Changing the default preview type to Microsoft AVI worked. Now, wil ever Adobe put out a patch for this bug? It's really a pain in the ass until you discover the fix...

Thank you all.

g.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Quicktime installed?

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The was a brilliant find!  How did you come to that conclusion?  I edited the xml project file and removed the line w/ the I-Frame setting and it worked.  I've spent a week trying to fix this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad the post helped.

As far as narrowing it down. I had enumerated projects files that worked up to a point and then I started getting the error message. I had to retrace the changes that I had thought I had made between the last saved version that did not have the error, and the one that did. That is when I realized that I had saved a custom preset. When I looked at the "preview codec" between the standard offerings and the custom setting I created, it stood out as the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for finding how to overcome this problem.  Just in case anyone else finds this thread and needs step by step instructions, here's what to do:

1. Open the Premiere project file (.prproj) in a text or xml editor.   I used Dreamweaver.  In Windows you can right click the project file and choose open with...  Just make sure you don't check the box to tell Windows to always open this type of file with Dreamweaver; you still want Premiere to remain the program that normallly works with .prproj files.
  2. Do a find and replace, replacing every occurrence of 'I-Frame Only MPEG' with 'Microsoft AVI'
  3. Save the file.

The prproj file shold open properly after that.

If you made a preset type of sequence that uses I-Frame Only MPEG you'll have to delete it and make another one that uses Microsoft AVI so that you don't get this problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the excellent solution. Worked like a charm for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same error message in Premiere CS5 (trial), and for the same reason. The fix doesn't work for me though. No sign of the preview codec mentioned in the XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the above solution as well, but using the Priemiere Pro CS5 trial like brandstedt, the edit didn't do me any good.

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you just need the full version so you can install the codecs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem in a full install of CS5. I am on a Mac, using all MOV footage encoded with CineForm NeoScene (and yes, I have the most recent versions of the codecs installed for everything). I have one sequence that is dynamic linked from After Effects, and it has given me no trouble so far, I have closed, opened, edited and exported it without trouble. Until today.

Now I am getting the dreaded "This project contained a sequece that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type" error. Never mind how unnerving it is that the error uses the past-tense, making it sound like all hope is lost.

My problem is that once I "OK" that error, I get returned to the "Welcome" pane offering me new or ercent projects to open (I should probably disable that). But the project I am trying to open never comes up. It won't open at all, so I can't check the sequence settings to see what's going on. As I mentioned, it all opened and worked fine two days ago, and as far as I know nothing has changed in my system since then.

This is a big problem, since I need to make edits to this project, and I am hoping not to have to start it again from the ground up.

Some of the advice in the thread seems to indicate that other folks, after receiving this error, COULD open their project and check different settings. Does my lack of ability to do so indicate a bigger problem? Could it have something to do with Dynamic Link (it doesn't matter if I have that lnked file open in AE, I still can't open the Premiere project). I have restarted and tried opening it fresh, no luck.

Can anyone give me some quick guidance with this? Thank you!

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TheGrandNabib -- did you ever figure out the problem?  I am running into the same issue.  Everything was opening normally then suddenly I started getting the same error message.  I have the full version of cs5.5 and have updated everything to include all the codecs.  Have tried a number of things.  Nothing seems to be working.

Let me know if you figured anything out.

Thanks!

_Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines