• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with recording audio

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work I'm trying to record some narrations for instructional videos. I'm using Captivate through bootcamp on a MacBook Pro. I've tried plugging in several mics (non-powered lav mic, powered lav mic, powered condensor shotgun mic, phantom powered shotgun mic) and the audio just doesn't sound very clean in my headphones (it's ok through the builtin speakers). Basically the voice sounds ok, but there is a lot of ambient noise.

I found out that the Macbook Pro only has a Line-in instead of a Mic-in. I tried connecting my mixer for video to convert the signal, but it still sounds crappy and adds in distortion to the problem.

To make the situation harder, I'm going to be out of the office for a month, so the system I setup has to be easy to use for non-technical employees. If I was around, I would have recorded the audio with my video camera and could use something like Soundsoap if there was any issue.

We've got some decent audio equipment, but I'm not an audio guy so I'm really struggling with this. Anybody have some advice?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't know anything about Macs.  But we were told by our Adobe supplier to get a USB headset/microphone as they have the better quality in audio.

Cheers

Anita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB Headset/Microphones do work better, much better.  However, when trying to use mine with Adobe Cp4, it wasn't "reading it."  In troubleshooting, this is what I found in the help menu,

Note: Adobe Captivate must be able to detect a recording device before trying to calibrate. Check that a microphone or recording device using “line in” is connected to your computer properly and is turned on before calibrating.

Looks like we are stuck with the 1/8" jack.

If you can get your USB to work, please post.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sometimes after you connect USB you have to click Audio > Settings... and specifically select the device.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r,

Thank you very much.  I had checked this out, several times.  What happened each time, was that Cp 4 shut down, unable to recognize my USB device.

However, doing a manual install of the latest patch (see John's link above), the problem is fixed.  I've already performed a test run.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my problem, offering help!

K. Reyoch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We have been successful in recording using a USB headset/microphone.

We have a Plantronics one. Model: Audio 630M, Model Number: 80299-01

Thanks

Anita

Anita Paling

:: Manager - Documentation & Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the issue is cleared up following Rick's suggestion and screenshot. However, you might also check to make sure the latest patch is installed.

The issues covered in the patch are listed here and include USB Mic issues:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/05/captvate_4_patch_update.html

I don't know what effect the Bootcamp/Mac deal would have on the drivers? I know the patch fixed a USB mic problem I had on Vista.

Thanks

John Daigle

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thank you for the link.  The manual install worked perfect.  I'd been trying to install this patch for several days now through the Adobe Update checker from w/in Cp 4 & CS3.  No luck.

I downloaded and installed the patch.  My problem is fixed.  I've run a succesul test and voila!

Thanks!,

K. Reyoch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anita,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.  It gave me hope that my USB mic would eventually work as well.

As you've probably read from my above two posts, problem solved with a manual install of the latest patch.

Thanks again,

K. Reyoch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources