• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File type of WebHelp start page

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2006 Jun 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I've always accepted RH's default file type for my WebHelp output start page (*.htm), but my UNIX admin is asking me to switch this, if I can (and apparently I can), to .html. Any consequences to doing this, that anyone's experienced?
Thanks much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 01, 2006 Jun 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gimkrak

There is simply nothing I'm aware of (short of a customized home grown search option) that would prevent one from using the .HTM extension over the .HTML extension.

However, having said that, you should be able to easily configure the start page with the .HTML extension. Just tack an extra "L" onto the .HTM. If that satisfies your UNIX admin, so be it. However, don't be too surprised if the 'NIX admin then starts quibbling over all your pages ending in .HTM and insisting you change them all to .HTML. That part won't be so easy. You would then have to change every link you have in your system. Otherwise, broken links galore!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2006 Jun 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thanks much for the speedy reply. Yeah, good caution there ... but my UNIX admin posts everything I do for the rest of the world to see, so I've gotta keep him happy....

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Rick, you can't just change the project launch file to help.html because:

Every topic has this interesting bit of code:

if (window.setRelStartPage)
{
setRelStartPage("help.htm");
}

I'm not sure when the "if" condition is satisfied, but something is going to looking for a relative start page with just .htm at the end.

Ask the Unix guy if this is so important that you will have find and replace .htm with .html everywhere it occurs in WebHelp files including, of course, the file names.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harvey

Sounds like you thought I said to just gen WebHelp and change it after the fact. After re-reading it, I do see where the confusion can occur.

What I should have added was this:

You change this in the first dialog when generating WebHelp. Doing this will result in all those references you correctly cite, being pointed to the correct start page with the .HTML extension.

I see where one could have easily construed that it was as simple as renaming the page once generation was complete.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick, you know, I somehow intuited the intended meaning in your original post -- i.e., select .html instead of .htm in that initial dialog of the wizard used to generate the WebHelp output. So I'm going to try that and see if it does the trick without causing additional headaches.

Harvey, thanks for pointing out that bit of potentially problematic code! Good to be aware of that. If things do go awry, I'll know where to start looking.

Many thanks, all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp