• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS4: Exporting as cropped image, unable to define Crop Area or Crop to Artboard

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preface: I am using Adobe Illustrator CS4 Design Premium, Windows version.

I am currently designing some projects in Illustrator CS4. I am NOT using multiple artboards, only one. On previous versions of Illustrator, users could simply Export> an image as a JPG, and the image would be appropriately cropped to either the Document size, or predetermined Crop Area marks which were easily chosen in the Object dropdown menu.

Since the ever useful Object > set cropmarks function was removed with the advent of CS4, I am unable to Export an Illustrator file as a high-res JPG or TIF using the supposed Artboard as the cropmarks. In other words, when trying to export my project, the saved/exported image includes all content placed in the document, even material that extends beyond the Document size or Artboard size. Why is this? What am I overlooking?

In the Artboard dialogue or settings, I cannot locate any option to set the Artboard as the default crop area for Exporting, saving, and printing, etc.

After doing a bunch of research trying to find a fix, I have only discovered that there are thousands of other people posting on various forums regarding this same issue, so I think a detailed and complete explanation or instruction on how to do this would be very helpful and appreciated.

Other than in the Save For Web & Devices settings, there seems to be no options to Export using cropmarks, or export a file to be properly cropped to the Artboard dimensions. Again, I know this function is possible when Saving for Web, but not with a normal high resolution Export as a flattened image such as a jpg... or at least I can't find out how.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

right.jpg

this_is_not.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom left corner of the Export Dialog is the Use Artboards check box. It will clip to the Artboard for export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also select a a range and a specific artboard. so if make and artboard to the size of the cropped are, you hold the shift key while the art board tool is selected to add the new artboard, it will give you the same effect as the crop area and you can specify that artboard since it will have a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make it so the filename doesn't get a number added to the end of it when you export using artboard? We work with hundreds of files and have documents that are linked to the JPEGs we export. Whenever there is a change to a piece of art, we have to save over the old JPEG to update the change. With CS4, if we save over the old JPEG when exporting using the Artboard bounds, it saves over the old file, but adds a number to the end of the filename which breaks the link to that JPEG. I realize the reason for the number is to identify which artboard it is in order to be able to determine each peace in a file that has multiple artboards. Is there a way to disable the renaming, though, since we are only using one artboard in our files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is another frustrating part of this new feature.

Anyone know how to eliminate Illustrator automatically adding a number extension to the filename when exporting as a .jpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing about this?  Very annoying. I don't think the Adobe guys are very aware of use patterns, or at least not mine (which is mostly technical papers using word).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, nothing.  Whenever there is an Adobe update of any kind, I send them another bug report about it in hopes the next update will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Larry!! Works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So simple! I wonder how many of us who frequently export artboards missed this in the "what's new" (if it was there at all). Some things ought to have red flags (the checkbox for "use artboard" in the export screen perhaps?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally the solution to my problem, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue in CS5.  Exactly.  I'm trying to export a bmp, with one artboard only, and I cannot choose Use Artboard, it's greyed out and uncheckable.   If I pick png, check the Use Artboard box, then switch back to bmp, it's now checked BUT STILL GREYED OUT AND UNCHECKABLE.   It still does not use the artboard to crop my image. 

Not only that, but 7 of the 13 choices of files to export as do not let you choose to use the artboard. 

I can't believe I'm the only one with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another option if you're using any of the suites (ie design cs5) you can use Ps to save as .bmp file and the aspect should be correct. I know it's a funky work-around, but it gets the job done and that's all that matters right? i calculate a 5sec fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh this is pathetic and in my opinion a bug or false advertising. Since they haven't fixed it i believe this is false advertising and misleading for users who may have upgraded for this "feature".

I do know some CS2 users who are holding out from upgrading for this reason!!

I wonder what CEO's or higher ups would say if they heard or could understand this issue...How does program loose features meanwhile Adobe has how many billions in resources to fix these type of issues for their users who paid a pretty solid chunk for software that should work properly.

Need some competition to fire them up! (any alternatives to illustrator anyone actually using?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel has a good alternative actually it's like a combined version of Ps and Illustrator look in to that one. also Gimp which is free is cool and Fireworks from adobe is similar to illustrator, but fireworks used to be a macromedia company and they were competition, but were bought out by them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s not a full solution but as you can rename artboarts (at artboards panel), maybe you can name it as something generic like an underline or your company name. At least it will be better then a number (I think).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still helpful after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I might like to add to this forum--

I went through all the steps above, trying to figure out why Illustrator was not cropping to the artboard. I made sure the checkbox for "Use Artboards" was checked in the Export options box, and checked for crop marks, etc., but still it was cropping to the edges of my objects. Finally, I realized that I had the bleed turned on, and Illustrator was cropping to the bleed, not the artboard. Just thought I would throw this in, in case someone else has this same issue. Also, I am currently using Adobe Illustrator CC. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel ashamed that this helped me just now. Thank you, though! Darn bleed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see the solution so sorry if I missed it. 

Like an idiot I designed my clients work using artboards - they now want it exported as a BMP.  The idea was these artboards 1x1 are icons but when i try to export the BMP I cannot select artboards and it exports the entire work - useless!

Has anyone resolved this and why would they do this? I wasted so much time!!! now I have to go back in and create 63 individual ai files... MACROMEDIA come back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gendoyle76 schrieb:

Has anyone resolved this and why would they do this? I wasted so much time!!! now I have to go back in and create 63 individual ai files... MACROMEDIA come back!

This thread is 7 years old. I doubt that the participants even remember its existence.

What you could do:

export some other raster format (PSD, TIF, PNG ...) that allows artboards. Then convert to BMP using Photoshop or some other app that has batch support

In case you also use Illustrator CS4 AND have organized your stuff with layers: use an export script to save to single vector files like: An Illustrator script for exporting layers and/or artboards into separate files (PNG8 / PNG24 / EPS ...  (I hope it works with CS4)

In case you have a more recent version:

Save as AI and in the second dialog box export each artbaord to its own file. Then export these as BMP from Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

I saw that solution on the board – this has literally added 4 hours to my work or more. They also aren’t coming out as clean as if I saved them directly from illustrator – so I’m looking like a chump. smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use this, it will export and crop only the artwork of each layer, instead of artboard. It should solve your problem.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YEgoEsu4Vk)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines