Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footer looks lovely (in RH), published view shows yukky black line

Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using an .htt for quite awhile (several months) and was happy with the centered, font size 8, copyright notice in a muted gray.

This week, I noticed some topics sporting a wide black line that doesn't respect margins in place of that lovely footer.

So I checked the .htt, which still has a nice body/footer/header layout. I renamed the desired .htt, highlighted all topicsin the topics list, right clicked, and assigned it as the Master page. Cleared my published folder locations, and republished. Same ugly black line.

What happened?

RH 8, project was upgraded from RH 7 in June 2009.

Possible corollary (but different topics): certain books on the published server(s), are stuck in a sort of strobe light state and display nothing. If I click on some other topic, the "book" has toggled (expanded/closed).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Hi,

For a quick fix, use a find and replace tool,  FAR does a good job, to replace

<?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>

with

<?rh-region_end type="body" ?>

<?rh-region_start type="footer" style="width: 100%; position: relative;" ?>  <p class="Footer">Copyright (C) 2005-2009 UBmatrix, Inc.</p> <?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>

Note that your correct topics also end with <?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>, so do NOT automatically replace all instances, check EVERYTHING before you replace it! If you only have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i found the problem (for the footer). But I don't know how to fix it.

The topics with the ugly black line end as:

The topics that have an intact footer end as:

<?rh-region_start type="footer" style="width: 100%; position: relative;" ?>
<p class="Footer">Copyright (C) 2005-2009 UBmatrix, Inc.</p>

Is there a quick fix?

Jenelle the American

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For a quick fix, use a find and replace tool,  FAR does a good job, to replace

with

<?rh-region_start type="footer" style="width: 100%; position: relative;" ?>  <p class="Footer">Copyright (C) 2005-2009 UBmatrix, Inc.</p> <?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>

Note that your correct topics also end with <?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>, so do NOT automatically replace all instances, check EVERYTHING before you replace it! If you only have a handful of faulty topics, you may just want to do it by hand.

What happens in your topics is that the footer is closed, but the body is not closed and your footer isn't opened. I expect that RoboHelp will add these lines itself, when you modify the topics in the WYSIWYG editor.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Willam!

(now I see the strobe light problem is related to some of the topics were apparently "saved" from a published repository. There are multiple lines of javascript in the header (html view). When I delete this, the whole topic content disappears.

Any ideas on how to fix THAT issue?

i.e.here's what most certainly doesn't belong in the help topic source file

<link rel="stylesheet" href="UBmatrix.css" type="text/css" /> <style type="text/css">/*<![CDATA[*/

ul.whs1 {

list-style: disc;

}

p.whs2 {

margin-left: 40px;

font-style: italic;

}

LI.p-whs2 {

font-style: italic;

}

img_whs3

/*]]>*/</style> <style type="text/css">/*<![CDATA[*/

div.WebHelpPopupMenu

/*]]>*/</style> <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" title="WebHelpSplitCss">//<![CDATA[ <!-- if (navigator.appName !="Netscape") { document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' href='UBmatrix.css'>");} //--> //\]\]\></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" title="WebHelpInlineScript">//<[CDATA[ <!-- function reDo() { if (innerWidth != origWidth || innerHeight != origHeight) location.reload(); } if ((parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4) && (navigator.appName == "Netscape")) { origWidth = innerWidth; origHeight = innerHeight; onresize = reDo; } onerror = null; //--> //\]\]\></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2" src="whmsg.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="whver.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2" src="whproxy.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2" src="whutils.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2" src="whtopic.js"></script>

</head

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You should start with http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/NewProject.htm#MonthlyScry/062004.htm, who tells you how to transform published topics back to source files. The /<![CDATA[/ contains RH code that you can delete. It'll be some work. -- If you don't have any DHTML in your topics, you can always copy and paste the text into a new topic, but just read RoboWizards article first.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that I'm trying to do.  I was able to put the copyright in so that it displays at the bottom of each topic, but how do I get it to be formatted differently from the rest of the topic (smaller font size and specific font)?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new style with the font characteristics you want and assign this to the footer.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

One addition to Colum's post. The paragraph you use for the footer already has the class Footer. In your stylesheet, create the class P.Footer {} and add the markup you want. This will style all the footer paragraphs at once.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm going to need some very basic instructions on how to do this.  Here's my situation:

I need to have a copyright statement at the bottom of each of my RH topics.

Here are my questions:

• Where do I input the text for the copyright?
  • Do I create a separate style for the copyright or do I use the footer?
  • Is there some way to automatically populate each topic with the copyright?

Thanks so much for everyone's assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'll try to help.

cvgs wrote:

• Where do I input the text for the copyright?

I'm not sure if you are using RH7 or RH8 or maybe even older, but you need to first create a Topic Template (RH7 and older) or a Master Page (RH8).

In the Template / Master Page, you click View > Footer. This will bring the Footer area into view.

You type the footer information and apply styling as you wish to see it. Just as you would inside your topics.

Once the Footer has been designed, you associate the Template / Master Page with all your topics. You do this by selecting all the topics in the Topic List (This will be a Pod in version 7 or 8 and it's a Tab on the right side in 6 or earlier). Just press Ctrl+A to select all topics. Then right-click and choose Properties. From the Properties area, Choose the General tab and choose the Template or Master Page there.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

This is exactly the kind of handholding that I needed. It's done and looks great.

Thanks so much for the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary K. Greer

Information Developer - Learning Management Solutions

Intelligent Automation Solutions Client Services

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CVGS.

If you want different size/color fonts in the footer, you can always apply character formatting to words in a paragraph.

For example, if you create a character style Copyright...you can apply that character style in a paragraph.

If you had a character style named FieldLabels and you applied that character style to the field names in a procedure, narrative, etc, you could redefine the FieldLabels style from bold to bold italic, and it would change the words/characters in all the topics.

I have a style called RedText that I assign to questions and passages that need feedback/review. I also format the "red text" passages with Hide.

Then, when I publish to the production server I can exclude the Hide stuff.

But when I publish to the staging (review) server, I don't exclude the Hide stuff.

This is the only way the developers can review draft content (they just look for the red text).

I haven't figured out how to combine RedText AND Hide...it would save a lot of time if I could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This is all good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Mary K. Greer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

RE:setting the {P class footer}

Do you recommend folks use the class settings rather than work through the GUI list of paragraph/character styles?

Can you provide insight/advice as to why the HTML  (<?rh-placeholder type="footer" ?>) stuff got mangled when editing topics in WYSIWYG?

The WYSIWYG shows a lovely,correctly colored footer, but it doesn't publish that way. Is it unsafe to cut and paste in WYSIWYG?

I've been splitting long topics in two by duplicating them and then deleting parts to remove replication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yenelli,

You may want to ask that question in a separate discussion. I think it will get answered faster that way.

Mary K. Greer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CVGS.

When you have the Master Page open, use the Footer style for the footer. Then, you can format the style any time. I formatted my footer style as centered, with a light blue size 8 font.

The footer is about 6 or so lines of html code at the bottom of the HTML view.

I have reason to believe that the little dashed box that shows up on the Master Page (and assigned to topics via Topic Properties page)....can be corrupted when editing topics in WYSIWYG (Design) view. My question to the forum was about a number of topics that only have the last <html> placeholder for the footer--I surely did NOT have this situation when I imported the topics into the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp