• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Install RoboHelp 8 - get system admin has set policies that prevent this installation.

Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Goldman Sachs.  My system administrator is logged into my PC and we're trying to install RoboHelp 8 from the CD.

When we run AutoPlay, we get the language window and click OK.

Then we get a window that says "The system adminstrator has set policies that prevent this installation".  When we click OK, the same window appears 2 more times.

When we're finally able to exit that window, an Adobe Extend Script Toolkit CS4 - Setup Error window displays and the message is "Setup has encountered an error... Contact Adobe Support.

We're trying to do a dual install to test RoboHelp 8 while still working in RoboHelp 7.  My PC was just reimaged and my administrator reinstalled RoboHelp 7 without any problems.

Don't understand why we're having problems with RoboHelp 8 unless the setup is trying to go out to the web and pick something up at the beginning of the install.  Goldman's firewalls will not allow that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget to add that we've called this into Adobe Support. Case # is 181128372

PJV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure if RoboHelp 8 is different, but earlier versions required you to log in as yourself with Administrative privileges during the install. After installing you needed to run RoboHelp the first time as yourself with Admin privileges. After that, your IT folks could lock you down and things would be okay.

Unfortunately it appears you aren't even reaching that point.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

I don't have Admin rights on my PC, my adminstrator had no problems installing RH7 using the global admin logon. She did it this morning and everything worked fine.

This afternoon, we tried to do the same thing with RH8 and got the error about the system admin policies.  I don't understand the process worked fine with RH7 and not RH8.

I confirmed with Adobe this morning that I no longer needed admin rights as of RH7 and the same applied to RH8 but for installation purposes it was suggested that someone with admin rights run the installation. Also, saw Peter Grainge's article regarding installing RH7 that mentions the change in admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry. I figured since you tried it without and things didn't work, it might be worth trying with Admin rights enabled to see if you got a different outcome.

One other thing I've seen in the past. I'm not sure if you are installing via CD or DVD or not, but years ago we would find things refused to install properly from the media. The workaround was to copy the install files from the media to the hard drive, then attempt installing from there.

Best of luck to you... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paula

I believe the answer is in the final paragraph of your first post. It is ringing a bell with me that an internet connection is required at the time of installation. Counter to that is that it would have been the same for RH7, which you can install.

I will make some enquiries.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2009 Aug 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been reminded that you could run RH7 without activation for seven days. I have only installed RH8 on machines with an internet connection and it has been automatic. That suggests that RH8 requires such a connection and from there it maybe that it will not install without an internet connection. However, rather than just failing, I would expect it to prompt you to phone for an activation code. In other words the logic is to automatically activate if a connection is available and prompt if not.

That raises the question about how you originally installed RH7 if you have no internet connection. Maybe the firewall block is different now compared with when you originally installed or maybe you phoned?

Check the help menu on the RH7 installation and see if it is activated. Let us know and we can take it from there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

My machine was completely reimaged on Thurs and then RoboHelp 7 installed without any problems by the technical using her admin rights.  I went back into RH7 and registered the product.

Not sure what you mean by "Check the help menu on the RH7 installation".  I clicked help on the RH7 home starter page and was taken to the Adobe help site if that's what you mean.  Help in the application opens up fine.  We installed all of the patches up to 7.03.001.  I'm able to create topics and ftp from RoboHelp 7 just like I did before the machine was reimaged and the application re-installed.

The issue is with RoboHelp 8.  We want to do a dual install so I can test RH8 while still working on RH7, which Tulika from Adobe says can be done.

However, the installation for RH8 failed because of the admin message.  Why would RH7 install fine using the admin's login at 10am in the morning from the CD and 5 hours later RH8 fail?  Unless, like you said, RH8 is trying to access the internet during the install and GS' firewall is blocking it.

We need the work around to do the install.  Checked the troubleshooting topic that is out on support site and it doesn't help us.

Paula V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why would RH7 install fine using the admin's login at 10am in the morning from the CD and 5 hours later RH8 fail?  Unless, like you said, RH8 is trying to access the internet during the install and GS' firewall is blocking it."

That is what we are trying to establish!

"Check the help menu on the RH7 installation"

You are talking about registration. My question is about activation. Did you or your admin get prompted to activate the installation of RH7? If not, then look at the help menu and you will see either Activate or Deactivate. If you see Activate, then try activating the product.

Once I know that, I will see what else I can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW. You can have dual installation, I have it on several machines. I assume this machine has not had RH8 on it before. It should be a different warning but best to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copying my response to email  here

I do not remember a prompt to activate/deactivate the product when my tech admin was doing the RoboHelp 7 install. I just checked the RH7 help menu on my machine and also asked my associate, who has RH7 installed, to check her installed version neither one of us has an "activation" option in the menu.

Why do I need to be concerned about RH7, it is working fine? 

The problem is we're having is the installation of RoboHelp 8 from the CD. Regarding RoboHelp 8, I had tried to install it before my machine was reimaged. Got the same error message that my tech admin got when he tried to install after the machine was reimaged.  When the reimaged my machine, everything on my C drive was blown away that's why we had to re-install RH7.

We have NOT tried downloading the RH8 files and installing like Rick suggested. We were trying to install RoboHelp 8 from the CD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but what's the "copying my response to email" about?

This image is from RH8 but 7 should be the same. I can check later.

Deactivate.jpg

You don't see Deactivate or Activate there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't realize that it took a few minutes for the emails to be posted to the Adobe forum site.

There is no activate/deactivate option on the help menu of RH7 for either myself or my associate. Might it be because it is multi-license purchase and the activation is done when I asked for the CDs on the licensing site?

Paula Valentine, Consultant

Controllers Technology Project Office

Goldman, Sachs & Co.

Tel: (800) 323-5678, ext. 25038 or (212) 902-5038

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Volume Licensing? I think that is something you would only go for if you have a high volume or users and my understanding is you only have a couple of users for whom volume licensing would be way over the top cost wise.

Let me have exact details on this as I need to know exactly what you are trying to install before I can ask further.

Volume licensing does not require activation, all other forms do, to the best of my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have a volume license that's the way GS purchased the application even though it is just for 2 users.

Goldman, Sachs & Co.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

My tech admin was able to install RoboHelp 8 after downloading the files locally to his machine. Question is do we need to install all of the following if we're using RoboHelp HTML?

Adobe Bridge CS3

Adobe Device Central CS3

Adobe Extension Manager CS3

Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2 and Manager CS3

Adobe Source Control 3.1

There's also an option to install RoboHelp HTML and RoboHelp for Word.

Goldman, Sachs & Co.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula.

Do you need to install them? No provided you don't want to use them. Do you want to install them? That depends on the answer to the first question. As you have discovered, RH comes packaged together with lots of other apps. Personally I'd install them all except for the source control and RH for Word options. RH for Word is only going to be required if you ever have a need to produce a WinHelp file. The source control app is only required if you want to use Adobe's inbuilt source control fuctionality. All the others may come in useful.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you downloaded?

Those items are not part of RH8. Also when you talk about Adobe Source Control, do you mean RoboHelp Souce Control?

Did he download the ordinary trial or the volume version? As we have established, you will be able to tell from the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're downloading RoboHelp from the CD that we received when we purchased the upgrade of our multi-license version from Adobe, so we're looking at a volume license version. We are not trying to download a trial version. According to my admin person, he copied the files from the CD to his local drive and has noted the items mentioned as being new.

Regarding Source Control, that was a typo on his part, it is RoboHelp Source Control 3.1 is that he was seeing as part of the download.

Goldman, Sachs & Co.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not remember a prompt to activate/deactivate the product when my tech admin was doing the RoboHelp 7 install. I just checked the RH7 help menu on my machine and also asked my associate, who has RH7 installed, to check her installed version neither one of us has an "activation" option in the menu.

You can reach me at 212-902-5038

Goldman, Sachs & Co.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp