Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WYSIWYG editing corrupts the footer HTML

Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous discussion re "ugly footer" suggests an HTML annoyance/pitfall when editing in the WYSIWYG view.

Willam suggested setting the {P class footer}--which is tweaking HTML OUTSIDE the master page.

Does anyone have recommendations about use the class settings rather than work through the GUI list of paragraph/character styles?

I've been splitting long topics in two by duplicating them and then deleting parts to remove replication.

Can someone provide insight/advice as to why the HTML  (<?rh-placeholder type="footer" ?>) stuff got mangled when editing topics in WYSIWYG?

Is it unsafe to cut and paste in WYSIWYG?

RobhHelp HTML project using RH8, publishing WebHelp (primary layout)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The code you are citing is something that would be managed by RoboHelp. So editing using the WYSIWYG should be totally safe.

It's anyone's guess as to why or how it got mangled on you.

Copying and pasting in WYSIWYG is usually totally safe. The only possible issue with editing in WYSIWYG view is if you attempt to modify a Header or Footer. But even if you did, RoboHelp normally advises that you are editing an element that may affect several other topics. It then normally offers an option to update for all topics or to disassociate from the Template / Master Page and keep the changes only on this topic.

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.

One would think, then, that in order to fix the footer problem (the missing lines of <?rh-placeholder type="header/footer" ?> stuff), cited one should edit the Master page and reapply it to the topics. I'm trying to trace possible causes. In HTML view, I see that the "ugly black line" definition (snippet below) got into the <head> of some topics--and this is the cause of the "ugly" footer in the PUBLISHED topic. In Design view (WYSIWYG) the source file shows the copyright footer. . . . <title> Blah</title> <link rel="StyleSheet" href="CompanyStyles.css" type="text/css" /> <style type="text/css">/<![CDATA[/

body {

border-bottom-style: Solid;

border-bottom-width: 4px;

}

/]]>/</style>

</head>

I DO know that I have a solid 4px line defined for H2 (the topic title), but it is in a lovely blue hue. How the H2 bottom border got into the page definition is the mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What do you mean exactly by: "Does anyone have recommendations about use the class settings rather than work through the GUI list of paragraph/character styles?"

What I've seen in your previous post, suggests that you use the paragraph class Footer for your copyright notice. I think it is allways better, for all styling, to select a class from the drop down list.

Capture1.jpg

If you always select Footer for you footer text, you can edit the style of all your footers by simply editing your style sheet. You can ofcourse style any element by using the different styling buttons from RoboHelp. Whenever you need to change those styles, you have to manually edit the paragraphs. This will not be a problem for your footer, since you only style it from a template of master page. However, say that you make all names of screen blue and bold and suddenly you want them to be green and italic. If you styled the screen names using a class, you can change all screen names from your style sheet. If you styled using the styling buttons, you will either have to use a find and replace option, or you must change every sreen name by hand.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam,

When you use the term "class settings"

I interpreted that as something special RoboHelp java script that use { class ; and <?rh- type HTML.

Now I see by your Capture1.jpg that you are referring to "style" (the word I'm familiar with). The tooltip I see for that control is "Apply Style"

Thanks. I agree completely with the rest of what you wrote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2009 Aug 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough earlier. You do apply a style, but you should know that a class is not a style.

Say that you have three different kind of paragraphs, footer, header and body-text. You select a style from the style menu, but for HTML, a paragraph is just a paragraph, there's no difference between the three. The class is style class from your style sheet that you use to control how the paragraph is displayed.

Greets,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp