• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing huge Word doc with style problems. headache of the century

Participant ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, another question, thanks heaps so far for all the help.

I'm in a big hole now though.

We have a 600-ish page document, this is the main training document and I want it in RH for obvious reasons.

The problems are.

A - This doc was created without a word template.

B - Some styles have been used to format text, some have not meaning some Heading 1 areas use the style Heading 1, other Heading 1 areas are simply formatted the same but no style is assigned. This is basically present throughout with various styles and text formats.

C - There are numberous screen shots that have diagram arrows and circles over the top to highlight or identify key areas of the screenshot, when imported in RH they do not maintain formatting or location as they are treated as seperate images and do not overlay in the same way. Grouping them in Word does not work as I can not group an image and a diagram.

So what I'm trying to find out is the easiest, most effiecnt way to import this document and keep styles and formatting.

I could go through the whole word doc and format everything so that styles are used correctly. Painstaking.

I could import with RH, then format the styles. Just as painstaking.

I could .....??? What else. I'm not really sure, anyone else have experience with something nightmare-ish like this or am I in for a week of formatting.

Thanks very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the easiest, most efficient way to import this document and keep styles and formatting"?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it! There isn't one, unfortunately.

Your best bet is to clear and/or replace the formatting in the Word doc before importing it. You can use two Word tools that RH doesn't have:

• Select multiple paragraphs, then select Format > Styles and Formatting > Clear Formatting.
  • Select a paragraph, click Format Painter (the little brush toolbar icon to the right of the Paste icon), and  select the paragraph that will get the same style. If you double click the brush, you can then "paint" the style to multiple paragraphs (any other keystroke will cancel the multi-paint "session").

Sorry, there's no easy way. Just put your head down, and crank away. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can finish what might seem at first insurmountable. Trust me, doing it in RH would be even worse...

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah thanks, I didn't think there was any easy way to do it. Never is with Word is there. Ah well, thought I'd ask just incase. Let the battle begin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp