• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to configure a multi-homed IIS server with CF8 on local network

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit lost trying to configure my development server in CF Builder (windows XP).  The server is Win2k with CF8.

The server sits next to my workstation, and the workstation has drive mappings to the server.

Websites on the server are under c:\websites\<sitename>

Coldfusion is in c:\ColdFusion8

Each website has its own IP address, and is represented in the workstation hosts file (i.e. www.site1.dev = 192.168.1.xx)

The *default* website on the server is in c:\inetpub\wwwroot, and this is where cfide, etc resides

This creates a situation where CF8 admin is at a different IP from each of the sites.

So...  Do I set up each site as an RDS connection, or can I set it all up as a local server (using mappings)

I read Ben Forta's intruduction article, and am kind of lost - it didn't match up well with the server config dialogs.

I've been looking forward to seeing 'bolt'.  Any assistance is most appreciated!

- Don

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I wrote this thinking you were connecting to it as a remote host.  If this is true you can try this method if not let me know and the setup I use might work for you and I will post how to do it.

I haven't tried to do this because I don't have a setup I can try, but here is a way I believe might work.

If you go to set up a server for each website where the document root is set to the document root for that website.

Then if you don't already have all of your sites set to projects in your navigator pane you will need to do that.

Once you do right click on it in the Navigator Pane and click "Apply CF Nature"  This will add option in the properties.

Now right click on it again in the Navigator Pane and click "Properties" go to "ColdFusion Server Settings" and set the server to the one you set up for that project so it will have the correct document root.

Let me know if this works after you try it.  If it doesn't I will see what else I can come up with for you to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel.  I'm not quite there yet.

I have created a server specifically for one of my projects.  I've specified the IP address that goes to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory on the coldfusion server, under which the CFIDE directory resides (if I try the project IP, it fails).  I've specified port 80 and the correct RDS user/pw.

On the "remote server settings" panel, I've set Naming Port, Username, and Password to 2910, admin, admin, which appear to be the right settings.

I've variously tried setting Document Root to both the c:\inetpub\wwwroot and c:\websites\<projectname> directories.

On the next panel for mappings, I've tried mapping each and also both of the above to their respective mapped network (local) directories.

I've not messed with extensions.

Results:

Consistently, the console window tells "Server is available. Getting server settings from Server".  It shows as "running" and I can launch the monitor and admin pages.  I can traverse the RDS Dataview.

But I can't browse using the tabs for Firefox or IE..  It returns a message stating, "Unable to resolve file on remote machine with mappings created"

I *think* I've tried all the possible combinations.  If you have further suggestions, I'm all ears and would appreciate any idea you may have.  I'm surprised that this is an unusual and challenging configuration!

- Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not quite sure what it is specifically you want to do. what is it that is not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit, I'm wondering if people use other configurations to accomplish what I seek to achieve...

I am an independent developer with a number of clients.  In order to develop for them all in a setup that best duplicates their production configuration, I have set up multiple websites on a server machine, and access them from my 'workstation' computer on the same network.

So, each website (client project) has its own IP address, and I set up a record in the HOSTS file on my workstation with a URL to access it as if on the public web.

For instance, I have a very simple project, "AsiaFineConsultants" (project name, 'asiafine').

The website root on the server is located on the disk at c:\websites\asiafine.

On the server, IIS has that set up as a website, addressable at 192.168.1.42.

My workstation hosts file has www.asiafine.dev directed to 192.168.1.42.

So, on my workstation, I can browse to www.aisafine.dev and see the website.  Simple!

I have many such projects, each with its own IP, root directory, IIS website, and entry in my workstation hosts file.

****  Doesn't everyone do it this way???? *****

Ok, the server has coldfusion installed (of course), but in its own 'website' at 192.168.1.55, with root directory at c:\inetpub\wwwroot.

This works just great.  There are no problems with this arrangement.  I've been using HomeSite and CFEclipse for years in this environment - without debugging.

As I go to set up Bolt (er, Builder) I can't get the mappings to work.  The site mapping is different from the server mapping.  Perhaps this is an over-simplification, but I can get RDS, and I can get the project in the editor, but I can't browse it internally because of mapping problems.

Problem!

Got any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

our setups are similar except i use IIS host headers therefore reducing the

need for discrete IP addresses per site/application. do you access your CF

admin by 'http://servername/CFIDE/admin'?

what mappings are not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I access the CF Admin at http://192.168.1.55/CFIDE/Administrator.

I'm shifting a project over to use Host Headers to try that method (makes a lot of sense), and have come to a startling realization and omission that is probably the 'root' of my problems, so to speak:

CFEclipse had a project option called "Edit URL", where you specified the root URL for the project.  This is where I would enter http://www.asiafine.dev to enable the internal browser to work.  I realize that for all my drive mappings and project/server coordination and complexities, I have never specified a root project URL to the internal browser!

Where do I do this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Supporting URL prefix and Virtual Host is currently not supported. To add multi-Homed IIS, separate CF server with different hostname and port needs to be given while adding server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me how to set up that server?

I've found I can't set it up at a different IP address.  How do I set it up at a different port?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, if you have a moment; Can you give me a tad more detail, or a good source for learning how to set up multiple ports?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by, "To add multi-Homed IIS, separate CF server with different hostname and port needs to be given while adding server."

I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation