• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 crashes on create Project

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have scanned existing discussions and found some similarities, but not exact problems.  if I missed the right post, i apologize for the new post in advance.

I have just installed RH7 onto my pc.  Everything appears to work well, I can edit htm files, But, when I attempt to create a new project or open an existing one.  When I attempt to create a new project, it begins to build then i receive the lovely application has encountered a problem and needs to close.  send report, results nothing.  When I attempt to open existing I receive RoboHelp was unable to load database.  One post said to deleate the xpj from the folder then try to re-opent the project, there is no xpj in the folder, and there are no hidden files or folders.

As a trial, I download the trial RH8, works great.  my boss will not upgrade yet because I have not been able to reach tech support for a week now, and the hold music is getting old.  anyway.

I attempted to upgrade the RH7 project into RH8 and it could not upgrade a some files.  I then extract HTML to source, then I was able to access the complete source of the project and compile into a new chm.  RH7 is still not able to open a exttracted source project.

I have read some forums that refer to RH7 requiring MS Word.  I know that RHx5 requires it, which we have upgraded from X5 to RH7. I was wondering if this could be a culprit since my company now only uses OpenOffice.  The last time this app was used was a few years ago when we did run MS Office.

Thanks for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You posted this in the RoboHelp HTML forum category. Are you using RoboHelp HTML? If so, word is really moot unless you are planning on creating a printed output (Word or PDF). Now if you are using RoboHelp for Word, there could be huge issues by not having Word installed.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am using RoboHelp HTML edition  7.00.116

and no need to output to Word or PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necessary to have Word installed to use RH as Rick has indicated. If you have do have Word and OpenOffice installed, that can cause problems if you try to generate a printed document. That made me look at the reference to this problem in Print Issues on my site. However, the person who had the problem only had it when trying to generate a printed document so I think we can rule that out.

You say "But when I attempt to create a new project or open an existing one". If you cannot create or open with an error, how are you managing to edit?

Was RH installed with admin rights attached to your profile?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2009 Aug 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have openOffice installed.  and will not be generating any printed docs.

I am able to open and edit just a plain htm file by its self, just not as a project.

Yes it has been installed with admin rights to my profile.

I am able to duplicate this problem on both of my PC's.  I am running from a remote locatation, which i could see maybe some dificulties on oepning an existing but not creating a new project.  I even had someone at the home office install RH HTML he ran into the same problem.  I have all the source coppied to my local drive and am attempting to open everything from my local we are not using any version control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's ignore the remote bit just for now. First of all you need to get things working in the normal in office set up.

If your colleague installed with admin rights and is working on a project on a local drive, then it has to be something to do with your environment. You need to get IT involved in that and get this person working first. I think that will tease out what is giving you grief.

Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly are the projects? Are they directly off the root of C:\ or buried within Docs and Settings or Program Files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the delay too many other projects to bounce around.

The projects are HTML Help for our machine interface compiled into Its_mmi.chm

The directories are on my book drive. H:\Help documents for MMI\ITS MMI Help\

I have also tried it on my c drive C:\Help documents for MMI\ITS MMI Help\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What exactly is a "Book drive"? Is it an external USB drive? If so, that should be okay. If it's a network drive, you really don't want your projects to be stored there. Not while you work on them anyway. Keeping them there for backup purposes if fine, however.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it is an external USB drive. I am not working off of a network drive, everything is local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp