Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can't create line breaks in pre-populated data!

Level 3

I want to have line breaks in my pre-populated data and livecycle's "object tab > value tab > Default" box doesn't seem to allow for line breaks.   Well, I've tried going about this with scripting using

this.rawValue = "bleh

bleh

bleh"

This method works fine, but I've noticed that depending on which event I insert the code, either I'm not allowed to make changes to the text or else any changes are discarded when I save the file, close, then open it anew.  Is there a way of fixing this issue using either scripting or the default box that adobe designed for pre-populating?  Thanks everyone.

-gollum

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Yes, any changes to the text will overwrite the default value specified in the XML.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 7

You have to edit the XML Source code to do this. First, put a value in the object tab > value tab > Default box so that you can find it easily in the XML code. Click on the field to select it, then click on the XML Source tab. This will take you to the first line in the XML code that defines the field. Then all you need to do is insert:

wherever you want a carriage return. This will also overwrite the value when data is typed into the form and saved. FYI, the reason your values aren't kept when you script in the default value is that the script is still in the form when you save it, so re-opening the form simply resets the default value to the script.

Level 3

Thanks, I should have thought of that myself!  It looks to me that you are able to save changes to the text by using this method.

-gracious gollum

Correct answer by
Level 7

Yes, any changes to the text will overwrite the default value specified in the XML.