• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 9 seems incompatible with Snow Leopard

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got my Snow Leopard late this afternoon and have had great luck with it so far (did an upgrade, not a clean install)...except for Acrobat 9. Ugh! Attempting to print to PDF via Adobe PDF 9.0 printer/driver causes the printer/driver to fire up and the progress windows indicates that distiller launches, but after that, the prompt for where to save the PDF to never appears and the file in the print queue disappears. Checking the log file shows quite a few errors are happening:

E [25/Aug/2009:18:35:44 -0500] Unable to execute /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf900: No such file or directory
E [25/Aug/2009:18:35:44 -0500] [Job 4] Stopping job because the sheduler could not execute the backend.
E [25/Aug/2009:18:37:12 -0500] Unable to execute /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf900: No such file or directory
E [25/Aug/2009:18:37:12 -0500] [Job 5] Stopping job because the sheduler could not execute the backend.
E [25/Aug/2009:21:49:33 -0500] Unable to update IPP DNS-SD record for AdobePDF9 - -65549
E [25/Aug/2009:21:49:33 -0500] Unable to update IPP DNS-SD record for AdobePDF9 - -65549
E [27/Aug/2009:18:35:41 -0500] [Job 7] Job aborted because the destination printer/class has gone away.
E [27/Aug/2009:18:45:43 -0500] Unable to execute /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf900: No such file or directory
E [27/Aug/2009:18:45:43 -0500] [Job 9] Stopping job because the sheduler could not execute the backend.
E [27/Aug/2009:19:38:42 -0500] cupsdAuthorize: pam_authenticate() returned 9 (authentication error)!
E [27/Aug/2009:21:16:59 -0500] Unable to execute /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf900: No such file or directory
E [27/Aug/2009:21:16:59 -0500] [Job 19] Stopping job because the sheduler could not execute the backend.

I've done a full uninstall and cleaned out all files, then reinstalled. I did the old repair/restore trick from the Help menu. I even tried printing to PDF after each patch/upgrade all the way to the latest version. No luck at all. And yes, all other CS4 apps I have work fine.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to take a stab. This strictly conjecturer on my part since I don't even X.5.

Try going to Printer Utility, and delete the AdobePDF 9 Print Driver then open. Acrobat and go to help and choose repair installation (use to be repair or replace).

uncheck both items then recheck just Adobe PDF.

choose to replace, or hit return or okay.

Now try. If no help, then you may need to file bug report with Adobe.

another thing you might try is use the uninstaller which removes all (or supposed to) adobe items and components (but not your PDF Files). then reinstall.

Since Snow Leopard is Intel only. a clean install of Acrobat 9 might load strictly intell code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response, but if you will note in my post, I had already tried all your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You now then need to file a bug report.

try Here:https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=15&6213=9

Now be sure to copy over the details above you gave for error messages.

In the interim I would suggest you tempoarily use Apple's built in PDF Print feature. You can still work with it in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new PDF Service that is installed now.  Have a look at the following KB document.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/509/cpsid_50981.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's tip looks like it's taking me in the right direction...but I've hit another road block. I performed a full uninstall (including manual deletion of application support and preference files) and then a clean install with upgrades all the to 9.1.3.

Using the "Save as Adobe PDF" results in the following error while Apple Workflow attempts to generate the PDF:

"Save as Adobe PDF quit unexpectedly while using the AdobeACE plug-in."

Subsequent attempts result in:

"Save as Adobe PDF quit unexpectedly while using the Save as Adobe PDF plug-in."

All other CS4 applications continue to work flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2009 Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this.

One problem with this workaround is that I don't seem able use the Save as Adobe PDF option in an Automator Workflow. (I get The action “Save as Adobe PDF” could not be loaded because it is not Universal. Please ask the developer for a Universal version of the action").

Is there any plan to do this? I used to be able to use an Automator print workflow to batch convert Word docs to PDF, but I can't see any way to do this anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if anyone with Acobat 9 and Snow Leopard could tell us if they are experiencing any issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thewildman wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone with Acobat 9 and Snow Leopard could tell us if they are experiencing any issues?

Uh, have you read the above comments??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point being that it appears we only have 2 posts in these forums so far related to Acrobat 9 issues and Snow Leopard. I'm here to get help and possibly help others who are troubleshooting issues. If you can't post a helpful comment, then please take your trolling to another thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 30, 2009 Aug 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was not meant to be trolling. You asked almost the same question word for word that the original poster asked.

Snow Leopard has only been out two to three days.

There are some reported issues with CS3. But no others related to Acrobat. The reported issues with CS3 are in ZDmet, cNet, and computerworld news flash sent daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you spent less time trolling and more time reading you would have noticed I am the original poster! Please move along as it is obvious you have nothing to offer to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine. If you ask a question get several results the ask again. makes one wonder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did a clean install of Snow Leopard, and a fresh install of many of my Adobe products from CD. I downloaded Acrobat Reader, but it will not let me open and PDF's. It always gives the same error message: "An internal error has occurred". It remains open, the app then quits, and it will not allow you to Open a PDF via the FIle menu either.

The new Apple Preview saves the day, and is much faster than previous versions.

I used AppCleaner to remove associated files and deleted and reinstalled with a fresh download. Same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Adobe Reader is a whole 'nother kettle of fish .. and not associated with this topic.

Persoanlly, I never use Reader myself .. either full blown Acrobat 9 .. or Apple Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Well Adobe Reader is a whole 'nother kettle of fish .. and not associated with this topic.

Persoanlly, I never use Reader myself .. either full blown Acrobat 9 .. or Apple Preview."

Well then I'd recommend "downgrading" to Acrobat 8 Pro.  It works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sfeite wrote:

Well then I'd recommend "downgrading" to Acrobat 8 Pro.  It works fine.

Actually, 9 works fine for me (so far) My initial issue was that I was just choosing the wrong PDF option. I was just trying to brainstorm with others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

telecommunicate:  This KB ""Save as Adobe PDF" does not load in Automator 64-bit Workflow on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)" might help with the message that you ran into regarding Automator workflows.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51248.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, I'll give this a shot later today and report back. (I'm a bit pressed for time right now, so I can't give this a go just now.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've tested some Automator workflows using the Save as Adobe PDF option. I can get it to work, but only on files that are already PDFs (as indicated in the Automator action description, but I was hoping it was a bit more robust than that).

Unfortunately, this is much less useful than the Adobe PDF Printer, which was able to handle, well, any type of file that could be printed. Consequently, Automator workflows could involve files of any type, which would print to PDF from their default application. If the files I'm working on were already converted to PDF I wouldn't need to batch process them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My Acrobat 9 will not even open. Instant crash.

2GHz Intel Core Duo

Snow Leopard 10.6.3

CS3 Acrobat Pro 9.0

Exception type:EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Code KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating to the latest version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael.

How do I update it if it crashes instantly? I can't open the application at all.

My desktop computer with non snow leopard (10.5.8) no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Michael.

That actually worked.

Since I did an Un Install, I had to downloat and apply about 8 updates, taking a couple hours. But it works now.

Each update has to be installed on the previous incremental version, and at the end, the Serial Number was asked for.

Thanks for your help!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have Acrobat 9 Professional and after Snow Leopard, I can no longer print. I get the printer launching as normal, but just as 'thewildman', I do not get the save window. The print queue just disappears. I have tried deleting and reinstalling Acrobat, then deleted the printer itself, and using the Repair Installation menu item from help. It works exactly the same. I have also used spotlight to be sure that the files aren't saving somewhere on the computer and just not letting me name them. They are not.

update.. Sorry, I missed the link that someone pointed out that talks about the 9.1 update.. It looks like a kluge fix, but am downloading it now.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/509/cpsid_50981.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines