• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need the .log file in the webhelp output folder?

Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using RoboHelp 8 and have been asked about the my project.log file in the webhelp output folder by one of our developers.

Strangely, even though my help system uses underscores in all the other file names (e.g. my_project.htm, etc.) this is being generated with spaces, which might be fine on Windows, but isn't on other platforms. Consequently, it's causing problems when including the help in s/w builds.

Do I need this file or can I bin it?

If I do need it, what happens if I rename it?

Thanks for any help.

Feebeegeebee.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to File > Rename and use a name with no spaces or underscores. MyProject for example. This only affects internal files and not what your users see.

Make a backup first.

I don't think the log file is used, it looks to be more a matter of record about the generation of the help. You could try running the help without it but best to avoid the problem altogether.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such a speedy reply Peter.

I'll have a go and let you know what happens.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been testing my help without this file in the output folder and I can't see any problems at all without it.

We're going to remove it altogether to avoid the non-Windows platform issues.

If I encounter any issues in the future, I'll post back here.

Thanks for your help Peter!

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK but whilst I believe the problem is fixed, there were issues with projects that had spaces in the project name so you might want to think about that change sometime.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp