• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word bullets import to different style in RH8 HTML

Participant ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I'm importing my word doc with all my styles just to test outputs and make sure everything looks ok,

but i'm having a problem.

My bullet style in Word imports and even though it is set to be the same from the import all uses of the style become different styles bulletCxSpfirst, Middle and Last. The formatting on this is slightly different and I want it to match our style guidelines. I can't seem to shake it, Iforce the style in the import, I have re-created the style several times, in new docs and the same thing keep happening. Has anyone else ever come across this?

The only thing I can think of is to format the CSS and template styles so they are the same, but this gives me 4 styles all displaying the same, a bit redundant and potentially problematic in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for my other post, by rereading your post, I seem to have been confused. -- Apart from the question why you would want to import a Word document, you can simply merge the styles in your style sheet.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, currently  I have a huge 500+ page doc, that I've spent a week styling.

But before I import it and start working with it in RH, I want to make sure the styles etc are all mapping and sisplaying correctly.

I've made my Styles.dot file with all the styles set up, So far I import to the doc into RH, and RH seems to map all the styles perfectly, except the bullets style, and now im noticing funny things with the number style too.

The CSS made from the import seems good, except these other styles which are creeping in and applying themselves to the doc.

How do I merge styles? and how will this help me?

cheers.

nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

500+ pages, how did it come so far, I wonder. Is it impressive, or just plain Word-torture

'Merging styles' is just a trick. Instead of having three styles with the same (or almost the same) style, simply create one style and add multiple classes to it:

bullitStyle1, bulletStyle2, bulletStyle3, and so on.

You can apply these three styles separate, but they have the same styling. This is just a quick fix for styles, it doesn't solve your import problem. You quickly set the different styles to the same (correct) style.

I have a rather troubled relation with Word (mostly how others style the documents they send me) and I would never import a word document... But in your case it makes sense.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the doc is a nightmare, created (by someone else) without any documentation guidelines or anything. Just made and it became bigger and bigger.

now I have to deal with it and get it into RH so I can work with it and single source it.

anyway, ill try the style merge that your suggesting. I've found that when I output to word and pdf it will match the style back with the original bullet style, so I'm not sure why RH is changing it.

Now I need to try and get the rest of these outputting correctly.

I've got a few styles that surround text with a box and color them in, in Word its perfect, but when RH outputs, it doesnt fill to the edges, its about 2 pixels off the top and bottom and 4 or so from the sides. argh, all these teething issues are getting annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain... Thats exactly the reason I'm busy eradicating all Word documentation.

Once you completely imported the word document, lock it, so no one can change it. They'll have to ask you to make changes in RoboHelp. Power to the RoboHelp user!

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've already taken the doc out of circulation.

but I've struck another hurdle. In the word doc there are about 14 styles used through the whole thing. I use Word to show me the styles used in the doc and thats all I have, perfect.

but when I import it into RH, it creates a css with about 100 styles. I can't figure out where its pulling all of these from and its getting a bit silly, there is no Find/Replace for me to just get rid of them and I can't even find any of them. It's really slowing me down trying to sort out all this formatting.

and when I import it out to word, there is a huge amount of styles, where are these all being created and why.

pulling my hair out a bit now.

---------------------------

edit

---------------------------

well, I've managed to eliminate most of the excess styles. but I'm still stuck with several that seem to be based of existing paragraph styles BodyText, BodyBold etc but seem to be applied for character styles, so now I have bodyText, and BodyTextChar.

strange, I guess this is an instance of a style being applied to a particular word within a paragraph and so RH is reading it as a character style and creating a new style based on it......??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you have edited the post. Was the solution to select the entire content of the document and press CTRL Spacebar? That gets rid of inline formatting so you then import only a properly formatted document.

Not sure about the styles that got applied as character styles or the bullets. I don't expect a perfectly clean import as you are dealing with two file formats. If it is close and will not take too long to clean up post import, I am inclined to accept that. It all depends on just how far off the import is.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I found that I was making Word show me styles 'In Use' , rather than styles in current document which had all the additional styles, and even though they were not used RH was still pulling them in and creating the CSS with them.

I just deleted the styles from the word doc and it imported fine, though it is still making these StyleNamechar styles which are bugging me, as I said before, I think paragraph styles that have been used on individual words are setting off a character style and RH is setting a style for it. As long as it keep to the correct style then I can slowly ween them out over time.

But the bullet style thing is still happening, and still very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp