• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording size v. Viewing size

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am recording work being done in an Excel spreadsheet.  The recording space is approximately 10 columns by 15 rows.  I do need to record the menu selections as I am making them.  The total real estate on the screen is not that big.  Originally though of recording 1024x768 (approx), the problem is that I am recording over 200 slides and the file size is getting out of control.

Question is this - What is the impact of setting my pre-recording screen resolution higher/lower when recording at the size above?  Which setting creates a smaller file size, yet allows the recording to fill at least 2/3 of the screen?

Rob

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarification (before anyone asks).

The end-users will be viewing at 1024x768.  I don't want the project to necessarily fill the entire screen when the browser window opens.  I prefer the browser window to be 75-80% of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Try setting Captivate to record at no larger than 1000 x 680 and use the Snap to Fit feature before recording.  A finished project of 1000 x 680 will fit in a browser set at 1024 x 768 with the toolbars hidden (suggest that the user F11).

Leslie Bivens

E-Learning Developer/Captivate Coach

leslie@lesliebivens.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is to record at a size approx 990 x 590. When you add the playbar below that, the movie gets approx 30 pixels taller. I would not rely on your users pressing F11. I also edit the standar.htm file so that the page margin/padding is set to 0, giving my Captivate movies more screen real estate.

I would experiment, capture some movies at various sizes, publish, and open the HTML file/movie in your browser - with all the standard toolbars at 1024 x 768. Can you see the entire movie and control bar, without having to scroll?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KCWebPlaza,

I agree--the smaller the resolution the better (wthin reason, of course).  The problem that I've observed is that app developers seem to be designing at higher and higher resolutions: 1024x768 or above.  Wouldn' it be nice if app developers and training developers worked together as the app is being designed?  Ah, dreams!

Experimenting is always best: set the capture window size, 'snap to fit' the red record window, and then without recording, go through the app.  If you have to scroll a lot--especially left to right, resize the recording window and try again

I actually captureat between 1000x600 and 1000x620 and then resize (not rescale) to add at least a 30-pixel header and 30-pixel footer.  I really miss the C3 feature of the playbars appearing in my footer--along with any text and a timed "Click Forward" prompt.  Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leslie

I'm really hoping you (and all others that are affected) do stop and take a moment to report the undesired behavior of CP4 to force this new behavior. CP next is undergoing development and the developers seriously need to be aware how changes such as this that deviate from the prior version's behavior impact you!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.  I did put in a request when I was previewing C4 and discovered the feature.  I'll put in another request--as a license holder.  --Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I'm tasked with creating training for some applications that are fixed at 1200 x 1024. It's as if some developers who run their PCs at high resolutions (heck, mine is 1680 x 1050), don't account for our standard corporate resolution is still 1024 x 768 for 90% of our employees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wait 'til those developers are over 40, with their Ben Franklins perched on their noses.  The screen resolutions might come down!  --Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scout's mom wrote:

Just wait 'til those developers are over 40, with their Ben Franklins perched on their noses.  The screen resolutions might come down!  --Leslie

Nah, they'll all be too busy lighting cigars with the Franklins falling out of their wallets!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources