• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture device offline

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2008 Nov 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after getting all psyched up to start my first project in CS4, I've hit a bit of a snag.

No matter what I do, I can't get cs4 to capture from my Sony HDR HC3. The strange thing is that it can definitely see the camera because the playback transport buttons actually work. I can make the camera play and rewind etc from the capture panel. The all important RECORD button remains ghosted however and there is a message across the top that says Capture device Offline.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dell T7400
12 gigs RAM
Vista 64
Adobe CS4
HDV footage.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to get the camera online.
First connect camera to pc and set it to hdv. Start Premiere and set the project setting to hdv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most important, go to Project > Project Settings > General and change Capture Format from DV to HDV.

/Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah good one, forgot about that. They split the two up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also important to set the camcorder to DV or HDV before connecting to the PC. Windows detects the format only at conection time, after that it will not detect a format change.

Cheers
Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
- Over 300 frequently answered questions
- Over 250 free tutorials
- Maintained by editors like you
Forum FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is not seeing my Canopus Firewire capture device. I do not want hdv because it is DV.  If Premiere does not see the Capture device, it does not matter what camera is connected to it.  It would at least see the device. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using 2024 the feature has been removed from the program.

Use 2023 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the exact same problem I have on the Canon XH-A1. Have you solved it on your side yet? Tried DV and HDV, just can't get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all of the above. No luck. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these two steps: 1) reset camera to dfault factory setting 2) connect camera to computer before starting premiere. Is the tape in the camcorder set to erase protected? Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try a camera reset. The camera is not set to erase protect as far as I know.

More bizzarreness... Vista's built in video capture tool (the one that pops up when you plug in a camera) both sees the camera and is able to capture the tape to an AVI. I'd prefer not use use this meathos simply becasue I've never heard anyone reccoment it as a preferred meathos and I don't kno enough about codecs to know if the AVI file will cause me problems later on.

I also downloaded HDV Split. HDV Split was not able to see the camera at all.

I have Vista 32 bit and CS3 loaded on a differnt hard drive... tonight I will try booting to my old OS and captureing from there. That might rule out a camera problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have Vista 32 bit and CS3 loaded on a differnt hard drive

Is it an external hard drive? If it is that is probably your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Both HD's are internal.

It's not a hard drive issue, it's definetly a connection issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is it is a camera setup problem. If HDVSplit does not recognize the camera, the camera is not properly configured for capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the camera is working fine in other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to PP2, or CS3, Jim Simon compiled a list of camera Capture settings and proceedures of correcting similar problems. I know that he uses Panasonic, but his list was pretty complete. Maybe a search of all Premiere forums will turn it up, or maybe he'll weigh in with his recs.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
We do reviews for Adobe on their software, we just received Production Premium CS4 today and have the same problems, the system that we have been trying to get it to capture on is a gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6, Premiere see's the camera as online ect but just no Device control, the funny thing is that Edius 5.01 works fine with camera control ect. Just not Premiere. Anyone got any ideas can email me at stwhitts@bigpond.com

Cheers
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just shows my camera as offline. I followed all the instructions in all these posts and still no good. HDV didn't help. The camera works fine with other applications. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not bode well for your reviews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Cannon isn't on the CS4 list of approved camera.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/search_result.html?manuSearchVar=1&modelSearchVar=0&supportSearchVar=0&brand=&dataFormat=&version=CS4&device=cameras&format=NTSC&buttonSubmit=

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

Valuable advise:

> Your Cannon isn't on the CS4 list of approved camera.

since the OP has a Sony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have absolutely no problem capturing from my HDR-HC1's on two different computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is the exact same problem I have on the Canon XH-A1. Have you solved it on your side yet? Tried DV and HDV, just can't get it to work."

I was talking to this guy. I meant to check spelling put posted sorry.
Besides there's only one Sony on the list. PMW-EX1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those lists you are referring to have NO value whatsoever. Adobe has NEVER in its long history produced a reasonably accurate and up-to-date list of what works and what does not. It is about as useful as quoting the phone book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now your getting my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines