Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preloader

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

This may seem like a dumb rookie question, but here it goes anyways.

I have a large captivate file with about 70 slides, 50 of which are videos.  I wanted to get a preloader at the beginning and possibly before the videos if necessary.  I'm having trouble trying to add a preloader.  I tried making my own and had troubles getting it to work, so I decided to use one of the generic ones for now until I get it figured out.  I went into edit > preferences > Start and End and checked the Preloader box and chose one of the default preloaders.  As far as I can tell that's all I need to do.  When I go to preview it however it doesn't show up.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is, please help.

Thanks

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The problem is that videos load when they are needed and there isn't a way I'm aware of to preload them.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I play the module it starts out really choppy, would a preloader at the beginning help that?  Also, could I somehow individually bring the videos into flash and add a preloader there?  I really just need to do something that will make this thing play smoothly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the preloader, I get this error message:

Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.

The following Local application on your computer or network:

C:\DOCUME~1\steveu\LOCALS~1\Temp\cp4Temp\~CaA5D7\capA&D1_skin.swf

is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:

C:\DOCUME~1\steveu\LOCALS~1\Temp\cp4Temp\~CaA5D7\capA&D1.htm

To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.

You must restart the application after changing your settings.

I went in and changed the settings, the error went away, but I still have no preloader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Audio or Question pools in your project?

/Michael

Click here to visit my captivate blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2009 Sep 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no question pools, but I do have a bit of video with audio in it, and one slide has a stand alone audio clip that's less than ten seconds long.

I tried another way of doing this using variables & actions, but wasn't successful in that way either.  I have another post on that subject here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/476500?tstart=0

Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you only have 10 seconds audio in your project that can't be the issue.

You write "When I go to preview it however it doesn't show up". What do you mean by preview? Are you previewing it from Captivate? If so then it won't work. Your preloader will only show up in your published project. You should set the download percentage for the preloader to 100% in order to have the whole project (ex. videos) load first.

Is it the videos that are choppy or the Captivate slides? If it's the videos then it's most likely due to their size and that they are to big. In that case you need to adjust the quality of them using Adobe Media Encoder to reach an acceptable compromise between size and quality.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I preview it in my browser, but it doesn't look like it loads at all.

I think you are right on the size of the videos, I've been working on those.  I was just hoping a preloader would help a bit as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im still not a 100% clear if you are viewing the published project or viewing from within Captivate. When you say "preview it in my browser" - are you hitting F12 from Captivate to preview it in the browser?

You need to publish your project completely (Shift + F12) in order for the preloader to work. It should work just fine - select a preloader in the preferences start and end options. Publish your project. View the published project and that should work. If not then try a different preloader.

/Michael

Click here to visit my Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources