Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 8 Search not working

Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded a project from Robohelp 7 to Robohelp 8.  Before upgrading, the Search function in the published Robohelp worked fine.  Since upgrading, it finds things but not all of the time.  For example, I search for "lost" which I know is in a few of the topics.  Nothing is found.  Does anyone have an idea why this wouldn't be working?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think your search may have fallen onto my crystal ball and broke it.

Darned if I can figure out what you are using? WinHelp, WebHelp, FlashHelp, CHM and what you are using to create it! RoboHelp for Word... RoboHelp HTML...

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL...Sorry!

Using Robohelp HTML, and publishing to Webhelp!

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the Search function works fine if I generate the .CHM file. It finds everything I am looking for. But I have always used WebHelp and would like to continue to use it...

Thanks Rick!

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week some reported search would not find Data. I tested and found the same problem.

You report that Lost cannot be found. I tested and found the same problem.

Maybe you would like to post a bug report asking why four letter words are a problem. You might want to add some more.

Sorry but it looks like the same bug, assuming you have checked your Stopped Words.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't find "stolen" either....but it finds "replacement" easily, in the same topic...

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. But at least you get a replacement for the stolen word. Sorry. Too easy.

Do report it even though I already have. It helps.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Moments ago I was playing with the RoboHelp 8 search just to see what was possible. I recalled the issue with not finding the word "Data" and further recalled that I also had issues when testing myself after reading that particular post.

I was playing about and noticed that the option labeled Enable Substring Search was not selected. After I enabled the Substring Search option RoboHelp 8 WebHelp began finding Data and other shorter words it wasn't finding before. So perhaps it's worthwhile to enable the option and test?

You find the option by looking at the Single Source Layout recipe settings. It's on the second dialog you see when you click Next >.

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - tried this yesterday and it didn't make a difference. Any other thoughts???

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd as I just tried the same trick and it works for me too.

Are you generating to your local drive? Is the project local?

Try generating to a different folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated to both local and a shared drive and still no luck. Can't find "lost" or "stolen" and I have a "Lost or Stolen" topic. Even tried in quotes....nothing...

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to create a new project with a couple of topics and test it there, with ordinary searching and stem searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
With me it's the same problem that occurs with Erika.

In the 1st case search for the word "zero" (can not find any results):

zero1.JPG

In the 2nd case study by the group "nulo e zero", then the word "zero" is recognized in the document:
zero2.JPG
If you can help... thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Rick's suggestion?

Have you tried generating to a different folder?

Have you tried creating a new layout?

You have told us you have the problem but not what you have tried from what is already in the thread. Before posting please try suggestions already made, then post stating that you have tried those solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all of that.

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erika

That post was not directed at you but to pasaree who had posted that he had the same problem but did not indicate what he had done.

In your case, I suggested sending me the test project, see my earlier reply timed at 6.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter-

Unfortunately I can't send you the file because the content is company confidential.

It's a large project.

I tried adding the search to other existing projects and they are all fine. For some reason when I publish the one where only a few search terms were working, now none are. Nothing comes up with any word I enter. It's almost like the search function got corrupted. I really don't want to recreate this project...

Thanks for the help!

Erika J. Pasarela

Technical Writer

Conde Nast Publications

(212)790-6639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have explained to people before, I am not going to risk Adobe removing me from their list of Adobe Community Experts by revealing anything from a project you send. There are only about a dozen people conferred that honour world-wide so I do rather treasure it.

This is one of those situations where you just have to use experience of troubleshooting to poke around without any real idea of what you are looking for. The experience helps you spot something you hadn't thought of but that doesn't look right.

You have tried a new layout and generating to a new folder. We don't seem to have covered renaming the CPD file, reopening RH and generating again. I doubt it would be that easy but it has to be tried.

After that there's not much I can do without sight of the project. Why not refer this to your line manager? S/He can contact me via my site and I can get the RoboHelp Product Manager to vouch for me. Would that help?

I am off on holiday early next week so we need to get this sorted quickly if you do want my help. Otherwise good luck and do let us know how you resolve it in due course.

A few words not being found I can believe is a bug but not what you are now seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Peter, I tried all of these alternatives prior to posting.
Also, I created a new project WebHelp, moved
the project files from old to new, and did not solve the problem.
It happens that where work was standardized format and Webhelp
can not switch to CHM (where the search works correctly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fernanda

I am assuming that Erika is not going to take up my offer to help notwithstanding my assurances. It will be difficult for me to help you with the project being in a foreign language. However, I am happy to give it a try. For now just post back with the size of your project zipped up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter!
I got permission to send my zipped project, the size is approximately 11 MB. I post where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send it via http://www.cutesendit.com but now I am just about to start a holiday so I am not sure when I will be able to look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you can get my address from my website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent!

Thanks,

Fernanda Rodrigues
PMO - Redatora Técnica
Telefone: (47) 3221-3300 R. 851
Senior Sistemas: www.senior.com.br

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fernandes

I generated locally and got the same problem with "zero". Then I changed the dictionary to English UK and got three hits on zero.

As the dictionary doesn't matter when you generate, try that and see if the results are correct. If they are, please report this bug and the fix.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned and there have been other reports. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Obviously you need to change the dictionary back while you are working.

The other thing to try which may save you having to change the dictionary is to make a copy of the project and change the fonts used to Unicode fonts, such as Arial Unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp