Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple topics using the same map ID

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how I go about assigning a map ID number when numerous topics use the same screen?  When I try to do it in the Map ID dialog box, it tells me the number is already assigned.

BTW, does anyone know of any documentation that helps in creating map IDs?.  Most of the information I've found here on the forum addresses how to work with the developer to make sure they work, not for the tech writer to learn how to actually do the map ID'ing so you know you are doing it correctly.  Both books I have on RoboHelp do not discuss this in any length.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't assign multiple topics to the one map id, as how would the app know which topic to display?

It might be possible, depending on the application, that developers could write custom code that displays a pop-up so users could choose which topic to display, but that is not how the default MS context help is designed, and RH has been designed to work with the MS method. Additionally, the user might not initially know which is the correct topic to select.

What we do is have a single overview topic that contains links and brief descriptions of the other applicable topics. We link the map id to this topic and then the user can choose the appropriate topic, hopefully after reading about the available options.

Additionally, for dialog boxes with multiple tabs, the developers can assign a different map id to each tab, so that each tab can have its own topic.

HTH,

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We cannot provide the same map ID or file name to multiple topics.

In situations where in within a single UI you have multiple tabs, and you wish to create separate help topics for each of these tabs,you can check with the developers and identify if they have created any unique ID for these tabs. If available you can use the same ID as the file name for each of the tabs in Robohelp.( Topic Properties > File Name)

If not available, you can create unique map IDs / file name for each of the tabs and share the same with the developers. Developers can use the IDs provided to identify the UI/tabs. On clicking the help file from a particular tab will now invoke only the corresponding help file with the mapped ID similar to the UI/Tab ID.

Thanks,

MS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input.  We are deploying the application in 4 weeks so I don't have time to do any reorganizing or re-writing to meet the deadline.  I keep thinking, surely I'm not the only writer who is documenting an application where the same screen is used for multiple tasks.  Isn't there a simpler way to do this, or does RoboHelp have this limitation and there's no way around it?

Unfortunately, the developers aren't terribly familiar with this whole process, so asking them to help with a solution isn't my best option.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when numerous topics use the same screen

What exactly do you mean by that? It is screens that use topics so I am not clear. Is it that one screen in your application is covered in a number of topics in the help?

If the screen is divided into tabs or suchlike, then usually the developers can call the required topic for that tab according to the ID you have assigned to the help for that tab.

If it really is one screen where the developers can only use one map ID, then you will have to create a topic that tells the user the screen enables them to do whatever it does and the help is covered in various topics that you link to. Your links could be in a table with the links in one column and a brief summary of what that particular topic covers in the next column.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Peter.  Yes, it is a situation where one screen in the application is used in several topics.  For example, to complete three different endorsements on an insurance policy, they all use the same screen.  Of course, there are different instructions on how to use that screen for each type of endorsement.

Does that make sense?

But I think you're probably right in that I will have to put links in those topics to the one with the map ID even though that task is not the task they are completing.

Maggie Prince

Senior Technical Writer

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

513-870-2000 ext 6112

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

Confidentiality notice: The information included in this e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and protected. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or similar action is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the original message immediately.

Message was edited by Peter Grainge to remove the email address. Never put your email address on any forum unless you fear missing emails advising you that there is a large amount of money in a Nigerian bank account which is yours to share in return for your bank account details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me reword that. One screen can need to call one of several topics.

So this screen always has the same fields regardless of which endorsement is being completed?

• If Yes, then why can't you have one topic.
  • If No, then the developers are making some change to the screen each time they call it. Can they not call a different topic in each case.

Sorry but unless you are happy to go with the earlier suggestion, more information is needed.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I guess I can combine several topics into a general topic like "Issue Endorsements."  That's obviously not my preference, but given the limitations of RH, that looks like the simplest way to go.

As always, thanks for your help.

Maggie Prince

Senior Technical Writer

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

513-870-2000 ext 6112

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

Confidentiality notice: The information included in this e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and protected. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or similar action is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the original message immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you do want to learn about large amount of money that can be shared with you. (See my edit to one of your earlier posts)

I cannot see this as a limitation of RH. The developers have created one screen. Either they can set things up so that they can call one of three IDs in which case you don't have a problem OR they can only call one map ID in which case the problem is caused by that. If you create three topics to serve one screen, what is it you expect RH to do to overcome this problem?

It sounds like you haven't appreciated my point that it is screens that use topics, not topics that use screens.

I'm not trying to be awkward. I really do not see how this is a RH problem. Please enlighten me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Peter. I did not mean to offend you.

Unfortunately, I'm still a newbie with this, and as the single technical writer, I don't really have anyone on site to go to for answers. I thought I had read in a forum post or somewhere else that you could assign the same ID to several topics, so when I was planning in my mind how to do this, I just assumed I could do it. Hence, the frustration though self-inflicted...

But I understand what you said about screens that use topics, not the other way around. I'll consider this a learning experience and know in the future that I need to structure my RH projects differently.

And yes, I continue to forget to delete my info. It's not that I am ignoring your advice, but rather that I'm 57 (memory's not always great) and when I post to this, I'm usually desperate for advice!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No offence was taken and I'd like to be 57 again.

Just drop back here next time you need a sounding board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp