Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen tip text - time display

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm using Robohelp X5 - is it possible to get the tooltip text for popups to display whilst on hover? At the moment it seems to time out after 20 seconds or so.

cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I don't believe that's possible because it's goverened by Windows itself.

Perhaps Willam or others has a nifty workaround I'm unaware of.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers - it's seems I've come to a dead end on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the time to experiment, an excellent custom tooltip utility (and it's free!) is Walter Zorn's Tooltip JavaScript Library  You can configure your tooltips for color, font, position, time, etc., and can even include images and tables.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of dhtml tooltips, but this definitly is a good one. Thanks for sharing Leon.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks - I will give it a go.

In the meantime I've been doing some experiments with Text only popups.

The problem is I don't like where they are positions which they open and I can't control the size displayed. I've been messing around with the popupspot class but can't get it right. Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The styling of the popupspot is controlled trough the javascript and the function call. The popupspot class controls the hyperlink, not the popup.

You can change the popup by right clicking on the hyperlink and choosing Text popup properties or editing the function itself (in ehlpdhtm.js). Depending on what you want, it may be easier to use the script that Leon pointed out. It'll be some more work that Robo's standard functions.

Note that a text popup requires a user to click. You can set it to work on a hover, but I think that effect is rather annoying.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent - I'm just waiting for our IS department to give me access.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm attaching an example of using Walter Zorn's tooltip utility. I tried the Insert Video button, but it doesn't seem to work like the Insert Image button does.

Note that I've enabled a title bar with a close button, and included a bullet list with links to other topics. This was designed to provide another navigation method on our home page in addition to the TOC, which is more structured into feature modules (42 merged sub-projects).

In other instances, I've customized some tooltips to appear above by increments, or to the left and above, without a title bar, etc. You can actually adapt his JavaScript file to give you the same look for all your tooltips, or customize each instance (as I have) on a topic-by-topic basis.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you mean the standard tooltips, such as in this image:

Capture1.jpg

Then, as far as I know, it's a Windows control called by the browser, like Rick suggested. There's no way I know of  to change this from a simple html page. An application can customize tooltips, but that requires scripting. Other than using ASP.NET pages, I don't know how to fix it.

I haven't worked with X5, but I haven't seen tooltips on popups before. It's defenitly not included in Robo8, but it might have been in X5. Are we talking about the same thing?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this. Sometimes it never goes to plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp