Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please install a web browser error when generating htm documents

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have looked through the forums and did find some ideas to try to fix this issue but none have worked so far. One idea was to go into the Windows folder options and make sure that htm and html files are assoiciated with Internet Explorer. I looked into this and IE was already set as the default application to open htm/html files. Just for grins I looked in the control panel's program access and defaults and confirmed the primary web browser was also set to IE.

A bit of background...

Windows XP pro machine, with RH 8. Also, using IE 8 with the lastest updates applied. Also, I can generate other smaller RH projects from this PC and other PCs can generate the project I'm having trouble with. So I am fairly certain the problem is not the PC or the project in question. A Windows problem maybe??

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-Wagstaff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

While I'm well aware that you believe the files are properly associated to IE, it certainly won't hurt to try the following steps.

Close RoboHelp.

Open Windows Explorer and associate the HTM files with Notepad.

Then re-associate them with IE.

Restart RoboHelp and test again.

Sometimes things get touched in the OS in some odd places. There are hordes of nooks and crannies in the OS where things may go wrong. My thought pattern here is that by temporarily associating with Notepad, then re-associating with IE, you might change the situation or touch the area that RoboHelp is expecting to find.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the qucik response.

I did what you asked but I get the same "Please install a web browser" message.

To test to make sure Windows had the right setting I created a new notepad.txt file and entered some text in it then saved it has a .htm and another copy as .html. I then double clicked to open the files and they both opened in IE. So based on that I guess we can assume Windows is telling the truth about that file association.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Wagstaff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Odd that it failed to work for you. Seems it's worked for all others in the past but there's always a time when a magick cure won't, eh?

What you posted gives me pause to wonder if you understood what I suggested. You seem to have simply performed a test using a notepad document. What I suggested was to re-associate .HTM files so that when you double-clicked them to open, Notepad opened instead of the browser.

One thing I neglected to mention was that you should probably close RoboHelp before doing the unassociate/reassociate hokey pokey. RoboHelp has places in the registry too.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to you again,

Sorry if I was unclear in my last post. I'm going in a 100 different directions it seems today...

This is what I did.

I closed RH then changed the htm/html assication to notepad and closed the registered file types window.

I then went back in and changed the htm/html back to opening with IE

Then I opened RH back up and opened the problem project and tried to generate the html help file and got the please install a web browser message.

What I was talking about in the last post was me just making sure Windows was indeed using the program that htm/html extensions are set to open with. If that makes any scense...

Thanks for all your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a answer for this? I am having the same problem, Please install a Web Browser ( Internet Explorer or Netscape ) ...

this happend after I had to change my IE settings back to default restore, HTM and HTML are both set for IE, I did what was requested below and nothing works.

Interested if you got a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp