• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC from Master/Merged Project Very Slow to Display in Firefox

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Master Project with 9 subprojects. If few of the subprojects are in the output, the TOC may take a minute or more to display.

However, if all the subprojects are in the output the TOC displays almost immediately.

In IE, it doesn't seem to matter. The TOC always displays almost immediately, whether one or all of the subprojects are in the output.

What is the problem?

How can I get around this problem in Firefox.

In Firefox, I use the Web Developer add-on. As the help starts up I see the following in the Error console (among other errrors). I don't know if  they are significant or not.

<<<<

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Access to restricted URI denied"  code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)"  location: "file:///PathToOutput/whutils.js Line: 232"]

>>>>

That error seems to repeat for each of the subprojects not in the output. Eight times in this case.

BTW. I am using RoboHelp 7 (included in the Tech Comm suite), in Windows XP, with 4 GB.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Firefox with the Web Developer add-on disabled?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have, and both Windows and RedHat Linux. With most installations, the Web Developer toolbar has never been installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bell was slow to ring but I have encountered this before. Someone posted quite a while back and I tested and found the same.

Discussing it with Adobe later they could not replicate and when I retested, it was OK. I can retest later but meantime...

Are you using Mark of the Web? Try turning it on/off.

Have you tried different versions of FF?

Have you cleared the cache?

Any difference between local and server installations of the help?

No reason to suggest those, just off the cuff ideas.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I've never used Mark Of The Web. So, it has been off.

I've tried 2.x, 3.x, and 3.5.x of Firefox. I don't see any difference in speed.

I will try clearing the cache, but it is interesting that you mentioned local or server. My previous experience had all been local.

I searched for NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI on the web. I hit upon:

http://www.webmaster-talk.com/javascript-forum/158783-ns_error_dom_bad_uri-in-firefox.html

It talks about a difference between local and server. So, I put the help on a server. It had only 1 of its 9 subprojects included.

When I access the help through a server, it is much faster (within acceptable performance expectations), but not quite as fast as opening the help locally with all of the subprojects in the mergedProjects directory.

Also, in the Error Console, I do not see the error, "Error: uncaught exception...".

For our users, it is unlikely that they will access the help through a server. But, those are an interesting differences.

(BTW -- in my original note, I mistakenly said the Error Console was from the Web Developer toolbar. The Error Console is Firefox's.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you should report this as a bug. Whilst it may not be strictly a bug in that webhelp is meant to work from a server, it will get it investigated.

I will test again as soon as I can and submit my own report if I find the same.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp