• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics in multiple projects in RoboHelp 8 are getting crossed over

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple projects I imported/upgraded into RoboHelp 8.  Initially when in each project, all topics are correct.  But after importing second and subsequent projects, when I go back to the first project, it shows the topics from the last project??  What's going on?  I've tried searching to see if this has happened to others, but do not see anything of the like... Any help would be appreciated...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Hi all

Perhaps it will help if we take a moment to understand a bit of the evolution of RoboHelp.

Pull your chairs a bit closer and I'll tell you a story. In earlier years RoboHelp projects were managed by the .MPJ file. Because the MPJ file kept track of all project aspects, it was possible to store as many different projects as you like in the same main folder. This was nice from the aspect of sharing content. You could set things up so that you had common topics and images across multiple proje

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see Before You Post. You haven't indicated whether you are using RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML. Neither have you posted in a category that would tell us that so we are a bit stumped.

I haven't seen this problem with either but at least it will help us consider options.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening in RoboHelp 8 HTML... The projects I am importing/upgrading are from RoboHelp HTML X3... Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's check the workflow first.

You upgrade a project from X3 to RH8. The topic list shows the correct topics.

You import another project, same result.

Open the first one and it is showing the second projects topics.

There is no source control involved.

All projects are on your hard disk.

I cannot think of anyway that could happen. Did you keep backups of the projects before you upgraded?

Make copies of those backups and upgrade them again. Same result?

If so, using these copies, first generate an output. Wrong content?

Next delete the CPD files and reopen the projects. Do they show the right result?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow you wrote is exactly what I'm doing and what is happening... I have all projects on my local drive (all projects are in the same folder; does that matter?), no source control involved...

I made backups prior to importing/upgrading, and when I make copies of the backups and try again, I get the same results...  I've tried importing the projects in a different order, and that doesn't matter as still get same results (always shows the last imported project's topics when I go back into the first projects)... I've tried importing and then generating output right away to see if that makes a difference and it doesn't...

I tried generating output again when opening the first projects (while it shows the incorrect topics)... when I do that, I noticed it compiles all the wrong topics, plus it lists this error for each of the topics that should have been in the project:  The HTML tag "?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)...

I also just noticed when opening the first (or second, etc.) project, the topics for that project are all listed as Broken Links... so it shows the last project's topics under the Project Files and the correct topics that should be there as Broken Links... I can resolve the broken links so the topics show under the Project Files, but they are all mixed in with the last imported project's topics...

I tried deleting the CDP files as you suggested too and going back in, and that still didn't resolve the issue... Any other ideas?  Should I separate out the projects into separate folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about importing. All you should be doing is opening each project from X5 in RH8. You open RH8 and browse to the XPJ for each project and RH upgrades it.

Maybe that is what you are doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a bad word choice on my part... Yes, I'm opening the files in the new version, not importing... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on, I just picked up on "all projects are in the same folder". Please tell me you don't have a whole bunch of CPD and XPJ files in one folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three .CDP files in the folder, each with a different name... and the same for the .XPJ files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you telling me this actually worked in X3, one folder with three projects in it?

You have one unholy mess to sort out I am sorry to say. Projects must always be in there own folder.

What you are going to have to do is create three new projects. Start with project A and this time you do import, just the topics that belong to project A. Then open the new project B and import those topics. Finally project C.

Are you really sure that is what you had with X3? I am really amazed it worked but not a bit surprised the upgrade threw a wobbly.

Good luck with this one. Do let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Perhaps it will help if we take a moment to understand a bit of the evolution of RoboHelp.

Pull your chairs a bit closer and I'll tell you a story. In earlier years RoboHelp projects were managed by the .MPJ file. Because the MPJ file kept track of all project aspects, it was possible to store as many different projects as you like in the same main folder. This was nice from the aspect of sharing content. You could set things up so that you had common topics and images across multiple projects. If any of them changed, you changed them in any project and they changed for ALL projects using them. Of course this meant you had to recompile or re-generate each project if they changed, but the change actually only occurred once.

Now along comes X5 with a new file structure. XML format. This meant some changes. Unfortunately some changes that effectively blew this manner of working totally out of the water. You may wonder why. Well, it's because while each project is mostly unique, some of the underlying files are rather generically named. For example, you have the ProjectName.XPJ, which is specific to each project, but that XPJ references generic files with APJ (Anaheim ProJect) file extensions. Files such as rhskins.apj, rjsnippet.apj and so on.

My guess as to what has happened here is that with only one instance of these files able to be in a single folder, whoever saved last wins.

What you have ahead of you is the following task.

1. You need to split the projects into separate folders so that each project is in its own folder.
  2. THEN you upgrade each project.

You should probably begin by restoring from the backup you made prior to attempting the upgrade.

You, ummm, DID make one, didn't you?

Cheers all... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you live and learn.

You are advocating going back to X3, splitting and then upgrading.

Could it not be done the way I suggested albeit there would be some common topics that would get imported more than once?

I am thinking that would save the hassle of uninstalling RH8, reinstalling X3, and so on.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to how this has not cropped up on the forum before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya

No, not saying to return to X3 at all. Well, not as long as you know what topics are part of each project.

Sure, X3 may need to be used in order to figure out what needs to be included in each project.

Hmmm, it may be simpler to use the "Shotgun approach". Basically you could maybe gain some efficiency by using this approach.

1. Restore from the backup.
  2. Make multiple copies of the folder
  3. Delete the obvious files from each of the copies. For example, MPJ, HHP, HHK and others unique to the projects that shouldn't be in the folder.
  4. Upgrade each project in each new folder.
  5. After upgrading, run the unused files report to determine which topics and images may be deleted.

Perhaps that will be a simpler approach than the other way around.

Cheers all... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Probably hasn't cropped up because precious few realized it was possible. Those that did probably discovered it by pure serendipity.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and will not now regard it as a happy discovery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help... I've split out my projects into separate folders and now everything works right when upgraded!  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp