Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create or open a project in Robohelp HTML 8

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just installed RoboHelp HTML 8.0.0.203 trial on Windows XP (SP3). It's the first RoboHelp

version I've installed on this computer.

No error occured during installation the program starts normally.

1. When I try to create a new empty project the program only creates the folder with

following files and folders:

!SkinSubFolder!
Adobe AIR.ssl
default.css
FlashHelp Pro.ssl
FlashHelp.ssl
Microsoft HTML Help.ssl
testproject.cpd
testproject.glo
testproject.hpr
testproject.ppf
testproject.syn
WebHelp Pro.ssl
WebHelp.ssl

At the moment when the new project file should open nothing happens not even an error

message.

2. When I try to open the sample project file CCC.xpj an error prompt tells me that the

opening of the project was aborted or CCC.cpd couldn't be loaded.

3. When I try to import a PDF (File>New>Project>Import>PDF) an "unexpected error" occures

during conversion.

I already reinstalled RoboHelp and I have administrator rights, but still the same problem.

P.S. I had the same problem on another system with the Robohelp 7 trial some months ago.
But RoboHelp X5 works fine on a third system, I consider an upgrade if the problem can be solved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to recall from some tests I did once that those are classic signs of not having admin rights.

Is this a standalone PC at home or an office machine on a network? If the latter the first thing is to get IT to check you admin settings.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the response. The computer with Robohelp 7 was my standalone home PC and the computer where I tried Robohelp 8 today is an office machine on a network. I am sure that I have admin right at home and it is exactly the same issue. But I will check that out again on Monday. My guess is a conflict with another software because in both cases the windows installation is quite old and there are many programs installed. But I have no idea what I have to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if a firewall could be messing up the install. It doesn't usually happen and it is just a guess. Anyone else got any ideas here?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tested to install RoboHelp 8 on my machine at home where the RoboHelp 7 trial didn’t work. At first with Comodo Firewall Pro enabled and it blocked the two attempts of Windows Installer to access the internet. ->Creating a project still doesn’t work.

Then I uninstalled Robohelp 8 and disabled the firewall. Installed Robohelp 8 again and tried to create a project but it still doesn’t work.

Also I installed Robohelp 8 on different machines at home (XP, Vista Business, 7 Professional) all running with Zonalarm Firewall and it worked.

But installing a new OS is no option for the company especially when everything else works fine.

Before I opened this thread I googled some time for this problem but couldn’t find anything. This is weird because I’ve installed it on two systems which have noting in common besides both run XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2009 Sep 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it will install on any machine with Zone Alarm but not any machine with Comodo, regardless of operating system, regardless of whether Comodo is active or not.

To me that says Comodo is still controlling something. If not, I would ignore the OS and focus on the fact that something else is likely to be common to the Comodo machines. Maybe those machines also have a different virus checker that is interfering, something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My user account definitely has admin rights.

Comodo is not installed in the company. There is another virus checker/firewall which I disabled for reinstallation of RoboHelp. Before I reinstalled it I cleared the registry from all rests.

But RoboHelp is still not working.

Is there a log file or report file where I could find more information about what RoboHelp is doing during my attempt to create a project? (I already searched but haven’t found one.)

Btw I always install on drive D:\ and not on C:\ but this shouldn’t be the problem I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the program to your D Drive could well be the problem, and I am assuming that is a partition on your hard disk rather than a network drive. You will need to check with Technical Support on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes D:\ is a partition on my hard disk and installing it on C:\ didn't solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry but beyond the ideas I have already put forward, I don't know why you are having this problem.

You might want to try http://www.revouninstaller.com to ensure previous attempts are being uninstalled completely but do read the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp