30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 9:12 AM by Charles Yeh

Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors

jb510-LJ0JJQ

I need to know if it's just me, or others are seeing this.

Color management doesn't seem to work properly on dual monitors (MBP + Dell 2408) with Photoshop 11/CS4 and 10.6.

Each of my monitors is independently calibrated and all other apps work fine.  For reference Lightroom 2.4/Preview 5.0/FireFox 3.5.2 all render properly across both monitors.  Under 10.5 Preview 4.X did not render properly across two monitors, I was so happy in 10.6 it finally did, but PS is WAY more important so I'm kinda bummed.

Anyway, this seems to only happen on the 2nd monitor.  If I move the menu bar (Prefs/Displays/Arrangement) to the external monitor making it primary monitor then it works for that monitor, but no longer for the laptop display.  Photoshop render images on the 2nd monitor way washed out, but normally on the primary.

Photoshop 11.0.1 worked fine for me on dual monitors under 10.5.

• 1. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
          [scott] Level 6

10.6 hasn't been officially released. How do you know it's not just a bug in the pirated version you are using?

• 2. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
            jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

>How do you know it's not just a bug in the pirated version you are using?

Well, Mr. Helpful, people like you are why I nomrally avoid the U2U forums...  I don't know, perhaps to find out I'd ask a question like "I need to know if it's just me, or others are seeing this" in a forum like this before I reported the bug through offical channels.

Further, Mr. Presumptious, the developer preview of SL was handed out 3 months ago at WWDC and the embargo on discussing SL has been lifted.

Finally, since John Nack recently posted to his blog regarding compatabily of SL and PS on his blog 2 days ago it seems an appropriate time to start discussing out initial observations of 10.6 Final and 11.0.1.

So once again, I ask...  Anyone else seeing this?

• 3. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
              [scott] Level 6

you know... all you had to post was that you were a developer and have had the seed for a while.

You apparently read my post with your attitude.

• 4. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Sorry if I was an ***...  but you know...  all you had to do was ignore a thread which you had nothing to contribute to...  now you're just giving me an excuse to bump my thread in hopes someone confirms or refutes my issue.

I don't know what the problem with PS/SL is.  I don't know if it's just me or widespread.  No idea.  Just that it's not working right for me, and hence why I'm asking. My wild *** guess however is that Adobe re-wrote some code to get around problems with dual monitor color management in 10.5 (they write around many OS bugs that Apple is slow to fix) and now Apple fixed or changed the way 10.6 handles color management under 10.6.   So now both the OS and PS are trying to manage the color on the 2nd monitor.   I've seen glitchy behavior in 10.6 regarding the display's preference panel setting monitor profiles as well (sometimes they don't apply), but as I said LR 2.4/FF 3.5/Preview 5.0 all work properly across two monitors, it's just PS 11.0.1 that seems to have the issue and before I deleve into the mess that is PS preferences to see if it's a setting that didn't carry over through the upgrade process, I thought I'd ask here...

• 5. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                  [scott] Level 6

Well, like many, I won't be able to even see if there's an issue until 10.6 arrives on Friday.

I am curious about this (run 3 monitors here) though.

• 6. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                    jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Ok, so I thought maybe pictures might help show (proove) what's going on all I did was drag the two floating windows from monitor to monitor and then screen capture them:

1st Photoshop 11 vs Preview under 10.6 on Primary Monitor (both render the same using the proper icc monitor color calibration profile):
                    1st-Monitor-PS-vs-Prview.jpg

2nd Photoshop 11 vs Preview under 10.6 on Secondary Monitor, Photoshop way off.  As I've pointed out before the irony is this behavior was opposite under 10.5 where Preview app wasn't color managed properly on the 2nd monitor and displayed way over saturated.

2nd-Monitor-PS-vs-Preview.jpg

• 7. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                      Level 7

Which tells us that MacOS 10.6 is returning the incorrect profile for the second display.

We'll have to test that and file a bug with Apple.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                        Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not sure if it's related, but here is a link to a dual monitor issue on Apple forum http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2131877&tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                          jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Thanks Ian.  Sounds like a different problem though...  not that I haven't seen buggy dual monitor issues like that myself (most were fixed in 10.5.7 IIRC), or putting the machine momentarily to sleep would reset it.  Under 10.6 my external monitor has gone into power saving or lost connection a couple times, but I think that actually was a lose cable issue...  still watching for it to happen again.

• 10. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I can't recall the details, there is a colour management issue when using dual monitors which can be corrected by switching off OpenGL support in Ps preferences (Performance panel).

The following thread on Camera Raw forum discusses the issue http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311761?start=50&tstart=0

• 11. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                              [scott] Level 6

Okay.. I'm seeing it here at the OS level. Nothing related to PS.

I run 3 monitors, 2-24" Dell Ultrasharps and 1 30" Apple Cinema.

For the life of me I can not get the Ultrasharps calibrated correctly with OS10.6.

Good thing I'm not relying on 10.6 to actually work in. Boot the same system to 10.5.8 and the ultrasharps are fine.

• 12. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

@ Ian - Thanks for the link.   I tried disabling "Color Matching" under Preferences/Performance/Advanced Settings and the color looks better until I compare it with Preview, and then it still looks SLIGHTLY off.  Not as dramtic as before, but still not right.  My guess is no color profile is being applied.  It's odd but turning off OpenGL entirely doesn't seem to change it (maybe it requires relaunching photoshop).

Anyway, I did a little more testing.  IF I apply my primary panel's profile to my second monitor THEN the image in Preview and Photoshop looks the same (wrong, but the same).  It does seem PS is picking up the primary monitors calibration and applying it to the window displayed on the secondary monitor.

@ Scott - It think it's just my eyes but everything seems slightly desaturated under 10.6...  I too had a little trouble calibrating my Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp as well.  Not sure if it was because it's new and still breaking in or what, but I have read that the older calibrators (Spyder2 in my case) don't work as well on wide gamut displays.  I'm not sure if that was marketing hype from Colorvision just trying to sell new calibrators, or if it's really an issue.  Regardless, I'm still not getting the shadow detail I'd hoped for out of the Dell. I think it's because the Dell 2408 is so freaking bright and I might try running the calibration at different brightness levels.  Color is great, it's just the first couple swatches of black on a calibration chart that seem muddy.

• 13. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                  [scott] Level 6

I have an older Spyder2Pro that won't calibrate multiple monitors. So I generally calibrate the primary monitor with it, then eyeball the Dells.

Well either my eyes have gone or 10.6 makes eyeballing the Dells pretty difficult. I've ordered an Eye-One Display to replace the Spyder2. I'll use that when it comes in. But I agree, the Dells are very bright causing most the trouble.

• 14. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                    jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

ScottWeichert wrote:

I have an older Spyder2Pro that won't calibrate multiple monitors. So I generally calibrate the primary monitor with it, then eyeball the Dells.

Well either my eyes have gone or 10.6 makes eyeballing the Dells pretty difficult. I've ordered an Eye-One Display to replace the Spyder2. I'll use that when it comes in. But I agree, the Dells are very bright causing most the trouble.

Nooooo...  don't do that.  You can calibrate all your monitors with the Spyder2.

The Spyder software will only calibrate your primary monitor and then creates a profile named Spyder2XXX.  The trick is to change your primary monitor (in the Display's Pref pane drag the menu bar to a different monitor), then calibrarte it.  After calibrating rename the Spyder2XXX profile it created to something else.  In the Display Prefrence pane select the newly renamed profile for that monitor.  Drag the menu bar to another monitor and repeat...

• 15. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                      jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Well 10.6.1 didn't fix the color managment bug I'm seeing on my second monitor.  Photoshop still renders incorrecting on monitor 2 even though all my other apps render correctly...

I think I found roughly where the bug is though...  down under advanced controls "Desaturate Monitor Colors By:" was unchecked and set to 20%.  Setting the desaturation amount to 0% and checking the box gets the color to seemingly display correctly.  Perhaps turning this on is over riding something happening at the OS level?

• 16. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                        Charles Yeh Level 1

Hello all, I decided to chime in because I have the same issue with a nearly identical setup.

MacBook 5.1 (aluminum unibody mid-2008) running Snow Leopard

Secondary Display is Dell 2405FPW

Colorimeter is a Spyder3 Pro

The interesting thing is that Lightroom is fine (no shift between two displays), Safari is fine (no shift), but Photoshop does that weird, "drag to secondary display and release left mouse button and voila" the image will perform an immediate color shift right before your eyes. Of course as you've stated, when you drag it back onto your primary display you'll see the reverse happen as far as color profiles being used but once again you'll see this color shift.

At first I thought it was normal, but now I think it's kind of odd because the PS colors are washed out.

What I do find interesting is that Lightroom is an Adobe product and yet does not exhibit the color shift issue.

I have googled this issue and I'm not sure if it's a 10.6 issue or something else because here's a link where someone has the same issue (similar) and this happened well before anyone got their hands on 10.6:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552977

Hopefully someone can chime in... it's not a color profiles issue with Photoshop because I have it set to Prophoto RGB just like the Lightroom default (since you actually can't change it in Lr).

Charles

• 17. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                          jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Charles - Did you try what I explained in my last post?  I'd like to know if this workaround works for other people.  Go to color settings, set desaturation to 0%, see what happens on monitor two.

• 18. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                            Charles Yeh Level 1

Hmmm, not for me. I tried that and I still got the odd desaturation from one monitor to the second display... I think it's more than just desaturation though, there might be a slight brightness factor as well.

I wish I had a benchmark, like a time when I wasn't using 10.6 or when I wasn't running dual displays or when I wasn't color calibrated with the Spyder3 Pro... but all of this happened relatively within a short time frame so I can't tell you what it was like "before"... I do suspect that the fact we have similar setups has something to do with it.

PS. I also tried all the various color profiles in PS and none of them are the right match.

• 19. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                              Charles Yeh Level 1

It occurred to me, "what if Photoshop is getting it right and all the other programs are getting it wrong". That we're mistakenly blaming PS for shifting colors when it is supposed to be shifting colors?

So I went to the printer (Costco) after downloading their ICC profile for their printer, and testing a few prints. From what I can tell, it looks more like what I see in Lightroom on my secondary display than what I see in Photoshop on my secondary display.

However, I stumbled across a thread that suggests that we're wrong in assuming PS is wrong and that Lightroom, Aperture, Firefox, Safari instead are problematic and can't truly support dual displays with different color profiles. In a nutshell they propose that the monitor on which these programs start, whether it be the MacBook display or the secondary display, is the color profile that program assumes and uses. Only PS understands and uses the proper color profile depending on which display it uses.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1394928&start=60&tstart=0 (read last post of last page)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24201?viewlocale=en_US

http://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2008/Aug/msg00006.html

But if that's the case then why do my prints look so much more like the Lightroom image (regardless of which display) than the Photoshop image on the secondary display?

• 20. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                Charles Yeh Level 1

Here's more:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00PZtm

Looks like this issue has existed for years... and we're wrong. Photoshop is doing the right thing by shifting to use the secondary display's color profile whereas the other programs don't do that.

• 21. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                  Charles Yeh Level 1

So if you've read the links above regarding the "default monitor" issue, people have suggested that a potential workaround is to go to System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement>drag the menu bar from the first diplay to the second

Essentially you make your secondary monitor the default display.

For me what this does to PS is that it now displays the matching colors to Lr in the secondary display (which is now the default display with the menu bar at the top), BUT! when I drag the PS window back into my MacBook display it appears OVERLY saturated...

Strangely Lr appears the same in both windows, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY with the same colors, saturation, brightness, just as it did before I made my Dell 2405FPW the default display. Basically, Lr hasn't shifted in color from display to display or even from display to display after making the secondary monitor my new default display. It has retained the same integrity of colors through all these changes.

Which begs the question, if Lr can't handle dual displays and always uses the color profile of the display it begins in (starts running in), then why does it never shift in color and still look exactly the same after I've made my Dell 2405FPW my primary display?

And actually, if you look really really carefully, Lr DOES produce a color shift between displays as you drag it from one screen to the next. It's extremely fast and happens pretty much as you get 0.5 to 1 inch of the window into the secondary display. It's subtle on my monitor too, which leads me to believe that it performs this color correction properly, quickly, and seamlessly.

What if, my Photoshop 10.0 (old version of CS3) is not registering and understanding the secondary display's color profile correctly? What if it really is PS's fault because everything else looks right? Maybe the issue I'm having is different from what others are experiencing, after all we're in 10.6 now and most of these issues were reported in 10.4 and 10.5? I should probably upgrade my PS CS3 and see what happens?

jb, what version of PS do you have?

• 22. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                    jb510-LJ0JJQ Level 1

Charles - I answered this question myself.  There is a bug in the Edit->Color Settings->Advacned Controls->Desaturate Monitor Colors toggle.

Again... setting the desaturation to 0% and ON fixes ALL my color mismatch problems between monitors and between color managed applications.

FWIW, I've not seen any problem with any other CS4 application having tested Illustrator & Bridge.  LR is somewhat irrelavent since it's a compeltely seperate code base I wouldn't expect the same issues to affect it, but as I think I said before color manement is working flawlessly for me in LR.

It sounds like you've messed up your color management settings.  Reset to defaults (North American General Purpose), try the workaround above.  If that doesn't work, start a thread an maybe someone can help you.  Proofing works fine for me on both monitors, but you might check that proofing isn't turned on sometimes I mistakenly leave it on.

• 23. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                      Charles Yeh Level 1

This will probably be my last post as I have figured out just like most others that Photoshop is the only program that really accounts for 2 (dual) monitors. Lightroom, Safari, etc. do not.

You can experience this for yourself if you set your MacBook dispaly's color profile with the profile of your secondary display (assuming it's calibrated). Yes, it will look horrendous on your Macbok, but when you then load pictures onto your secondary displays, it will look correct because most programs will assume the color profile on the MacBook which is the design flaw/bug at hand.

Many have experienced this. I'm just one of many down the line. Photoshop is correct, Lightroom and other programs are wrong.

• 24. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                        Bernard D

Sorry Charles, but I really don't see what you see.

I'm using PS CS3 but that should be similar to CS4 with OpenGL turned off (which Adobe acknowledged has a bug wrt color profiling).

So, I have a MBP unibody display, and a Dell 2407WFP-HC as a secondary display.

Under Leopard,

- PS is OK, meaning that it adjusts the colors correctly when moving an image from the MBP to the Dell and vice-versa.

- Lightroom 2.5 is also OK.

- The native Preview app on the other hand picks up the profile of the main display when it is started, and keeps it.

Under Snow Leopard

- PS is OFF on the secondary display. It picks up the main display profile on startup and keeps it.

- Lightroom 2.5 is OK.

- Native Preview app is now OK.

So, to me it does look like Photoshop has a problem with Snow Leopard whereas Lightroom is fine.

Notes:

Both displays are profiled under Leopard with ColorEyes Display Pro. ColorEyes Display Pro isn't supported under SL yet. I've tried creating profiles with it and it gives horrible results. So I go back to Leopard to generate profiles. I'm using gamma 2.2 for everything (who's using 1.8 anyway these days?).

Changing the PS display engine to Apple CMM (ColorSync) doesn't make a big difference, except that the image now looks identical with what Preview shows on the main display. That's as expected.

Switching the color profile of the displays (using Preferences -> Displays) doesn't affect which profile is picked up by Photoshop in SL. It is really the profile that is set when PS is started that gets picked up.

• 25. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                          Charles Yeh Level 1

Hi Bernard,

So no matter what profile you create with ColorEyes it doesn't come display correctly on neither your MB nor your Dell?

Interestingly I am using an older version of Spyder3 Pro's software calibration software and it works fine. I guess it's hard to compare results when you don't have a color accurate profile for SL that works.

My profiles work in Leopard and SL. As I mentioned above, I don't have a reference point with Leopard because I barely used the dual display under Leopard before I upgraded to SL. To be honest, it seemed different before with Leopard, fine in fact... and didn't seem to be a problem until SL came out.

For me however, the only time I can get all programs and profiles to match up is when I load the Dell color accurate profile as the Macbook's color profile.  Then everything, Lightroom, PS, Safari, Preview all show the identical color. With any other setup/combination, there are differences between the two...

Dunno if that helps.

I find it odd that SL has to "support" the color eyes profile? A profile is a profile isn't it? What's there to support? Unless something has changed in the way SL renders profiles?

• 26. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                            Bernard D Level 1

Charles Yeh wrote:

I find it odd that SL has to "support" the color eyes profile? A profile is a profile isn't it? What's there to support? Unless something has changed in the way SL renders profiles?

Oh no, the profiles I created in Leopard work well under Snow Leopard. A profile is a profile as you say.

By "not supported" they mean that the profiling software doesn't work in Snow Leopard. It actually starts up and does its stuff with the puck but the created profiles are horribly off. The team behind ColorEyes says that there are many listed color related bugs in Snow Leopard. Adobe is probably in the same boat. Things have changed under their feet. It's still Adobe's responsibility to chase the problem up though.

• 27. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                              Charles Yeh Level 1

Bernard, I have a little test for you to try... I think this will match up all color profiles on your displays.

1) Assign the proper color profiles generated by your colorimeter to each display

2) Start Photoshop/Lr/Preview while your MacBook LCD is your primary display - colors should be identical across all 3 programs.

3) Drag the Photoshop/Lr/Preview program windows over to the secondary display. Maximize the windows to take up the entire Dell 2407FPW display.

4) Shut down Photoshop/Lr/Preview while the programs are maximized on the Dell 2407FPW display (basically with no part on the MacBook LCD)

5) Go to System Preferences>Displays>Arrangements and drag the menu bar to the secondary display

6) Restart Photoshop/Lr/Preview and each program should be again identical, this time on the Dell 2407FPW.

-There are 2 critical pieces of the puzzle in the instruction set above. Closing and opening the windows in the secondary display AND making your Dell 2407 the default display (menu bar on the top).

-Dragging Preview/Lr back to the MacBook will make the colors on Preview/Lr wrong because they have opened with the Dell 2407 color profile and will NOT grab the MacBook color profile upon being dragged over to the MacBook LCD

-Dragging Photoshop back is okay because Photoshop is the only program that can manage independent color profiles for dual displays

Let me know what happens when you do this!

• 29. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                                Bernard D Level 1

Charles Yeh wrote:

-Dragging Preview/Lr back to the MacBook will make the colors on Preview/Lr wrong because they have opened with the Dell 2407 color profile and will NOT grab the MacBook color profile upon being dragged over to the MacBook LCD

-Dragging Photoshop back is okay because Photoshop is the only program that can manage independent color profiles for dual displays

Let me know what happens when you do this!

I did follow your steps carefully but I just don't see the same thing you do.

Basically, Lightroom and Preview are fine when moving from display to display but Photoshop CS3 isn't. PS looks good on the Dell (which is now the primary display) but it is overly saturated on the MacBook Pro. I first thought that this could be a difference between Photoshop CS3 and CS4 but you say that Lightroom and Preview do not adjust going to the secondary display in Snow Leopard. They do on mine. The only app that doesn't adjust is Photoshop.

Photoshop CS3

Lightroom 2.5

Mac OS 10.6.1

• 30. Re: Bug - Color Management Photoshop 11 and OS X 10.6 Dual Monitors
                                                                  Charles Yeh Level 1

Hi Bernard,

As if it weren't bad enough that an issue exists, doesn't it make you want to pull your hair out when the issue is different for others?

I found this on the sidebar while reading your post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1202330#1202330

While Lr and Preview seemingly don't "adjust" when pulled across screens, I will say that it does seem to change sometimes and very quickly in color. I'm not sure if it's trying to adjust and failing, or actually changing color profiles and failing (or if it's even a color profile change???). It's only noticeable at the immediate transition between the two displays. If you're not watching, it'll escape your eyes.

The problem however is that the final state, regardless of whether or not it has changed in color (profile) is a mismatched situation across applications PS/Lr/Preview/etc. That's the true issue here even though you and I have different accounts of which programs are "correct". It is something Adobe needs to look into.

I will say that at least with my "solution" I am getting prints that are the equivalent of what I am seeing on the secondary display. I use the color profile that was created by Dry Creek for my local Coscto to do soft proofing. So for what it's worth, at least I have a workaround which is really all I can hope for at this point since this issue has seemingly existed since Panther even!

I appreciate your feedback Bernard because it forced me to look into the situation even more and at least create a theory (for my own computer) under which I could repeat/predict the color results. Although your situation might differ, hopefully you will also find something that works temporarily until the big boys get their act together!

Charles