• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want Next/Back links between topics. Are there good examples how to do this?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have multiple books in which I want to have Next/Back buttons. The Help PDF offered by Adobe does not adequately describe how to do this. Does anyone have a good example/description of how I do this?

Walt Mahan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Hi there

Those are images that are missing. You need to locate and copy the appropriate images. You should be able to determine what their file names are by examining the source of the files. Once you sort that, just copy the images in too.

Or, if you will be repeatedly dealing with this, copy the images to the Baggage Files list so they are automagickally populated.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you asking for a home grown setup or are you wanting to implement Browse Sequences?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will use Browse Sequences if I understand how. The examples in the RoboHelp pdf do not seem to be relevant. I simply want to link each major topic with Next/Back links in each separate book (I have 2 books now but will have 5-6 in the future).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

You might wish to review the Before you post topic. I say that not to criticize or belittle, but only to illustrate that it would appear I have to ask more questions and all the back and forth takes time and further delays the answer.

What is your output? What are you using? (RoboHelp exists as two separate products) How do you want that output to appear? Do you want it as links inside the topic content or can it appear otherwise. What is possible to accomplish depends a bit on the answers to those questions.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to access a thread (467760) that you referenced. I am generating WebHelp. I want the navigation buttons within my topics. Whether the links are Next and Back, or < and > is not that important. I just want the user to be able to quickly browse between adjacent topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

To access the link I listed, you just click it in your web browser.

There are a few different ways you can do this. You can insert the text as you wish to see it, then manually create the links. Ick! That's not very much fun.

If you are using RoboHelp 8  you could create a Master Page and insert a Breadcrumb Trails placeholder, then apply the Master Page across the topics.

For any version of RoboHelp you could achieve this by creating a Browse Sequence (Tools > Browse Sequence Editor) and generate WebHelp twice. The first pass to folder A and the second pass to folder B. During the first pass, you use the "Traditional - No skin" output. This would produce topics with code in them that contains the Previous and Next links. Then the second pass would be generated with a skin. You would then copy the topics from folder A and overwrite the topics in folder B to obtain the best of both worlds.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did not know about traditional skin. How do I control where the output (WebHelp) is generated to? Also, it looks like 508 compliant will not generate navigation. Is this true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right clicking in the Single Source Layout for Properties allows you to

set the location. I forget what the 508 field does for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took your suggestion using Folder A & Folder B and overwrote as you suggested. When I opened the Help file, the icons were missing for << and >> so the following was on my screens:

Next and Prev.jpg

Can these be resolved or did I do something wrong? Walt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Those are images that are missing. You need to locate and copy the appropriate images. You should be able to determine what their file names are by examining the source of the files. Once you sort that, just copy the images in too.

Or, if you will be repeatedly dealing with this, copy the images to the Baggage Files list so they are automagickally populated.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp