Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2.5 strange lines on highlights...

Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, LR has just updated itself at the last version, 2.5.

I immediately noticed this strange thing (see attached images) on the library module preview, but I felt reassured when I switched to develop module and the lines disappeared.

I exported the raw images and, once opened in photoshop, I saw again the lines!

Anyone has already noticed something like this in the new version?

I'm on a mac with Leopard.

Now I have to finish my job using camera raw (not the 5.5 yet, fortunately)... I hope, if this is a bug, they could fix it soon. Meanwhile I accept suggestion on how to turn back to 2.4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this just be showing the clipped highlights? Go to Develop, show the Histogram, and see if a square shows up it upper right of the Histogram. If it does, click on it, and the lines will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, Mary also says that she sees the lines when the final exported images are brought into PS. That suggests to me that it is not merely a highlight warning issue. The highlight warnings should not be applied to the exported images.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've had a similar problem with Raw images from my Leica D-Lux 3. I'm getting a purple fringe around highlights as soon as I make the slightest adjustment in ACR 5.5. This is not a highlight clipping warning nor any kind of fringing that can be defringed using the fringing correction in Chromatic Aberration in ACR. No problems with NEF files from my Nikon.

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.5.8 on a G5 tower.

I also tried converting the RAW files to DNG files with and without the original file embedded, but the DNG opens in ACR5.5 with the same problem.

My work around was to swap out the ACR5.5 plug in with the ACR5.4 plug in, but this doesn't seem like a workable solution in the long term (i.e. what happens when I get a camera that isn't included in ACR5.4. The fringe disappeared when I opened any D-Lux 3 RAW   image again in ACR5.4.

I also had the same problem when using the stand alone version of DNG Converter. Version DNG conv  5.5.0.97 acted the same way,  DNG conv version 5.4.0.57 eliminated the problem.

I'm hoping that this problem will be corrected in future updates of ACR. What would, of course, make it all better would be for camera manufacturer's to use  DNG format rather than the multitude of proprietary formats.

I'm attaching two jpg images that I converted from PSDs showing the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The public beta of LR 2.6 should fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded and installed LR v2.6 Release Candidate and DNG Converter v5.6 onto MacBook, Power Mac G5 and PowerBook G4 systems. I tested the same files (the ones that had problems with v2.5/v5.5 with PowerPC systems) on all three. All the artifacts are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artifacts appeared using ACR 5.5 on my G5 with a Leica D-Lux 3. The new beta release of ACR 5.6 has eliminated any artifacts. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. This will make life much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2009 Nov 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on my Sony A700 raw files and lines are completely gone!

Many thanks to the forum and to Adobe developers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marty, it was the first thing that I checked... unfortunately it doesn't concern clipping warning.

Plus, the lines remains on exported files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary, can you please post the raw file, so that I can examine it. You can use YouSendIt.com with a target email address of madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadManChan, I'll try to send the file to you... thanks for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another hint: I tryed also to work with the backup files, just in case the copy was somehow damaged...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera? Is it something with the changes for cameras with different greens response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhm... is the Sony Alpha 700 one of those camera?

Let's check...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From v2.5 release notes:

Olympus, Panasonic and Sony are among the more popular camera manufacturers affected by this change.

So, it might be related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good guess, but the unequal Bayer response issue is not relevant to this case.

Mary, I have tried to reproduce your issue here, with 2.5, but without success. I was able to view your example image, without artifacts, in both LR 2.5 and CR 5.5. Exported images also do not show artifacts.

Can you please try these steps:

• Open Camera Raw, go to Camera Raw Preferences, and clear the Cache. Close Camera Raw.

• Open your example image in CR and examine closely for artifacts. Close Camera Raw.

• Open LR and remove your example image from the catalog.

• Reimport the image into the catalog.

• Go to Develop module and hit the Reset button.

• View the image at 1:1 and check for artifacts.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Eric, I'm going to try this.

But... in case your solution will work, does it mean that I have to re-import all my images in my catalog? I think I'll faint...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done: in Camera Raw, as before, no artifacts... neither in the preview nor in the exported file; in LR the lines still remains, also in the develop module...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary, I assume you imported the exact same raw file into LR as the one that you opened successfully in Camera Raw?

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Eric...

Now I'm gonna try to completely delete one of my catalog (the one with less pictures) and import everything again, purging all the caches etc... let's see if this works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done also the full erasing and reimporting... nothing: lines just stay there.

Here is the point:

LR 2.5 update

Mac g5 with Leopard (up to date)

Sony Alpha .ARW raws

strange lines on the border of highlights (on LR previews and on relative exported files)

while:

jpegs of the same photos don't show any artifacts in LR

the same raw files can be developed flawlessly in camera raw 5.4

Hope that someone may find a solution.

I just wander because such problems always happen to me when I'm in a hurry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary, have you tried developing these raw files in Camera Raw 5.5? (you mentioned 5.4 in your previous post). CR 5.5 was also released today, for CS4.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines