• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to control width of Design pod in RH8?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is just a UI annoyance, but I'd like to get around it. I'm working in RH8.

When I'm in the Design/HTML pod, the ruler across the top of the pod extends beyond the right margin. Consequently, a scroll bar appears across the bottom of the pod.

When working in the pod, entering long lines of text causes the window to scroll left and right automatically, and I can't see the entire line of text I've entered.

Increasing/decreasing the width of the pod doesn't change this behavior - the ruler across the top scales with the pod size. Moving the right margin/tab marker doesn't help either.

Is there any way to control the pod width so I can see a full line of text w/out a scroll bar at the bottom? I'm guessing it's something easy - just haven't found it yet.

Thanks all,

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick.

This sounds like your right hand tab stop is just off the end of the ruler. Do you see grey tab stop at the right hand extent of your page? If so, click and drag to to your desired location (i.e. to the end of the white shaded area of your ruler) and you should end up with things as you want.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for the reply.

Moving the right hand tab stop gets text to wrap at the tab stop. But of course that introduces problems. The Design pod places inline styles for EVERY line: style="margin-right: 169px;" Ugly.

I was hoping for a RH-wide or at least project-wide setting that would allow me to set a default right margin AND avoid the mess of inline styles. The default environment (on my screen at least) gives a Design pod ruler w/ a right hand tab stop at 11 9/16". The pod itself is 10 3/4" wide.

11 9/16" seems a pretty arbitrary width - can't imagine it's a standard of any kind. If it was arbitrarily chosen by the developers, it would be nice to expose a control to end users for setting a default pod width and avoiding the inline styles. Really more for UI usability, not for formatting the document.

(yes, I know, I should just shut up, type away and worry about format in CSS later)

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'd like to offer a wee bit of clarificaition.

There is no such thing as a "Tab Stop" in the world of HTML. As such, there is no such thing as a "Tab Stop" in the RoboHelp HTML ruler. These are simply visual ways to adjust the margins on the HTML page.

I'd hate to see a rash of posts where folks are suddenly asking where they can insert tab stops in RoboHelp HTML.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A4 is a paper size and is the typical paper size used in business letters and documents in most countries except the US and Canada. (They'll catch up one day. )

11 9/16 is the depth of the A4 size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, seeing A4 quoted in inches is very odd. 🙂

The Ruler indeed relates just to the paragraph in focus and sets inline styling for the margin when you drag the sliders for a paragraph. However, they also reflect indenting defined in the stylesheet. So perhaps there is a width defined for the HTML or BODY tags in your stylesheet.

You can get the slider to go off the side of the page if the Zoom % is more than 100%, but that's the only thing in RH I can think of that affects it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if Regional settings has any impact.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I stumbled across the answer. I managed to fat-finger things and all of a sudden my topic text was tiny. But the scroll bar across the bottom was gone.

Turns out that all my topics open in Design view at 110% by default. Thus a scroll bar across the bottom displays.

Setting the zoom level to 100% cleared the scroll bar and allowed me to see the tab stop on the right margin as well as full lines of text w/out scrolling left to right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp