• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quizzing with Multiple Choice Questions

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am embedding a quiz within my presentation with individual question slides interspersed throughout different parts of the presentation. These questions are pulled from a couple of different question pools. I want to use a multiple choice question that branches to different parts of the presentation depending on the correct or incorrect answer. If the user answers the question incorrectly, I send them to the next slide which has two click boxes. On this slide, they can either click one box to move back in the presentation and review the material or click another box to move them forward to another multiple choice question. If they go back and review the information, they would eventually return to the same multiple choice question to try it again. (This is the desired navigation, anyway.)

What actually happens is that when the user goes back to review the information and then finally returns to the question, the question has not been reset and still shows the incorrect answer marked with no way to clear it.

I have used this same navigation on a drag-and-drop type question and it works fine. All the settings for the multiple-choice questions are set the same as in the drag-and-drop question.

Any help in making this work correctly would be greatly appreciated.
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of trying to force Captivate to perform to your wishes, you may have to accept the fact (yep, it is a fact) that this behavior is inherent to the product, and you will have to work within that limitation.

I try to maintain a linear navigation throughout. That is, I never go backward beyond a "scoring" event ... I maintain forward movement throughout the movie. If I want the user to be able to review an "incorrect" answer, I do it in such a way as to maintain that forward navigation.

This problem, if we define this behavior as such, is actually a designed behavior ... or at least that was the original explanation ... to prevent the user from negating the value of a one-question, one-answer format to the tutorial building process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a few weeks ago and am feeling very ripped off. There is very little flexibility -- hell I could have done same hack in Powerpoint or Camtasia and could do much better in Flash. I wish I would have spent the extra $ and just purchased Raptivity which actually does do branching decision-making simulations.

I think the worst thing about Captivate is that the lack of useful documentation. When will Adobe learn that when I seek "Help" on "Text box", I don't want to read "A text box is a box for putting text" but instead some detailed information on the capabilities and limitations and how-to's of manipulating such object.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'd erase this, but perhaps an Adobe support person might read and incorporate complaint into an improvement for next version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Candace

I'm surprised you feel ripped off. I mean, they give you 30 days to kick it, punch it and throw what you will at it to see if it does what you want it to. And you aren't crippled in any way. The application is fully functional.

I'm guessing you blindly purchased it without trying it to see if it did what you wanted?

WRT your comment about Adobe support seeing your vent and improving the product based on that. Don't count on it. Adobe has an official channel they monitor for feedback like yours. It's called the Wish Form.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2008 Dec 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I purchased a few weeks ago and am feeling very ripped off. There is very
> little flexibility -- hell I could have done same hack in Powerpoint or
> Camtasia and could do much better in Flash. I wish I would have spent the
> extra $ and just purchased Raptivity which actually does do branching
> decision-making simulations.

Ya know what? I don't see anything in your rant that cannot be achieved in
Captivate 3.

Steve

--
--
http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
European eLearning Summit - EeLS
Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
http://www.elearningsummit.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2008 Dec 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, Steve. The claims and theory and initial testing led me to believe I could do these things.

However, the file usually freezes (or at least that slide stops) when user chooses correct response. I have yet to get it to go through the entire 30 slides without it freezing regardless of browser or flash viewer version.
Adobe Support suggestion: "Recreate the problem slide(s)" Did that already dozens of times and in truth it does help a bit, but not a permanent solution as problem eventually returns.
The other Adobe Support suggestion: "Copy and paste all slides into new file" Yes, I can get the file to run further, but eventually a slide will freeze.

This all seems wrong given that I am not using any audio, have thus far only used 2 small images, and I have only 23 slides -- not enough that it should cause a file size or bandwidth problem. I have checked and double checked and experimented with a range of settings for individual quiz slides and the file, but problem persists. There must be something I am doing wrong in a setting though. What?

I have provided the entire file to Adobe Support, but clearly get the sense that it was not looked at or else not understood. During my first call, I was told it was doubtful that I would get a support person that had actually used Captivate. This contributes to my ripped-off feeling.

Any analysis or programming suggestions would be appreciated.

PS. I agree with trying to seek a linear flow and have removed all back buttons and anything extraneous that might interfere. However, I do want correct answers to go to a specific new slide while I want wrong answers to go to a different new slide. This is more branching forward though and not doubling back or repeating any slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources