Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp decompile problem

New Here ,
May 20, 2006 May 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings:

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I have a real problem. I inadvertently deleted some components of my original Robohelp data directory, so I followed the (excellent) instructions posted here regarding the use of the Keytools.exe pgm to decompile the chm file. This has worked for me in the past.

Today, however, I find that, although the decompile works fine, the next steps fail -

Open Robohelp HTML from the selection of pgms within Robohelp X5.
Select New Project
Click the Import tab
Select MS-HTML Help project; OK
Select the HHP file that keytools created; Open it.

when I attempt to open the Helpfile.hhp file, a msg appears -

'unable to create database - check that the directory is not read-only'

the file folder is indeed marked 'read-only', but every time I uncheck it, the change is 'ignored'.

I have never seen an instance in Windows XP where this happened before.
Needless to say, I can't successfully recreate my Robohelp data files, at this point.

Has anyone else seen this?

thanx for your help!

Robert Gross
Budgetext Inc.
Technical Documentation and Training

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2006 May 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this topic will help you?

Click here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2006 May 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter: Thanks for the excellent reference material - each method seems to successfully retrieve the data topics, but unfortunately I get the same error msg upon opening the HHP file:

'unable to create database - check that the directory is not read-only'

I have searched the forum, and one possible answer seemed to be, 'reinstall Robohelp', but I don't have access to the original install disks, so I really wanted to avoid that if possible.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I will continue looking for those install disks....

Robere 144

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you the user whose login was used to install RH? If not, do you have that username and password? If not then reinstallation will be a requirement although I cannot guarantee it will fixt the problem.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the original installer, using the only machine Robhelp has ever been installed on.
if there is some way around complete reinstallation, I am willing to try it. *s*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that you are working on your hard disk and not a network, I don't know why you are getting the message. I don't know that reinstalling will fix the problem, that was simply suggested as it often does fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
just fyi, as a follow up to my issue of the decompile problem ...

I was able to successfully download the 'trial version' of robohelp, and use keytools to decompile/recompile my original project, perfectly!

So, the answer appears to be, my original Robohelp pgm files are somehow corrupted.
Once those are repaired/reinstalled, everything should be fine.

regards,

Robere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp