• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink issues in Converted Project

Participant ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently upgraded to RoboHELP Version 8 to get a better results on the the full text search in WebHelp (the output of our choice). The conversion appeared to go great and I've been happily working away on new content.

As our developer is still changing screen names etc in the development cycle of a new product, I have been using variables for all screen names so that I only need to change the value in one place when they come up with yet another U-beaut name for the screen. Quite often I would also insert a hyperlink over the variable to another topic.

Unfortunately, when I had to revisit one of my existing topics I've found that any hyperlink that has been inserted on top of a variable in a table or drop-down seems to have been lost. This means that nearly 75% of my hyperlinking has gone west!

Has anyone else experienced problems in this area?  I did try searching to problems with Version 8 which brought to light a couple of other little issues that I'll keep an eye on but couldn't see any queries about variables and hyperlinks.

Regards from sunny Brisbane (Queensland, Australia).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy

Indeed sometimes working with variables can seem pesky!

My initial thought pattern upon reading your issue was that RoboHelp 8 supports formatted variables. This means that your variable may contain a hyperlink. w00t!! Then I had a big ole Homer Simpson style D'OH! moment and smacked myself on the forehead as it occurred to me that if you did that, it would certainly work and preserve the hyperlink but ALL instances of the variable would share the same link destination. And that's likely not the case, eh?

I just tested this action with my version 8 and found that RoboHelp HTML seemed to work fine to place a hyperlink over a variable. I closed the topic and reopened and it left things intact. I closed the project and reopened and it left things intact.

Naturally this causes questions to be begged:

• How exactly are you creating the links?
  • How exactly are you testing to see that the links are failing?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy,

What you say concerns me greatly because I have many places where I've put links on variables. I have RH8, but have not installed it yet; however, I was planning to install it in late October and start using it and now I'm very hesitant.

Captiv8r,

It sounds like your test was all done in RH8, but it sounds like Kathy's problem stems from the fact that she *imported* her RH7 project into RH8, and that's what has caused her variable/hyperlink problem ( ? ). I'm sure it works fine if you do all the creating in RH8, but what happens when you do the creating in RH7, then import into RH8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lakisha

Well I suppose I could perform a test for you. But before I do, I'd like to clarify some terminology.

You mention importing projects to version 8. Do you really mean importing? Or do you mean that you upgraded a project from 7 to 8?

With importing, you have a project already open in 8, then you click File > Import to bring additional HTML content in. With upgrading, you open the XPJ file and 8 does its thing.

Personally, I can't really see that as being an issue, but you never know. Maybe it is!

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, good question - I was using the wrong term.   What I meant to say is that it sounds like Kathy's project was an RH7 project, and then she upgraded it to RH8 and during that upgrade/conversion, something happened to her hyperlinked variables - at least that's the impression I get.

Before doing a test though, I guess we need to hear from Kathy - you know, let her confirm what the situation is, and answer the two questions you posed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2009 Sep 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Captiv8r and LaKisha1 for your response. Sorry I didn't respond earlier - time differences and all that!

Rick - I mean that I upgraded to Version 8 and then opened the project. At first it wasn't apparent that there was an issue - it was only after a week or more of solid development that I had to go back into a topic that I'd already completed.

Anyway, here's the answers to your two questions:

How did I create the links?

The method of inserted the hyperlinks went something like this:

1. Insert Variable

2. Highlight Variable and Insert a Hyperlink to the matching topic.

All instances of a variable do in fact link to to the same destination.

Any instances outside of tables and drop-downs have converted fine.  It's only those in tables and drop-downs.

How did I test it?

When I was looking at one of my drop-down field definitions, I notices that the standard that I use for screen names, i.e. Bold, had gone. Thinking that it was just one that I missed when I was creating it originally, I highlighted the variable and put Bold formatting on it. That's when I also noticed that it wasn't underlined. I had been on the forums earlier that day about a problem I was having with tables in my drop-downs (which turns out to compile OK it just looks wrong on the viewer), so I recompiled my WebHelp output to check on the hyperlink. They've definitely gone!

I don't have emoticons here but just imagine a smiley face here!  I always appreciate the good work you guys do!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2009 Sep 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've reported this issue as a bug after having to spend about 6 hours replacing the gizillion hyperlinks that I've lost (more than I first anticipated). Also, did a major design change and decided that I would no longer be as 'helpful' in my drop-down field definitions as I just don't have the time in this development cycle to replace them in the drop-downs. I hope to get back into them after the Beta delivery.

Thanks for listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp