9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2009 7:20 PM by John T Smith RSS

DVD archive to HD

moonplace Community Member

Since the HD capacity grows I am thinking of archive my DVD projects, made with premiere/encore (complete with menustructure etc.), on HD. This had to be done without any quality loss, and the possibility to use the archived projects for burning a DVD again when nesessary.

I am thinking about copying the DVD I have produced to an external HD (the DVD's can be copied, no cracking of security codes required).

I don't know if this has crossed someones mind before, but is there any trusted software to make an archive in HD, or do someone know a possibility to do this?

Thanks

Chris Nierop-The Netherlands

• 1. Re: DVD archive to HD
          the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Chris,

I do similar on a series of 2TB external HDD's. I just copy over the entire Project's folder structure to the external. Note that my Assets are always included in the Project's folder structure, so there is no problem there. Note: to work with these Projects again, I'd copy everything back to the internal HDD that they came from, so there are no problems with drive letters.

One could also use Save_As and point to the external. This creates a duplicate folder structure, but you'll probably have to manually copy over your Assets.

If this is not what you wish to do, please correct me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD archive to HD

Hi Hunt

As I understood the only thing you do is to copy the complete Encore file as it is build just before burning to a external disk and save this as archive.

That will work I think. What I had in mind is to copy the DVD disk after burning to an external Harddisk because of the discussion around the long term condition of a DVD disk and the low costs of external HD's

Thanks for replying

Chris.

• 3. Re: DVD archive to HD

Chris,

You could copy either the VIDEO_TS folder to the En Project folder structure, or perhaps an .ISO of the DVD. Either of these alternatives would allow you to burn another DVD easily later. If you think there might be a need to re-author, I'd keep copies of all the En Project too, as ripping from a Burned DVD (even if Burned to Folder), is not the most tidy of things. If you KNOW that you'll never need to do any re-authoring, then just the VIDEO_TS, or the .ISO file will suffice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD archive to HD

I will try to do the way you suggested,I thougt simply copy from disk to HD would not work (but stupid enough didn't try it).

Thanks

Chris

• 5. Re: DVD archive to HD

Hi Hunt

Just tried to do what you suggested, or I think I did.

But, (and I must say due to my less understanding the proces, maybe I understood you wrong).  How can you burn an "video TS" folder back to an disk.

I copied the "video TS" map from a disk to HD and this map contains several "video TS"and "VTS" files (films), containing" info DVD film", "back up bestand from IFO", and several DVD films.

I only can burn the separate films, and not the map "video TS" as total.

In that case the player will not play the burned disk. So I think there must be a way to completely burn the structure as was on the orginal DVD back on a new one. But thats what I don't know how to manege. If I understood you incorrectly maybe you can help a "dummy" in this field more specific.

I use NERO for burning in that case, but maybe that is nit the right software to use in this case.

Best regards

Chris

• 6. Re: DVD archive to HD

Once you have chosen Burn to Folder in En, you will have your VIDEO_TS folder, located where you direct En to write it.

I'd use the free ImgBurn to physically Burn to DVD disc.

You can do the same thing, if you direct En to Burn and ISO file to a folder. ImgBurn will handle that for you too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: DVD archive to HD

Hunt

It looks it works with IMG Burner

So the question has been answerd.

Thanks

Chris

• 8. Re: DVD archive to HD

Chris,

Glad that it worked for you, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

BTW - which answer did you think was the best?

• 9. Re: DVD archive to HD
                          John T Smith CommunityMVP

I have not bought one of these (yet) but the idea looks interesting to easily copy files to an external drive

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1731