• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 'This topic was created from a Master Page and the header or footer has been modified'

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I edit topics that have a Master Page applied to them, RH8 will sometimes say: Headers and Footers - This topic was created from a Master Page and the header or footer has been modified.  What's confusing me is that this message can come up when all I've done is add some text half way down the page, no where near the header or footer.

At first I thought it was happening because my colleague added some text to the body area of the Master Page, but even with body area left blank the message still sometimes pops up.

Any suggestions?  Am I missing something obvious or fundamental?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've done something to make matters worse.  On the Master Page I've removed everything from the body area, so that it only contains header and footer content.  Now every single topic I edit tells me I've modified the header and footer.  I'm utterly baffled, because even the View toolbar says I'm only editing the body of the topics and I can see no obvious changes when I work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've cracked it.  We update and re-publish our manual almost every day, so I added "Updated:" and an auto-updating date field to the header of the Master Page.  This was the cause of my problem.  Every time I edited a topic, the date in the header would automatically update, making RoboHelp think the Master Page had changed.  The reason it confused me was because whenever I told it to only apply the changes to the current topic it would remove the banner image.  I still don't know why it did that, but replacing the auto-updated field with a user variable (that I manually update) seems to have resolved the problem.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem, except that I don't use an autodate or anything like that in my footer or header. And, I believe the reason your banner disappeared is that RH disassociated your topic from the master page when you chose not to apply the change to all topics. I used to experience this problem in RH 7 quite a bit, but, for a reason unknown to me, it hasn't happened in a while. While trying out a trial version of RH 8, though, it's been happening a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only ever used RoboHelp 8, but now you mention it, my colleague used 5X and 7 without incident.  Perhaps there's something about RH8 that makes it more temporamental?

I have noticed the following:

• If you edit a Master Page while topics are open, RH8 says the topic is different and you get the change prompt.
  • Editing topics in HTML causes the prompt to occur a lot more often.

The first point does make sense, so it can be avoided by closing down all topics before editing a Master Page.  The reason for second point is a mystery to me.

I will say this, I think this prompt needs a 3rd option to re-apply the Master Page to the current topic.  That would save a lot of hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I once accepted the changes and then diffed against the original that I had in source

control. It turns out that RH had inserted an empty <p> element at the top of the <body>

element (or something like that; I don't remember for sure, but the effect was an empty

line at the top of the page). And this happens without me going into the HTML editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp