12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2009 8:12 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?

zjimbo

I just swithced from CS3 to CS4. The process went well and I did not have to reinstall CS4 to access my projects; thanks to all your help.

After installing CS4 I uninstalled CS3 then I defragged.

Now rendering takes a very long time in CS4.

What is the magic button I need to push to speed things up?

I have Vista 64 bit

8GB RAM

6000X2 at3.1Hz processor

• 1. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what you're trying to do.  What is your intended final destination format and codec?  What are you using for source footage?  What are your sequence settings (post a screenshot, please)?  What are your export settings (another screenshot, please)?

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            After installing CS4 I uninstalled CS3 then I defragged.

Uninstalling CS3 can break the CS4 installation. You may need to install CS4 again to get it working properly. Also, before rendering, delete the render files and clean the media cache, then exit PR and reopen PR. It will recreate the indexed and conformed files as needed. Now render. Does it improve performance? Try to run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark test and report the results to Bill. That will enable you and us to see what may be wrong to cause these long render times.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
              zjimbo Level 1

Huh....I don't even know what all that means.

But I will do what I can on my end and get back later with the results.

Jim (The Computer Retard)

P.S. First I will see what Codec means....I just wanna' make a movie.

• 4. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                zjimbo Level 1

I didn't mean Harm's stuff.....I can do that.

• 5. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

What Jeff meant is that if you have DV material, rendering will be pretty quick, if you have HDV material it will take significantly longer and if you have AVCHD material that will really take some time. On all these sources, applying effects like color correction, using MB Looks, and the like, will take even longer. Running the PPBM4 benchmark test will show if there is something wrong with your computer setup or not. If it looks OK, we can than dig into your specific project and effects to try to explain what could be the cause of these long render times.

• 6. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Is the slow render issue happening when you open a CS3 *.prproj with Premiere CS4?  We've had many issues with CS3 projects opened with CS4.  For example, stuttering video that has blur effects applied.  I recommend you avoid doing that. Many have reported that CS3 and CS4 can peacefully co-exist on the same system. That may be your solution if you need to revisit CS3 projects.

Then of course there is the issue of hardware specs. CS4 runs great on the new Intel i7 processors with lots of RAM...6GB+. Harm has a good article on video editing hardware specs. The only point I disagree with is on packing a full tower case full of high capacity hard drives. We have found that in many cases when one of our editing system slows to a crawl, the cause is a hard drive that has one type of issue or another. One workaround if you want to load up on internal drives is a quality hot-swappable cage that holds multiple drives. Kingwin has a model for instance that holds 4 drives and uses up only 3 DVD-sized computer case openings. There could be drive cooling issues with the Kingwin product because the included fans are small and some have claimed, "cheap".

We use the Panasonic P2 cameras. The video looks great and the resolution is all that we need for the type of work that we do. Editing is smooth when we edit P2 on external drives connected via E-Sata. This keeps the internal drives to a minimum.

I would take a look at the new SSDs for your system drive, and install two additional internal drives. Look at the consumer drive ratings on newegg.com.  For example, some of the Seagate 1.5's have reliability issues.

• 7. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Jeff also alluded to export settings, your delivery format (DVD, BRD, etc.) I do not know whether that is applicable at this moment because you talked about rendering and not about encoding. However, since you admitted to being fairly new, this link http://forums.adobe.com/thread/498251?tstart=0 may be helpful to ensure that you use the proper terms in your questions.

• 8. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Charles,

an alternative would be the SuperMicro hot-swappable cages that house 5 disks in a 3 bay heigh space and the cooling can be pretty good.

DSC00039.jpg

• 9. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                          zjimbo Level 1

Man we are way off base for me....I'm the guy who through it was a handy cup holder that popped out when you pushed that button. out loud.

But I did get things to speed up when I did the 2 things Harm suggested. I copied those phrases and Googled them. I learned what to do.

YEA....I went from saying it would take over 3 hours to now taking about 30 minutes.

Please let me ask for comparison:

I have 110 Video Previews in HD.

The Project is 10 minutes long with a lot of text and transitions.

It says about 30 minutes to render.

Is that normal?

Will it get faster rendering when I get my second SATA HHD and end the portion thing?

I am going to start a new thread about adding another HDD when I get this rendering fixed.

Oh...thanks Harm. I made of copy of those terms in "Manifest Technology". I have a lot of studying to do.

Jim

• 10. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                            zjimbo Level 1

Opps...I hit the points button before I got an answer. I though that button was for that single answer. I did not realize it would show the question as answered complety.  I got it now.

• 11. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Glad to hear that it helped reduce your render times. Now when you add a second disk and possibly a third, I would not be surprised to see your render times go down from 30 to around 25 minutes or even a bit lower. The major bottleneck is your AMP CPU when editing HDV/AVCHD and AMD is not up to Intel currently. If you mail your results from the PPBM4 benchmark to Bill we can see how you do in comparison to others.

Meanwhile, happy editing.

• 12. Re: How do I fix CS4 from rendering very slow?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

A proper I/O sub-system, i.e., your HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type and how they are allocated, will have a positive effect. Harm's statement of 5% is probably good. I'd have guessed 5 - 10%. Getting rid of ALL partitions will also have positive effects and maybe in the same range of an improvement.

With the AVCHD material, your CPU will hold the real key.

The Export format/CODEC will also affect your times.

Good luck,

Hunt