1 2 3 4 Previous Next 143 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2010 7:26 AM by stefan3d2 Go to original post RSS
      • 80. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
        Siptár Ábel

I've got a Dell notebook with intel 965 chipset too, and I would be very glad to finally use the full features of Photoshop CS4! BEFORE CS5 arrives:)!!

• 81. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
          Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP

and now you know why anybody who knows a bit about video cards considers intel video cards as the worst thing on the planet. Crappy performance with even crappier drivers. Intel video cards are good as long as you don't use them. Stick to browsing the web and playing minesweeper and it'll work just fine, just don't give it anything more than that or you'll get these kind of problems

• 82. PLEASE help hp dv4-1125nr not working with opengl
            ericuf Community Member

I thought it was working ... but now whenever I try and transform an image, the image goes black . Someone posted a link for an updated driver with windows vista 64 bit, but when I installed it it said it was incompatible with my computer.  From one Eric to another Eric, please help!!

• 83. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
              Anastasiy Safari Community Member

It seems to me the Intel ship is sinking A half of the year passed since this issue's discovery.
              Maybe the drivers team at Intel got fired? They promised to fix it and disappeared forever. The drivers on Intel's site are not updated for several months

Time to switch the vendor.

• 84. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP

no, it's not sinking. Intel GPUs have been like this since forever. They're cheap and good if you don't use them (web browsing, playing Solitaire, stuff like that) but the drivers and the hardware itself is too weak for anything even remotely graphics intensive

• 85. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

The Intel hardware seems to me ok! They install it on Macs, you know. And it works fine on that platform.

But they stopped writing and updating drivers for Windows several months ago.

It's an alarming symptom like Intel is going down or something...

• 86. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                    Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP
                    The Intel hardware seems to me ok! They install it on Macs, you know.

so what? you think that if they put it in a shiny white case that it'll run better? Like i said, the hardware is "fine" if you don't actually use it. Give it something stronger than Aero to chew and it'll choke. I really don't know what is worse in the intel IGPs, the hardware or the software, i mean they actually released an IGP in late 2007 that was weaker hardware wise than the very first GeForce that was released in 1999

But they stopped writing and updating drivers for Windows several months ago.

It's an alarming symptom like Intel is going down or something...

it's nothing alarming, they've been doing this sort of stuff for ages. People that buy computers with intel IGPs in them don't care about the video card on their system because good video cards are needed only if you game right? well, not anymore

• 87. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

>so what? you think that if they put it in a shiny white case that it'll run better?

Yep, I've been working on Mac Book with Intel X3100 on board - the Photoshop is running perfectly under MacOSX. I think it's because

Apple delivers their shiny working drivers on time.

> it's nothing alarming, they've been doing this sort of stuff for ages.

>People that buy computers with intel IGPs in them don't care about the video card on

>their system because good video cards are needed only if you game right? well, not anymore

Well, Intel was updating its drivers for integrated graphics under Windows for some time. Several months ago they stopped. I think something

went wrong inside the company. Maybe they won't be updating it ever from now on...

• 88. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                        Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP
                        Yep, I've been working on Mac Book with Intel X3100 on board - the Photoshop is running perfectly under MacOSX

Statistically speaking, the experience of just one person doesn't mean squat. If you were talking about your experience with Photoshop and that of your 1000+ friends then sure, i'd take it into consideration but anything lower and you can easily skew the results to mean whatever you want them to.

Apple delivers their shiny working drivers on time.

doesn't work that way, intel develops the drivers on all platforms. The other option would be for intel to give access to the full hardware specifications to Apple who would then have to set up a team that would need to learn how that hardware operates and then start from scratch with the drivers (not gonna happen)

Well, Intel was updating its drivers for integrated graphics under Windows for some time. Several months ago they stopped. I think something

went wrong inside the company. Maybe they won't be updating it ever from now on...

They mostly stopped updating the x3100 drivers because the x4500 came out and so they shifted their focus to that one (standard practice for intel)

• 89. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

So, you're thinking Intel will never update the drivers for X3100?

That will be very disappointing! Why did I buy my tablet PC that will never receive the fully functional drivers for work?

Why sould one ever buy a PC that will never get the fully functional drivers!!!!!!

It's definitely the time to switch the vendor.

• 90. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                            Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP

I said "mostly", the latest drivers for the x3100 came out in March so they aren't that old.

That will be very disappointing! Why did I buy my tablet PC that will never receive the fully functional drivers for work?

Why sould one ever buy a PC that will never get the fully functional drivers!!!!!!

you have to realize that intel IGPs are made for grandma and grandpa, they're not designed for professional use. The reason why intel IGPs are found in so many laptops is because nobody cared about the GPU until recently and so they just used the cheapest solution on the market.

• 91. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

Grandma and grandpa will never buy IBM/Lenovo X61 tablet So I guess Intel is trying to target the professional market.

Though they're failing I still can't believe I bought an expensive computer that is not going to function properly,

because Intel is not going just to do the basic thing - provide the proper drivers.

• 92. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP
                                So I guess Intel is trying to target the professional market.Though they're failing

doesn't work that way, it's Lenovo who decided to put an intel IGP in their laptops, not the other way around. Most professional apps still haven't taken advantage of the GPUs and things were even worse when your laptop was released (mid 2007). The thing is that you either go with intel IGPs, nvidia IGPs (but intel offers discounts when buying CPU+IGP so you won't see many of these) or an intel IGP and a dedicated GPU from ati or nvidia. Now the question is, how many of your potential buyers will want a more expensive and bigger laptop that also has a decent GPU?

Before the launch of the last 3 generation of intels IGPs they have promissed that they'll have good hardware and drivers but this hasn't been the case yet. And guess what, they're claming the same thing with their next generation of IGPs

• 93. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                  hotdog10 Community Member

hi guys,

im running the intel 965 chipset too and experiencing same crashing problems.

any news about the latest intel driver that will solve the problem? or anyone has any tested solutions to it?

• 94. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                    dec9 Community Member

A while ago a Intel guy posted that they were working on drivers. Have not seen this Intel guy post in a long while. Best bet is to check the Intel website.

• 95. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                      hotdog10 Community Member

the intel website hasn't update its drivers too, its still 7.15.10.1666 as mentioned in the previus posts..

sigh, i wouldn't have got this laptop had i known of this intel bug with cs4

• 96. X3100 is incompatible with Photoshop CS4
                                        Mikey Mic Community Member

FOR ALL PEOPLE FOUND THIS THREAD by googling - like me. This one appears first

when searching for compatibility probs between Photoshop CS4 & Intel cards. So anyone

who came here by searching - this intel card is NOT fully compatible with Photoshop CS4!

IT'S NOT. DON'T BUY a laptop with Intel integrated cards if you want full compatibility.

I bought my laptop and after several weeks of crashing by Intel drivers I'm selling it out!

I was searching why is it happening all around forums and finally came to this thread and read

it from the beginning till end. I found that Intel is NOT going to fix these incompatibility issues

which is frustrating users for almost a year. As I read in this thread Intel promised to fix it several times,

and they DON'T. So THEY WON'T.

It's a tip for anyone came to this thread by googling.

• 97. Re: X3100 is incompatible with Photoshop CS4
                                          Chrono X

I just thought I'd add this since I've been trying to find a solution to the same compatibility issues. I installed Windows 7 RC Build 7127 last weekend and the 3D menu in Photoshop CS4 Extended works just fine. I tested it with and without the v11.0.1 update and it worked both times. The only thing though is that when you use the actual 3D features you get an error message stating "Your video card does not meet the requirements for hardware-accelerated 3D rendering. All 3D will be rendering using software only" Everything works totally fine and as advertised afterwards. I found this quite interesting because the problem apparently exists in Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 but not Windows 7 Ultimate RC 7127. I'm running the 32bit version of Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61, X3100 Intel chipset with 1GB of ram. I hope this info helps.

• 98. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                            Siptár Ábel Community Member

Hi Eric!

It's a long time, we've heard about you...

How is it going with the new driver (with phtsshop cs4f support) for the x3100? Will it be ready this Christmas??

Or should I simply try not to buy my next notebook with an Intel videocard in it, because Intel doesn't support his own hardware??

• 99. Re: X3100 is incompatible with Photoshop CS4
                                              dec9 Community Member

How did you get a copy of RC 7127? The plumbers must be pretty busy trying to plug them leaks.

• 100. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP

if you want to actually use the video card then don't use Intel "cards" as they have always had horrible drivers and very weak hardware.

• 101. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                  OtherSteve

Hey guys, original topic author here...

Still nothing on this?  Come on, it can't be so hard that it takes a year to solve...

Heck, in less than another year I'll have an entirely different laptop!

If and when a solution is provided, I'll publicize it to our niche geek audience on http://www.digitalchumps.com.

Steve

• 102. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                    Zeno Bokor CommunityMVP

Don't tell us, tell Intel, they're the ones who can't be bothered to make a decent video card driver

• 103. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                      dec9 Community Member

Come on now. You claim you are a geek right? Any true computer geek would never buy a laptop with intel graphics and expect CS4 to run on it. Did you not read the posts? Plus It is all over the web about lack of Intel graphic chip updates (simple google search). Least Nvidia and ATI are starting to post laptop chip updates on their websites on a regular basis. Some Intel person posted long ago that they were working on drivers for CS4 so you need to go the Intel website as suggested.

• 104. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                        OtherSteve Community Member

dec9,

You don't think I've checked all these things already?  Also, were I not a man of resolve, I might find your condecension a bit insulting.  I am, in fact, a geek, and whether or not you're aware of it, integrated chips in laptops are more frequently an intelligent choice for mobile professionals these days--regardless of their applications within the realm of photo/video editing.  They're considerably more power-efficient, they run cooler, and in conjunction with today's faster processors, they provide more than enough oomph to get you through practically any kind of productivity-related activity.

Case in point, I do frequent HD video production via Sony Vegas on my Windows 7 RTM laptop machine here and never experience issues relating to bottlenecked video performance from the chip.  It's Photoshop CS4 that has failed to run as I'd expected, and the chip clearly supports all of the necessary instruction sets and functions to do so.  It's more than powerful enough... I'm just hoping for a simple driver solution to enable these features specifically within CS4.  If you read far enough into the thread, it's clear that Intel has not yet provided that, but that they are still in the process of doing so.  I just want to know when!

Steve

• 105. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                          dec9 Community Member

It was a little cheap uncalled for swipe.

The Intel person has never came back after the last post nor posted in another thread. Hope the person wasn't hit with right-sizing as this person really wanted to help Intel owners out.  

• 106. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                            The3DWizard

Ok guys,

here is good news, at least as far as I can see after a very short time of testing. I'm running windows 7 professional and adobe photoshop cs4 11.0.1 on a x61 tablet, which has the x3100 built in. So far I had problems with any driver (old vista drivers, newest beta intel drivers, ...) not only in photoshop. Concerning photoshop opengl application, I experienced the same problems described in this thread (had to enable old gpus and then graphics driver crashes).

Well, I might have the solution now:

It's a modded intel 4 series driver, which works flawless so far for me. It's a modded vista 32bit driver, which seems to work fine under windows 7, too. Concerning photoshop there is no need for enabling old gpus like with the intel 4 series cards and at least in my short test I didn't experience any graphics driver crashes.

If anybody knows of newer modded 4 series drivers for the x3100 cpu, please let me know. I'm also interested in your experience.

Here are some links to the drivers, which I have from another forum, which should work:

http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fileducky.com%2FcbkaTiBw%2F

http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rapidspread.com%2Ffile.jsp%3 Fid%3Ddzrr6vdd4q

http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uploadjockey.com%2Fdownload% 2F3985694%2FGFX_Vista32_15.13.3.1787_PV_Intel.rar

• 107. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                              Siptár Ábel Community Member

Hi!

Finally some good news!!!

Is there any 64-bit version of the modded driver? I'm using windows7 ultimate 64bit, so this modded driver doesn't work for me:(

I already searched for a 64bit version, but didn' find anything yet...

• 108. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                                The3DWizard Community Member

Hi,

I didn't see any modded 64bit drivers out there yet. But I recently did some investigation on how to do the modding and maybe I can mod a 64bit driver for you. But no guarantee on that. It's late now, so I will check what I can do for you tomorrow.

Greetings

• 109. Vista 64 modded driver test

Hi,

as I have written yesterday I took a try today in modding the vista64 driver, which should work on Windows Ultimate 64bit. If anyone want's to test it do the following:

-Go to the intel download page and download the zip version (not the exe version) of the vista 64bit driver (not windows 7 64bit) driver with Driver Revision: 15.13.4.64.1829. At this time, this should be the most recent one.

-Extract the zip file onto your harddisk and go into the Graphics subfolder.

-Replace the igdlh64.inf file with the one I attached to this post.

-Run the setup.exe file and install the driver.

So all you have to do is actually replace the igdlh64.inf file.

Hopefully this works.

If not, boot with safe mode into your OS and uninstall the driver via the software menu and everything should be as it has been before trying the driver, so there is no risk trying things out.

Greetings

• 110. Re: Vista 64 modded driver test
                                                                    dec9 Community Member

The attachment did not come thru.

• 111. Vista 64 modded driver test link

Hi,

I just got an error when posting. The message showed up, but the attachment didn't make it.

So I uploaded it to an external service. Here is the link: http://www.file-upload.net/download-1911521/igdlh64.zip.html

On instructions for using this see my post above (without the attachment).

Greetings.

• 112. Re: Vista 64 modded driver test link
                                                                        dec9 Community Member

Yup, here now. Just wanted to let you know. Also, I don't have that chipset but I do hope it helps others.

• 113. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                                          sanshinron

I can confirm that gpu acceleration works with those modded drivers, however I am unable to watch video because display driver crashes every time. I even tried to mod various 4 series drivers myself, but I still cannot watch movies. This is propably caused by intel clearvideo technology. Anyone knows how to disable it?

• 114. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

Hi,

I may be wrong, but reinstalling the driver just on top of the already installed modded driver should get rid of any video issues. For some reason drivers didn't install correctly the first time (tried that with multiple drivers). If your driver is properly installed can be checked by going to the software menu, selecting the intel driver and click on uninstall. If an error occurs, the driver wasn't properly installed. Go ahead and install the driver just on top of the already installed one.

What I can report for sure is, that I'm on Windows 7 Professional 32bit now with the modded version of the intel 4 series driver with revision 15.13.6.1908, which can be found here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1759 4/a08/GFX_Vista32_15.13.6.1908_PV_Intel.exe&agr=&ProductID=&DwnldId=17594&strOSs=&OSFullNa me=&lang=eng

To install the driver on your x3100 system, use the installation procedure I described above with the 64bit driver but use this igdlh.inf file instead:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1918609/igdlh.inf.html

Greetings

• 115. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                                              sanshinron Community Member

@The3DWizard

Thanks for quick answer. Yesterday I reinstalled proper x3100 drivers on top of modded ones, and I was still able to turn on gpu accel (at lest parts of it). Now I have interpolation on all zoom levels, but I cannot use bird's eye, flick, and 3d rotating functions. I'm gonna try to install modded drivers twice now.

BTW here's the procedure to mod drivers yourself (I modded newest vista drivers, the ones for win7 crash immediately after startup):

Go to the [Intel.Mfg] and change %iCNTG0% its value into iCNT0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02 ------------- (2A02 refers to your PCI ID *Mine in this case* -- You can obtain this from device manager)

Here the changes you need to do for x3100

from:

Code:
                                                                              %iCNTG0% = iCNT0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42
                                                                              %iCNTG1% = iCNT1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A43
                                                                              %iEGLG0% = iEGL0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E02
                                                                              %iEGLG1% = iEGL1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E03

To:

Code:
                                                                              %iCNTG0% = iCNT0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02
                                                                              %iCNTG1% = iCNT1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A03
                                                                              %iEGLG0% = iEGL0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A12
                                                                              %iEGLG1% = iEGL1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A13

you can at this point stop, but I found in my laptop the performance gets bad unless you change these (In our example you should apply this):

Code:
                                                                              [iCNT0.GeneralConfigData]
                                                                              MaximumNumberOfDevices = 2
                                                                              MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 512

[iCNT1.GeneralConfigData]

[iEGL0.GeneralConfigData]

[iEGL1.GeneralConfigData]

To:

Code:
                                                                              [iCNT0.GeneralConfigData]
                                                                              MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 256

[iCNT1.GeneralConfigData]

[iEGL0.GeneralConfigData]

[iEGL1.GeneralConfigData]
                                                                              • 117. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                                                StasA2

I didn't have any success installing original X3100 drivers over a modded ones. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

With the modded drivers I'm having crashes when playing video and frequent crashes with flash movies - while GPU acceleration is OK.

With original X3100 drivers I'm not having GPU acceleration but video is OK.

When I try to install the original X3100 drivers over the modded ones, they just replace the modded drivers and GPU acceleration with Photoshop CS4 stops working

So I'm having either video playback or GPU acceleration + crashes.

Does anyone have a success under Windows 7 with GPU acceleration and video playback at the same time?

P.S. When I'm enabling the "OLD GPU" feature, with original drivers on the top of the modded ones, the GPU acceleration becomes available, but works with lots of bugs, black screens etc...

• 118. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100

As already written in my post 114 I am running windows 7 with the modified drivers from post 114 with gpu acceleration in photoshop cs 4 and without any video crashes.

What I recommend anyone having problems:

- Always uninstall the driver you don't want to use anymore properly (so no install on top of a x3100 driver!).

- Use the newest modified Vista driver, which currently is the one from my post 114 above.

- After install of the modified driver open the installed software menu and check if there is an entry for the intel driver with an computer icon next to it. Click on it and choose to uninstall, if the uninstall routine starts everything should be fine. Cancel the uninstallation routine. If you get an error, that the driver might already have been uninstalled or something like that, go ahead and install the modified driver again, without uninstalling the partially installed one. I had issues with registry settings not being correct, but they were gone after the second installation.

But, my install isn't perfect, too. Sometimes it takes pretty long for the system to get going after sleep or when the display has been shut off. I guess these are power saving issues with the drivers. But similar problems occurred for me, when using a vista driver for the x3100 graphics card without any modifications. I don't have much hope, that intel will address any of our problems with the x3100 drivers in windows 7, so if anybody knows of a way to get windows 7 drivers of the 4 series working with the x3100 please let me know.

• 119. Re: CS4 GPU Acceleration and Intel X3100
                                                                                    StasA2 Community Member

The3DWizard, thank you!

But which kind of software are you using for watching the video? I installed the driver from your post #114 again

(the file name is GFX_Vista32_15.13.6.1908_PV_Intel.exe, am I correct?) and now the GPU acceleration is working,

but I wasn't able to watch video neither in Windows Media Player nor in Windows Media Center.

Although, Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema (not MS's one) plays divx correctly! I didn't try

DVDs, Bluerays or AVC video yet. Do you use WMP?