• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Skinny on Skins update

Advisor ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone using Rick Stone's Skinny on Skins file (webhelp.chm), "Using additional page images in the TOC," I discovered two things (which you could add to your file, Rick, if you ever feel the need to update it).

1. MERGED PROJECT - If the TOC entry is in a child project's TOC (of a merged project), you still must edit the root's whthost.js file, not the child's (unless, of course, you're also publishing the child project separately, somewhere else). (The image you're using must also be in the merged project's parent directory.)

2. TOOLTIP FORMATTING - The title (tooltip) can be customized by replacing the "+sName+" from title=\""+sName+"\" (the double quotes are not for emphasis, they're from the whthost.js file - remove them, too). In addition, you can use the JavaScript newline element (\n) to format the layout of the tooltip into multiple lines instead of the single-line default.

For example, this code:

title=\"Version 8 new features,\nenhancements, and known \nissues, in PDF format\"

would result in this tooltip format:

Version 8 new features,
enhancements, and known
issues, in PDF format

God, I love this stuff!

Leon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone succesfully customized Book entries in a similar fashion to Rick's instructions on the Page images? Since I figured out how to also customize the tooltip for specific pages, I'd sure like to add that "title=\"MyCustomTooltip\" to my top-level books as well! All attempts on my part have proved fruitless, both in the writeBook(nIdx) and writeBookItems(nIdx,num) functions.

Wishin' and-a hopin'
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 29, 2008 Dec 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here we are a year later, so I'll try again.

Has anyone figured out how to customize TOC books (different image and custom tooltip), in a similar fashion to Rick's tip on TOC pages in his Skinny on Skins? All my attempts have resulted in an infinite loop that won't open the TOC at all.

Sure would be nice...

Leon

================

Oh, and while I'm wishing, how about a horizontal rule in the TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

I have only looked at the book icon issue. In the navigation tab of the skin editor you can specify an image for an opened and closed book. I just tested it and it works correctly. I can't help thinking that I have missed something in your question.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Here's my take on what Leon is wanting. I think he is wanting an ability for WebHelp that we have in the world of .CHM files. That would be an ability to specify a different book or page for almost each element of the TOC. In CHM files, we may choose from 42 different images. So if your TOC had a total of 42 points, you could theoretically have a different icon for each point in the TOC.

With WebHelp, it's an all or nothing situation. All books or all pages must look identical.

Then again, like my wife's hairdresser, only Leon knows for sure!

Just my .02 worth. Hmmm, with today's economy, that may be more like .0000000000002!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Peter, not the skin options: I'm referring to Rick's tip on editing the "function writeAnItem(nIdx)" section of the whthost.js output file for customizing TOC pages, which I'm using already. I was hoping to do the same with books (and maybe add some horizontal rules as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as Rick suggests, you want more than one book icon?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. From my 12/19/2008 post:

"Has anyone figured out how to customize TOC books (different image and custom tooltip), in a similar fashion to Rick's tip on TOC pages in his Skinny on Skins?"

I'd actually forego the different image; it's the custom tooltip I'm really after (number 2 in my initial 11/28/2007 post).

And, oh yeah, a horizontal rule (somewhat similar to the separator lines used in dropdown menus).

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, nearly another year has passed, and I'd still like the ability to customize RH8 WebHelp TOC book tooltips and images, on a book-by-book basis. (Oh, and maybe adding horizontal rules here and there?)

Sure would be great!

I've periodically tried doing similar code changes in the function writeBook(nIdx) section, but the help won't open; instead, it goes into an endless loop trying to find the whtdhtml.htm file. I'm just not proficient enough in JS to make this work, so I'm hoping someone can help.

Thx,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp