• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Asking for patience

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several time-consuming reports to generate; unfortunately, my users are impatient and think that the report they request is not working, because they take a longer.

I have seen on other websites some indication, like a spinning hand in a clock or a bar showing progress or just words explaining that the report is being run; I have tried to have a message on the page, but when the request is submitted the page doesn't come up until the report is finished.

Is there some way I can interpose a page that will be on the screen so that I can let my users know that the report is being generated?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use an intermediate page.

Page 1 has the form

Page 2 validates the form data, converts all form variables to session variables, displays something, and cfincludes Page 3.

Page 3 produces the report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can he use CFFLUSH?

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/Tags_f_12.html#2130748

Ken Ford

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The challenge with cfflush is that whatever you flush out initially stays on the page when everything else is there unless you do something to get rid of it.  And, getting rid of it might result in white space instead of having the rest of the page content coming back to the top.

Also, there are occasions where cfflush crashes the page because of the code that follows it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do "clocks" and such with animated GIFs, but if your reports are taking "a long time" now, the only thing that you can be sure of is that they will soon take even more, ad infinitum.

Perhaps you can sell them on the idea that reports will be generated upon request and e-mailed to them.  Try to get beyond the notion of "instant gratification" with regard to reporting, because this produces a potentially-unlimited (and always, very repetitive) workload on the server.  You are not a hardware salesman . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation